post #31 of 41 Old 03-29-2012, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandbeth View Post

Thanks, everybody, for your wisdom and I doubt I'm the only unwashed commoner listening in.

Hey, I resemble that remark! Well maybe, just behind the ears. I always forget.

Have all that you want ... just want what you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 03-29-2012, 07:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
^^^

why waste money on soap and water, when it can be better spent on a/v equipment?

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #33 of 41 Old 03-29-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
^^ sez the man whose toilet paper dispenser pumps out itunes.

post #34 of 41 Old 03-29-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

let no one say i am not an apple dork...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #35 of 41 Old 03-29-2012, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

You have one upped me I have a lot of Apple gear but not one of those. lol
post #36 of 41 Old 03-29-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekr613 View Post

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the audio-obsessive world (if you're posting online about it, you're probably obsessed!) and have some questions.

I've read a lot about 'audio myths' and most sound completely nuts to me - this thread isn't about very expensive cables, little crystals, or wooden knobs. It's a much more simple, down-to-earth question.

I currently have two old AVRs in two different setups - one in my home theatre, and one in a two-channel only stereo system in the living room. I'm trying to understand, from the skeptics perspective, whether the consensus is that an older (15yrs) AVR would be bested in sound by a new-ish, integrated two-channel amp for audio... something like a Peachtree Nova, Rega Brio or Marantz PM6004.

I don't want to start another flame war - it's just that all the discussion I've seen on this issue focuses on the 'amp is an amp' angle, which usually compares power amps only. I'm also not looking to bring out the 'of course it's different' crowd - there are a million magazines and online review sites tempting me to spend $$$ because the latest gadget is really a must have...until next year's model comes out.

What I'd like is for self-selected audio 'skeptics' to discuss their experiences and observations with audio equipment - does the whole 'amp is an amp' work for you? Does it count for 5.1 AVRs running in two channel only mode, and against newer competition? Or is it more applicable to high-end, $1000+ products that don't have much to separate them?

I really look forward to the discussion here and look forward to learning from the different perspectives - even among skeptics I imagine there will be a few.

Thanks.

No an amp is not an amp. What kind of speakers do you have? What is their efficiency rating? What is your listening distance? How high will you listen? All of these will affect the choice of your amp. The bigger the room, the less efficient your speakers, the higher volume you listen, the more power and a bigger amp you need. An amp is an amp only when it doesn't clip and clipping is a function of above.

Similar argument goes for pre-amp. In all likelihood a 15 year old receiver does not have an EQ. Any modern day EQ system will make an audible impact.
post #37 of 41 Old 03-29-2012, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

An Apple a day
keeps the doctor away

But Good Lord Man, you've taken this to the extreme
post #38 of 41 Old 03-30-2012, 10:19 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

As long as there are enough!

Engineers use electrolytics for one reason - every other approach is impractical. Consider the size and cost of the *smallest* electrolytics in general use as coupling caps - 10 uF. Generally, a film cap solution for the same application is impractical due to size and cost.

Now consider the size and cost of the typical electrolytic cap in general use - several thousand uF. The film cap alternative is completely ludicrous!

Yes, I know that the high c/v of elctrolytics makes them attractive to engineers who are trying to cram as many components into as small a board space as they can. It's form (and cost) over function and sometimes there isn't an alternative, as you've mentioned.

Quote:

???????????

You have purchased capacitors before, yes? http://industrial.panasonic.com/www-...+ABA0022+4++WW

Quote:

I've seen electrolytics work well after 40-60 years.

Modern electrolytics are so reliable that the equipment containing them will probably be obsolete before they fail.

Admittedly, there was a time several years back when a lot of electrolytics failed early, but that was due to misappropriation of incomplete stolen technical information. That comes under the heading of "stuff happens".

Yes, they are reliable for the most part. But they age. Their internal resistance can increase more than 300% over their lifetime. Their are also leaky (as in DC) and non-linear - an electrolytics capacitance and ESR vary with voltage.

For anyone interested in reading about differences between capacitor types, this article (written by a capacitor designer) is probably one of the best on the web:
Capacitor-Sound
post #39 of 41 Old 03-30-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

^^ sez the man whose toilet paper dispenser pumps out itunes.

Rumor has it that Chris is developing an iPad app that flushes the toilet

Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
post #40 of 41 Old 03-30-2012, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
That pic cracks me up every time I see it.

Holt, I think that magical device monitors the "tunes" while in the bathroom then dispenses toilet paper accordingly. Chris did not deny this

post #41 of 41 Old 03-30-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Aha, "voice" activated . Clearly it's marketed for some here on AVS who like to talk out of their a$$ .

Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page