Onkyo 8050 DAC Question ... Help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-24-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So i'm a bit confused about this receiver. As I understand, I can plug in my iPod/iPhone to the 8050, and it will use the internal DAC, correct?

Question, currently a lot of my songs are in iTunes on my Mac Mini ... and I just run a cable out of the headphone jack that splits to the L/R rca cables ... into the Game input (for example) ... I assume that this is not using the DAC then ... correct? Any clarification or explanations are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-24-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamITR View Post

So i'm a bit confused about this receiver. As I understand, I can plug in my iPod/iPhone to the 8050, and it will use the internal DAC, correct?

If you use a LOD connection it bypasses the ipods amp but not its DAC. AFAIK the only way to bypass the onboard DAC is to have it imoded. Way too expensive and AFAIK redwine audio doesn't do it to all ipods only some models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamITR View Post

Question, currently a lot of my songs are in iTunes on my Mac Mini ... and I just run a cable out of the headphone jack that splits to the L/R rca cables ... into the Game input (for example) ... I assume that this is not using the DAC then ... correct?

I don't use Mac's but AFAIK it's actually going thru your computers onboard sound card. The only way to bypass it would be to buy an external USB DAC.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-24-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 28
If you want to ensure your iTunes to use the TX-8050's DAC, simply run an optical cable from your Mac Mini's audio output (you'll need a mini-toslink adaptor for the Mac Mini end of things) to your Onkyo. That way, your Onkyo will do the work.

The way you are currently connected means the Onkyo's DAC may be in use or it may not--it depends upon whether you engage DIRECT or PURE AUDIO on the Onkyo. If you use either one, then your Mac Mini's DAC is doing the work. If you do not use either of those settings, then the Onkyo is converting the analogue signal coming from your Mac Mini to digital and back to analogue at the final stage.

If you want to avoid such extra conversions, then use an optical cable like described above. Otherwise, you can leave things as is.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-24-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk_Good View Post

I don't use Mac's but AFAIK it's actually going thru your computers onboard sound card. The only way to bypass it would be to buy an external USB DAC.

The audio out on Macs is both analogue and digital (optical). Using an optical cable with a mini-toslink adaptor will bypass the Mac's DAC without the unnecessary expense of an external DAC.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-24-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post

The audio out on Macs is both analogue and digital (optical). ...

Thks, good to know even though I don't use a Mac ...
post #6 of 8 Old 03-24-2012, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help!!!!!!
post #7 of 8 Old 04-07-2012, 10:04 PM

My understanding was plugging an iPod/iPhone into the USB port on the front of the 8050 will bypass the iPod's DAC. Is this not the case? The product description of the 8050 on several sites seems to indicate this.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-08-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:

My understanding was plugging an iPod/iPhone into the USB port on the front of the 8050 will bypass the iPod's DAC. Is this not the case?

A USB connection is digital. It has to be bypassing the iPod's DAC.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

Reply 2-Channel Audio