Speakers for Technics SA-5200 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-26-2012, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is my first post but I read this forum often.

I lost my father several years ago. I couldn't bring myself to get rid of his Technics SA-5200 receiver. He bought it in 72' or 73' and bought a set of KLH Model 6's to go with it. It was a nice system at the time. He also had a Technics turntable, long gone, and I don't know the model number.

This stereo introduced me to great music.

I am having the receiver "refurbished." The Panasonic dealership where he purchased it is still in business. The owner is a personal friend and I'm excited about having this done.

I am researching what speakers to pair with it. Bookshelf speakers are ideal. The Cambridge Soundworks Model 6 is an option for no other reason than Kloss designed them and nostalgia for the KLH Model 6 (I know they are different). I'd like the keep the speakers around the $150-200 mark for the set. Used options? I owned a Technics system in the mid-90's, and really like the brand. Any suggestions are welcome. No hurry to purchase. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-27-2012, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Infinity's Primus line has at least one bookshelf model in that price range.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #3 of 9 Old 03-29-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 250
If I had to keep the price that low I would spend $140 on a set of Polk Monitor 40 speakers.

On the other hand, a set of Monitor Audio M1 speakers for $240 would sound a good deal better IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601Mississippi View Post

This is my first post but I read this forum often.

I lost my father several years ago. I couldn't bring myself to get rid of his Technics SA-5200 receiver. He bought it in 72' or 73' and bought a set of KLH Model 6's to go with it. It was a nice system at the time. He also had a Technics turntable, long gone, and I don't know the model number.

This stereo introduced me to great music.

I am having the receiver "refurbished." The Panasonic dealership where he purchased it is still in business. The owner is a personal friend and I'm excited about having this done.

I am researching what speakers to pair with it. Bookshelf speakers are ideal. The Cambridge Soundworks Model 6 is an option for no other reason than Kloss designed them and nostalgia for the KLH Model 6 (I know they are different). I'd like the keep the speakers around the $150-200 mark for the set. Used options? I owned a Technics system in the mid-90's, and really like the brand. Any suggestions are welcome. No hurry to purchase. Thanks!

post #4 of 9 Old 03-29-2012, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
If you are okay with used try craigslist. Once I saw cd player two technics floorstanding 12 inch speakers and technics receiver for 60 bucks. The seller was over a hour away. I wanted it, but didn't end up buying it. try yard sales, goodwill. salvation army, community aid, saint vincent de paul. Maybe you will find a decent set of used bookshelf speakers for 5 to 20 bucks. I found two kenwood bookshelf speakers that I think came from a mini hi fi system were 7 bucks and 40 watts. If you are okay with any bookshelf speaker brands what about posting a wanted ad on craigslist asking if anyone is giving away free bookshelf speakers that they planned on throwing in the trash. Check neighborhoods before trash day. I have found four small speakers that people put in a box outside to throw away after yard sales or ready for trash day.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-29-2012, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

If you want new speakers I agree with mcnarus. I have heard infinity bookshelf speakers and infinity floorstanding speakers. They sounded good to me. My nephew used to play punk rock and rap on his infinity speakers. It always sounded good. I heard infinity floorstanding speakers at a store in daytona beach florida once. They were playing nine inch nails band. I was impressed with the sound. Sometimes crutchfield.com has sales on infinity speakers.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-30-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

hh greg has the yamaha bookshelf speakers and sony bookshelf speakers under your budget. hear them and see if you like them.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-30-2012, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-B3000-...3158075&sr=8-2

List Price: $140.00
Price: $71.42 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping

http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-B652-2-...3158075&sr=8-5

Dayton B652 6-1/2" 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker Pair
List Price: $51.99
Price: $44.50 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping

http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-DV...158075&sr=8-10

BIC America DV62si Bookshelf Speakers (Pair, Black)
List Price: $275.00
Price: $109.88 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-ES20BK-5-2...158075&sr=8-16

JBL ES20BK 5.25-Inch 3-Way Bookshelf Speaker (Pair, Black)
List Price: $399.00
Price: $179.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping

http://www.amazon.com/Cerwin-Vega-VE...158280&sr=8-24

Cerwin Vega VE-5M Bookshelf Speakers, 125 Watt - (PAIR)
List Price: $269.99
Price: $129.00
post #8 of 9 Old 03-30-2012, 10:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Boston A26 - at AC4L
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...s-White/1.html

JBL HLS610
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...ers_Subwoofers

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #9 of 9 Old 03-31-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Technics had some decent and interesting speakers out in the late 1970s and early-to-mid 1980s - I've heard/owned less than all of them, but I've yet to find one that disappoints me. The SB-L55 is a nice bookshelf (ish) example (they're a bit tall but they aren't very heavy and they really do need stands), if you want to get fancier there's the Linear Phase towers (some of those can fetch a few hundred a pair on ebay, like the 6000A or 7070).

Most of the Technics speakers are >92 dB/W; I would suggest staying in that range of sensitivity (or higher). According to VintageTechnics, that receiver only puts out 13Wpc (which is suitable if your speakers are sensitive enough) - I would ask the Panasonic dealer to confirm this of course (VintageTechnics is *not* the final word). See here:
http://vintagetechnics.co.uk/receivers.htm

And for a list of Technics' older speakers:
http://vintagetechnics.co.uk/loudspeakers.htm

If you're going to look at new speakers, I like Yamaha's EF series, the Klipsch Reference series, and (I know this is heresy) the Bose bookshelf speakers (they also might match quite nicely with the wood enclosure on the SA-5200; get a nice 1970s "swag thing" going on). I would not suggest 901s if this thing legitimately only outputs 13Wpc, especially older 901s (the original Bose amplifiers for these were 250wpc for a reason).

Alternately, there's tons of other options, I'd just ensure that you pick something reasonably sensitive, and with decent midbass extension. Even something like the Polk Audio Monitor 40 would really be acceptable here.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page