Looking for some sweet headphones - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 03-22-2012, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is my first post. Normally I just browse the forums in search of my answers. However I feel Id rather just ask all you pros. I am looking for some high quality headphones I can use everyday on my way to work. I'll be using them with my iPhone 4 and FLAC files. I've been looking at Senheisser HD555 and up. I'm willing to spend about $250 on them and then purchase a portable amp as well as a line out dock for my phone. Hit me with what you guys have got!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 03-22-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Del Priore View Post

This is my first post. Normally I just browse the forums in search of my answers. However I feel Id rather just ask all you pros. I am looking for some high quality headphones I can use everyday on my way to work. I'll be using them with my iPhone 4 and FLAC files. I've been looking at Senheisser HD555 and up. I'm willing to spend about $250 on them and then purchase a portable amp as well as a line out dock for my phone. Hit me with what you guys have got!

Check out head-fi.org. Lots of good headphone info there.
post #3 of 32 Old 03-22-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

http://www.avguide.com/buyers-guide/...le+Articles%29
post #4 of 32 Old 03-23-2012, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Sennheiser's too soft. The new PSB M4U headphones look very interesting and knowing PSB they don't do stuff unless they're killer products.
post #5 of 32 Old 03-23-2012, 04:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
Quote:

If you've got the bucks, this is a good choice.
post #6 of 32 Old 03-23-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Just a question/thought - the HD 555 are what is known as an "open-back" headphone, meaning they don't make any attempt to block out noise from the outside world. This probably isn't the best idea if your morning commute is similar to mine/most people I know - your fellow commuters (on the train/bus/subway/airplane/ferry/whatever) will not appreciate it.

If you're intending to use these while you're driving a car, I'm fairly sure that's illegal, but I'm not certain; even if it is legal, it strikes me as kind of dangerous. Use the car stereo.

A few years ago I picked up a pair of "in ear" type headphones to use on the train, they block out the noise of the train (my primary goal) and let me listen to music (my secondary goal), they were around $100 and have survived a few mobile phones; quite decent if you ask me. They're Denon something, forget the exact model - they're black, aluminum (or some kind of metal), found them on Amazon; wish I could tell you more (I think they're called something like "A700" or "A750").
post #7 of 32 Old 03-23-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

+1 to all...

if for a commute on public transportation, a pair of good iem's is the ticket... can the separate amp, it's unlikely to be necessary...

if for in a car while you are driving, anything you put in or over your ears is a VERY BAD IDEA....

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #8 of 32 Old 03-23-2012, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I live in NYC so my commute is mostly an express bus and then a train for 3 stops so I don't really need noise canceling.

And I know they're open headphones, but I also want them for home use also which is why I was really considering the HD598's (only real downfall is the 10ft cord while commuting)

In ears are out of the question because I just downright hate them.
post #9 of 32 Old 03-23-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 471
I hate in ears earbuds as well. The pressure putting them in when they seal, or taking them out bothers me. I also hate them when they are in because everytime the cord moves you hear that cord movement in your ears.

Therefore the Bose IE2 are phenominally better than any earbud or ear channel phone I've ever used. They are open air, like the Sennheiser, allowing you to hear other sounds as well, which is important if you are interacting with a commute or real world - - - but still sound absolutely great.

I've had and owned a lot of headphones, including Grados up to SR225, and Sennheisers up to HD600. I love the HD535. Not a big fan of the HD570. Like the HD580, and HD595 is what I currently own. The HD-535 is an over the ear gem! If you can find it on ebay it's one of my favorite Sennheisers.

Af for earbuds I've owned lots there too including the Ultimate Ears Tripple Fi 10. I like the Bose IE2 better than any other earbud I've listened to. By far my fav. No pressure, great sound, great hold, very comfy, no noise when cord brushes clothing, very small and transportable!
http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/...ones/index.jsp

As for heaphones get the Senn HD595 or HD535 in my experience.

I'm an open air headphone sound guy though. I like that much better than closed/sealed.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

post #10 of 32 Old 03-23-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback. I live in NYC so my commute is mostly an express bus and then a train for 3 stops so I don't really need noise canceling.

And I know they're open headphones, but I also want them for home use also which is why I was really considering the HD598's (only real downfall is the 10ft cord while commuting)

You're trying to get too many things out of one set, to be quite honest. Open headphones will require an extreme output level to be audible in such a commuting environment = hearing damage. They're fine for home use though. Consider some closed-back headphones (it is not the same as "noise canceling" like the Bose QuietComfort offer), or other options designed for more mobile/outdoors use.
post #11 of 32 Old 03-23-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I would recommend the triple fi 3's or the paradigm shifts. Both are outstanding iem's, ESP if driven with external amplification.
post #12 of 32 Old 03-23-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
If you get a set of IEM's with under 20ohms an amp will not be necessary are would you tell the difference unless you are young and listen at insane levels.
I have been using UE sfi5 with my iPhone/iPad and iPod all selections are in lossless and sound great. Spend the money you would put in an amp and headphones and put them in a great set of IEM's less to carry around and you will get better sound for the money spent.
post #13 of 32 Old 03-24-2012, 05:18 AM

Quote:

... I'll be using them with my iPhone 4 and FLAC files. ...

