Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bluewizard

post #1 of 7 Old 03-22-2012, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I think I'd like to play with a good room EQ equipped receiver. I'll have 2 mains and 2 subs - so I suppose most of the work will be with smoothing the bass response. 99% of the usage will be music, of many styles. I like listening quite loud, but I am frequently forced to listen at lower volume as well.

I know nothing about current competing room EQ products. Audyssey and Yamaha seem popular, but different. There's also the Sherwood R972. So if I want something with decent power for 2 channels (subs will be powered), outputs for subs, and good options/processing/management for bass, what would folks recommend?

Full disclosure - I am firmly in the Richard Clark 'properly engineered amps are indistinguishable' camp. But I also favor products that last, so reliability is important to me.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-22-2012, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There are many options, start your search with Harman Kardon hk-990 and NAD C390 DD
post #3 of 7 Old 03-22-2012, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Audyssey has never worked well for me, whereas Anthem's ARC has, so I would look there. The Trinnov in the Sherwood is also supposed to be very good, but the units themselves may be a bit buggy.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-22-2012, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The Denon 4311 seems a rounded choice as a first shot, you get MultiEQ XT32, good power output, and it isn't absurdly expensive (some stand-alone processors, like the Trinnov machines or the McIntosh/Lyngdorf processor cost more by themselves); if you're unhappy with the results it shouldn't be impossible to resell or return. If you really want to play with DSP, I'd consider either setting up the DSX options on the Denon, or going with the top-tier Yamaha units and CinemaDSP.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-07-2014, 02:47 PM

NAD C390DD room equalization

Just a note on the 390DD room equalization: I was playing with the equalization function of the 390DD today when I was checking out room resonances in my the TV/audio room of my new residence. There's a strong room mode near 50 Hz in the room, and unfortunately the equalization function of the 390DD is useless in dealing with it. There are two filter frequencies - 60 and 40 Hz in that range and you can adjust the magnitude of the notch or peak as well as the filter width (wide or narrow). Using narrow filters, the 50 Hz frequency isn't affected and using the wide filters has too much effect on frequencies above 60 and below 40. What's really needed is a tunable frequency filter to deal with room modes that don't match up well with the fixed filter frequencies.

The filters do work very well on the frequencies they're designed for and if your room mode(s) happen to be close to one of the fixed filter frequencies you'll probably be satisfied with the results. Otherwise, the room equalization function isn't worth much at all. There's something basically wrong with the .flac files provided by NAD at their website for download to drive the equalization function. Either that, or the 390DD doesn't decode them properly. I ended up using test tones from an old Stereophile test CD to drive the system during the filter adjustment session.

Other than that, the 390DD works flawlessly and CDs that always sounded as if they had a bit of distortion on certain passages sound perfectly clean on the 390DD.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-10-2014, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I think you are going about this all wrong.

When you talk about Room EQ, notice that the first word is ROOM. I am of the firm unshakable opinion, that Room EQ can make a Good Room better, but it absolutely can not make a Bad Room good.

So, start with the room.

What are the dimensions including ceiling height?

Is this a dedicated Home Cinema room or a general Living room?

Describe the room? What is on the walls? What is on the ceiling? What is on the floors?

Is this an open ultra-modern bare room, or is this an old fashion soft furnished cluttered room?

Have you had the room tested? If you haven't had it tested, and if you can't test it after the EQ is done, who will you know if fixed what needed fixing?

Next, it sounds like you have a 2-Channel system. What Amps are you using now? What are you using for Subwoofer Managment? Do you have electronic Sub management, or just the controls in the Subwoofer itself? What was your procedure for balancing the Subs with the Fronts?

What speakers do you have?

What Subs do you have?

Details ...Details ...Details ...the Devil is always in the details.

I ...just me... would NOT use an AV Receiver for a Stereo System. It seems a waste of money and amps. But ...your money ...your life ...spend it how you will.

I would also not have Subwoofers unless I had Electronic Bass Management to control BOTH the Fronts and Sub.

First let's determine if you have a configuration or Acoustic problem before we go spending money on an unnecessary AV Receiver.

As to all amps sounding the same, the direct experience of MILLIONS of audio listeners know that is simply not true ... but it is not a point worth arguing here.

We can not respond properly without sufficient context, so -

What are the dimension of the room?

Give us a general assessment of the room acoustics? A lot of bare surfaces? Windows? Cutains? Carpet? Any acoustical treatments you already have in the room? Softly furnished? Not ... softly furnished? Acoustical Tile on the ceiling?

What amp/amps do you have on this system?

What speakers do you have?

What sources do you have? CD? SACD? BluRay? Turntable? Network Streaming? Other?

The answer to these questions give us a much fuller framework that allows us to give applicable responses. Without this, any responses are going to be scatter shot.

The fact that you want EQ, tells me that you have EQ problems. In knowing your equipment and room, we can get a sense of specifically what the actual problems and potential solutions are. You can EQ all day long, and if the problem is echo/reverb in the room, you are never going to solve it.

You can't solve a problem, until you actually know what the problem is.

So far people have answered your question, but wouldn't you much prefer that we actually help you solve your problems?

Do what you will, I'm just adding my two cents, and my two cents says you are going about this all wrong.

Still ...as I said ...your money ...your life ...spend it how you will.

Steve/bluewzard
TomC1315 likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-12-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS View Post
I think I'd like to play with a good room EQ equipped receiver. I'll have 2 mains and 2 subs - so I suppose most of the work will be with smoothing the bass response. 99% of the usage will be music, of many styles. I like listening quite loud, but I am frequently forced to listen at lower volume as well.

I know nothing about current competing room EQ products. Audyssey and Yamaha seem popular, but different. There's also the Sherwood R972. So if I want something with decent power for 2 channels (subs will be powered), outputs for subs, and good options/processing/management for bass, what would folks recommend?

Full disclosure - I am firmly in the Richard Clark 'properly engineered amps are indistinguishable' camp. But I also favor products that last, so reliability is important to me.

Thank you.
Just my 2 cents: Steve/bluewizard is right. And if you'd like a great, inexpensive DIY introduction to dealing with the room as the (first or second) most important component in your hifi, you might consider visiting Jim Smith's Get Better Sound website (no affiliation).

Good luck! If I can figure this out with a little help, so can you.

Mike
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page