Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 61 Old 03-30-2012, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

How were you planning to sit on your couch and control your computer and Mediamonkey?

Addressing that, and related, types of issues are the reason I initially posted my inquiry on this website.

Others have provided some very helpful insight, such as (i) the Squeezebox, (ii) a separate laptop computer holding my music files and Media Monkey (or other such software), with wireless connectivity to my Verizon router, (iii) Squeezebox controlled by an iPad.

Others, yet, offer no guidence, merely smart-ass repsonses.

Fortunately, members of this Forum are overwhelmingly of the helpful variety.

As the helpful members may suspect, I do not own an iPad or any Apple product. Nothing against Apple, but I've never seen a need for their products (perhaps until now!).

One last idea has come up: I own a Marantz 6003 receiver. The latest version, the 6006, incorporates an ethernet connector as well as certain wireless capability, all built in. The Marantz website seems to indicate that the receiver can be connected to the router, the router, of course, is connected to the computer, and the remote controller of the receiver can control the selection and playing of music. And the best part seems to be that since the receiver is connected to my TV, the whole shebang can be controlled from the TV screen and remote. Now my interpretation of the Marantz website may be incorrect, but if I am reading it correctly it would seem to be the logical evolution of audio/video equipment.

Howard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 61 Old 03-30-2012, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Even so, Logitech Media Server is one of the best there is, and the multitude of plugins is hard to beat.

haverbach, have you considered DLNA? MediaMonkey 4 does have DLNA/UPnP server capabilities.

Thank you, Nethawk, but I do not know anything about DLNA/UPnp, so I cannot respond to your -- probably very good -- idea.

Someone suggested that I purchase a separate laptop computer and place my music files (and Media Monkey) on it. That laptop would sit on the coffee table such that the keyboard and screen are thus only an arms-length away. (Even a bifocal-wearing old guy like me can read a laptop only a foot or two away.) Of course the laptop would have to have wireless capability built in, then I would have to figure out how to get the signal into my receiver. My guess, and it's merely a guess, is that that is where your mention of DLNA/UPnp comes in.

I shall explore this possibility further.

Thanks again,

Howard
post #33 of 61 Old 03-30-2012, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

I just pulled the following from Media Monkey's website; it thus seems that I have all the necessary capabilities, so now it's a matter of putting it all together.

"Share Audio/Video files with TVs, BD Players, and other DLNA devices. Just choose which Collections you want to share, and the selected content will immediately be available to your DLNA devices. Note that MediaMonkey can also behave as a DLNA client or renderer."
post #34 of 61 Old 03-30-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi Howard,
Quote:
Originally Posted by haverbach View Post

. . . then I would have to figure out how to get the signal into my receiver.

That would be my concern. I have yet to see a laptop that has S/PDIF, and the DACs in laptops vary between mediocre and crappy.

Quote:

My guess, and it's merely a guess, is that that is where your mention of DLNA/UPnp comes in.

Actually DLNA/uPnP is a networking protocol that is often included in Blu-Ray players and AVRs. It would allow your player to access music from your PC over an Ethernet or WiFi connection, using your AVR's or BD's user-interface. Implementations vary, usually between mediocre and crappy.
post #35 of 61 Old 03-30-2012, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 431
The Marantz 6006 includes DLNA support, so if you're willing to splurge on the AVR upgrade, it's "only" a matter of getting the software in the computer to cooperate.

(I put "only" in quotes and include a smilie because even the best software packages have their quirks.)

Edited to add:
As mentioned, many current Blu-ray players have DLNA, too. A BDP upgrade might be enough less expensive than an AVR upgrade to be worth while for the short term. However, there may be other compelling reasons for upgrading the AVR, like its improved version of Audyssey.

Selden
post #36 of 61 Old 03-30-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:

Someone suggested that I purchase a separate laptop computer and place my music files (and Media Monkey) on it. That laptop would sit on the coffee table such that the keyboard and screen are thus only an arms-length away. (Even a bifocal-wearing old guy like me can read a laptop only a foot or two away.) Of course the laptop would have to have wireless capability built in, then I would have to figure out how to get the signal into my receiver. My guess, and it's merely a guess, is that that is where your mention of DLNA/UPnp comes in.

Or you can do like I do. Build/buy an HTPC--doesn't have to cost any more than an inexpensive laptop. Put it next to your receiver, plug it in via HDMI to your receiver, and use a wireless keyboard and mouse from your coffee table. That works well unless you are too far away to use a wireless keyboard and mouse. No need to use DLNA/UPnp because Media Monkey will be feeding audio directly to the receiver via the HDMI cable. I enjoy using mine in my living room to use the Internet. Check out the HTCP forum to ask questions and learn more.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #37 of 61 Old 03-30-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Quote:

Addressing that, and related, types of issues are the reason I initially posted my inquiry on this website.

Others have provided some very helpful insight, such as (i) the Squeezebox, (ii) a separate laptop computer holding my music files and Media Monkey (or other such software), with wireless connectivity to my Verizon router, (iii) Squeezebox controlled by an iPad.

As the helpful members may suspect, I do not own an iPad or any Apple product. Nothing against Apple, but I've never seen a need for their products (perhaps until now!).

One last idea has come up: I own a Marantz 6003 receiver. The latest version, the 6006, incorporates an ethernet connector as well as certain wireless capability, all built in. The Marantz website seems to indicate that the receiver can be connected to the router, the router, of course, is connected to the computer, and the remote controller of the receiver can control the selection and playing of music. And the best part seems to be that since the receiver is connected to my TV, the whole shebang can be controlled from the TV screen and remote. Now my interpretation of the Marantz website may be incorrect, but if I am reading it correctly it would seem to be the logical evolution of audio/video equipment.