Since when do apple products play FLAC files??? I'm certain that rockbox is not available for the iphone4 and they don't imod iphones either

Rather than rewrite a bunch of stuff, check here for a few full size phones to look at. Although I don't believe you provided enough information for members to give proper recommendations, best to provide as much information as possible. Look here to get an idea of what information is missing, remember the more information you provide the better feedback/recommendations you will get from members posting back
post #14 of 32 Old 03-24-2012, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 471
www.goodcans.com is another good review site.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

post #15 of 32 Old 03-24-2012, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Well I've actually downloaded an app to play them since I did not want to convert to ALAC files. I'm using an app ironically named "FLAC Player".

And from reading the 2 links you left I certainly would have gone for the HD650 but if I were to spend that much on headphones the nagging from my gf would be louder than I could ever get any pair of headphones lol.

That's how I wound up at the HD598's. Just at my budget and I haven't read anything bad about them.

But here's a checklist of what I'm looking for and maybe it will be more helpful

1) I need to be able to commute with them. My commute isn't loud for most of my trip except the 10 minutes I'm on a train so I don't need noise canceling.

2) I want them to be good for home use as well (why spend so much if I can't use them everywhere?)

3) i'm not concerned with other people hearing my music. I live in NYC so if I'm not listening to mine chances are I can hear somebody else's.

4) I don't mind buying a portable amp. I've been looking at the Fiio ones and they have caught my eye.

5) I want to be able to listen to a variety of types of music

6) I would LOVE some bass as long as it doesn't overpower everything.

7) I want them to be comfy. My commute is about 3 hours (both ways)

I appreciate all the feedback you guys are giving, thanks
post #16 of 32 Old 03-24-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:

... That's how I wound up at the HD598's. Just at my budget and I haven't read anything bad about them. ...

Sometimes your first choice can be the best. I can't say anything about the HD598s sound signature/quality as I haven't ever tried them but I'm a Sennheiser fan on some of their products. You are right about your point as the reviews I've read seem very positive, let us know how you like them if you end up getting them ...
post #17 of 32 Old 03-24-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post

Sennheiser's too soft. The new PSB M4U headphones look very interesting and knowing PSB they don't do stuff unless they're killer products.

The dealer I go to just received the PSB headphones. They are excellent but I think the price was $399 so it may be above the budget.
post #18 of 32 Old 03-24-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post

The dealer I go to just received the PSB headphones. They are excellent but I think the price was $399 so it may be above the budget.

I haven't physically seen them other than on the net or even tried them so I can't comment on the sound. What makes you say they're excellent, do you have them or have you tried them?

They remind me of the beats and that's scary because I'm not impressed with beats build quality or sound. Although the folks that tried them at CES had nothing but good things to say about the sound. And the concept of several modes is interesting; passive without battery power, active - running the headphone's built-in amplifier or active - running noise canceling.

Although every time I read that a product includes an in-line remote and microphone for phone use along with the ability to control the players controls. I know that this means they are designed to work with apple products. I've also read that too many people have issues trying to use the TRRS connector with other gear, sometimes it works and most times it does not. I have nothing against apple products if that's your choice but for me I like my gear to work with any and all my sources. That said, the OP did mention that he uses an iPhone 4.
post #19 of 32 Old 03-24-2012, 08:32 PM

Liked: 32
From your description/requirements, I doubt very seriously you will do better (but could do far, far worse) than these cans which I own/use and highly recommend:
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS-...646183&sr=1-12
Quote:

Well I've actually downloaded an app to play them since I did not want to convert to ALAC files. I'm using an app ironically named "FLAC Player".

And from reading the 2 links you left I certainly would have gone for the HD650 but if I were to spend that much on headphones the nagging from my gf would be louder than I could ever get any pair of headphones lol.

That's how I wound up at the HD598's. Just at my budget and I haven't read anything bad about them.

But here's a checklist of what I'm looking for and maybe it will be more helpful

1) I need to be able to commute with them. My commute isn't loud for most of my trip except the 10 minutes I'm on a train so I don't need noise canceling.

2) I want them to be good for home use as well (why spend so much if I can't use them everywhere?)

3) i'm not concerned with other people hearing my music. I live in NYC so if I'm not listening to mine chances are I can hear somebody else's.

4) I don't mind buying a portable amp. I've been looking at the Fiio ones and they have caught my eye.

post #20 of 32 Old 03-24-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And I cannot stress the merits of closed-back headphones enough here; trust me on this, open-back headphones are no good if you're going outside. This is not the same thing as noise-canceling (I feel like we're talking in circles! If you really just want the HD 598, buy them; don't bother asking for advice).

Regarding the other points:
- The HD 595 and 598 (or many other open-backed headphones) do not have very much in the way of "bass impact."

- Using headphones to "block" external noise is a sure-fire way to damage your hearing.

- You do not need any sort of fancy audiophile gadgets to use a pair of headphones; nor are headphones restricted to a single "type" of music. There are, however, headphones designed for home or studio use, and headphones designed for mobile use. The HD 598 are not in the mobile category. They are not designed nor suitable for such an application. Examples of Sennheiser headphones that would be suitable for mobile use would be the HD 280 and 380, or the IE8.

As I've said a few times now - you're looking at the wrong part to satisfy your requirements; if you don't care and just want to buy it, then buy it.

Other products that I would legitimately consider will almost universally be labeled "Studio Monitor" or something along those lines, and will be closed-back headphones designed to stand-up to traveling abuse and constant wear and tear. Such as the Beyerdyanmic DT770, Sony MDR-V6, or Koss DJ100.

None of this requires any sort of "magic box" to work; just like your speakers at home do not require a "magic box" to work - they just require a suitable amplifier. The advantage here is, your iPhone, or iPod, or Walkman, or whatever, happens to have an amplifier inside it. So unless you've picked up a very high impedance set of Beyerdynamic or Sennheiser headphones (like the DT990-600 or HD 650) you won't have any problems; and I'm not suggesting you go pick up one of those sets, neither are the manufacturers (as those products target users who have access to mains AC and are plugging into things like mixing boards or AVRs).
post #21 of 32 Old 03-25-2012, 03:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

When you say train, you don't mean subway, I hope. I'd only try to use IEMs in the subway because its so noisy.

Busses and trains are generally far less noisy.

Quote:

In Sennheiser's line the HD 280 and the HD 380 are the ones that IME isolate best.
post #22 of 32 Old 03-25-2012, 04:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

unless things have changed since i lived there (25 some odd hears ago) yup, he means subway... new yorkers refer to the subway as the train...

and agreed, i'd use iem's, but the op has already ruled them out...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #23 of 32 Old 03-25-2012, 06:35 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

From your description/requirements, I doubt very seriously you will do better (but could do far, far worse) than these cans which I own/use and highly recommend:
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS-...646183&sr=1-12

A reason I suggested these cans was because the base (transmitter) runs on 2 AA bsatteries quite portable (designed for it actually) and last for hours.
post #24 of 32 Old 03-25-2012, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 949
just a suggestion

beyerdynamic dt 1350 these imo are great headphones for travel and at home on the computer. they are very comfy (they have adjustable split headband for better fit) and they have great bass great for all music. just my 2 cents

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #25 of 32 Old 03-25-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

In Sennheiser's line the HD 280 and the HD 380 are the ones that IME isolate best.

They measure like it too!

I think the Beyer DT770 and T70 edge them a bit, and any of the Ultimate Ears or Etymotic stage-craft stuff will be superior to either, but we've already ruled out IEMs.
post #26 of 32 Old 03-26-2012, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Open headphones are an annoyance to those commuting with you in earshot. It comes across like low volume musical gibberish that is as vexing as a loud one-way conversation on cell phone.
post #27 of 32 Old 03-27-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I'm a fan of AudioTechnica AUTATHM50SLE. AKG also has a great lineup.

An audiophile likes to talk about how much they spent and how good it sounds.

A DIY'er likes to talk about how little they spent and how good it sounds.

post #28 of 32 Old 03-27-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjuku View Post

I'm a fan of AudioTechnica AUTATHM50SLE. AKG also has a great lineup.

I have a pair of ATH M50 headphones on this computer, which really work out. Same headphones, just a little different cosmetics AFAIK.

But, they don't have a lot more isolation than open-ear headphones. I'd never recommend them for use in noisy areas.
post #29 of 32 Old 03-27-2012, 08:01 AM

I have the HD598's, but for my tastes they are lacking in the bass a wee bit (although they are a fantastic headphone overall). If I could do it over again I would get the Denon D2000,s which have better bass impact and are closed back.

9G KURO equipped.
post #30 of 32 Old 03-27-2012, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Well I actually decided to pull the trigger on my HD598's so once I get them tomorrow night I'll have more to say. Hopefully it's nothing but good things

Thanks a lot guys
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page