Howard

Well, I was the one who recommended the squeezebox, and I believe the only one who made anything that might remotely resemble a smart assed response, the one you quoted above. It was not meant to be, rather to incite you to think about your problem and potential solution. I'm an enabler, I can't help it.

Personally, I don't think either laptop or upgrading your receiver is the right answer, but if you prefer to go that way I, and others, will help you in any way we can. I'm a nerd, a former CCIE (I can help with the networking side too), a music and gadget lover (smartphone/tablet), not quite at bifocal age, and lazy as hell (smartphone/tablet again!). Not really, I just like convenience.

Cheers.

post #38 of 61 Old 03-30-2012, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

You have all those streaming capable devices. LOL

Seriously, though, you should post a little review and let us know about the differences between 'em

I probably shouldn't laugh. I own a smartphone, HTPC, two desktop computers, an original Eee PC, a newer Eee PC, a full-sized laptop, an iPad 2, a Nook, and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus. And then an HT audio 5.1 setup, a 2.1 and 2.0 systems in the house (LOL).

Before my new Panasonic BRD-320 (1080p baby!)I used the Roku for Netflix and Hulu Plus in the bedroom theater. The google tv (Logitech Revue) for surfing and some streaming, the WD HD TV+ mostly for local library, which trumps all others IMO. Each has its pluses and minuses, and for less than $100 a pop just fun toys.

I've been building my own PC's since the mid 90s, keeping components up to date with upgrades about every 6 months. I'm down to one desktop now, but I do have a Chrome netbook, an HD laptop with blu-ray and 17" screen, a netbook and two Android smartphones. One and a half 2.0 setups (two rooms, four speakers, one receiver, one amp) and am rebuilding my HT from the ground up (I just remodeled the basement, the old gear just had to go!).

Methinks we would be good friends

Edit: Oh yeah, the Boxee - in a closet, but with new HT I'll probably hook it up. It's nice but the least friendly of any of the other players (and a bit quirky at times), my least favorite.

post #39 of 61 Old 03-30-2012, 08:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Before my new Panasonic BRD-320 (1080p baby!)I used the Roku for Netflix and Hulu Plus in the bedroom theater. The google tv (Logitech Revue) for surfing and some streaming, the WD HD TV+ mostly for local library, which trumps all others IMO. Each has its pluses and minuses, and for less than $100 a pop just fun toys.

I've been building my own PC's since the mid 90s, keeping components up to date with upgrades about every 6 months. I'm down to one desktop now, but I do have a Chrome netbook, an HD laptop with blu-ray and 17" screen, a netbook and two Android smartphones. One and a half 2.0 setups (two rooms, four speakers, one receiver, one amp) and am rebuilding my HT from the ground up (I just remodeled the basement, the old gear just had to go!).

Methinks we would be good friends

Edit: Oh yeah, the Boxee - in a closet, but with new HT I'll probably hook it up. It's nice but the least friendly of any of the other players (and a bit quirky at times), my least favorite.

Yeah. Two of the computers in my house have some new parts, but are benefits of upgrades from my main desktop. And it is an upgrade descendant of a Packard Bell Pentium MMX machine. I think my upgrade cycle is about once every year and a half (lol).

That's good to know about the WD HD TV+. I'll suggest that one if anyone is looking for a streaming media player.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #40 of 61 Old 03-31-2012, 12:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Howard

Hello Howard,

I hope I'm not in the smart-ass group or being a nuisance

There's no need to clutter your coffee table with a laptop, as it might be able to be with the Oppo and Marantz.

Your current 6003 receiver has 2 HDMI out and 3 HDMI input. If I'm reading between the lines, your Oppo is connected to this using analog connections (RCA with Toslink, perhaps?)

If you have an open HDMI input on your current Marantz, and using an HDMI connection to your video system, the computer can also connect to the Marantz with an HDMI cable, and the computer image is passed through the Marantz to your video system. Now if your video system only has analog input, this makes the computer hookup more of a PITA.

If the last paragraph describes your setup, then unless your video is small (let's say under 46 inches) you should be able to read anything on your computer, as it's on your video screen. As a reference point: I'm 57, have a 60 inch LCD, and able to read this user group from my La-z-boy; about 12-14 feet depending on the recliner position.

Now I realize you said money is no problem, but I doubt you got there by engaging in un-necessary spending. Maybe you have an extra grand or two burning a hole in your pocket to get a new receiver, but.....
post #41 of 61 Old 03-31-2012, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 431
FWIW, several computer companies sell very small form factor computers advertised for the home entertainment market. Of course, they have compromises when compared to what one could assemble by hand, but can be quite convenient. See, for example, the Lenovo Q180 Ideacentre. http://shop.lenovo.com/us/desktops/i...eries/features

Disclaimer: we use some Q150s where I work for systems that don't need high performance computing. They're essentially invisible, since we fasten them to the backs of their displays. Unfortunately, the Q150s seem to have relatively fragile network adapters.

Selden
post #42 of 61 Old 03-31-2012, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandbeth View Post

Hello Howard,

I hope I'm not in the smart-ass group or being a nuisance

There's no need to clutter your coffee table with a laptop, as it might be able to be with the Oppo and Marantz.

Your current 6003 receiver has 2 HDMI out and 3 HDMI input. If I'm reading between the lines, your Oppo is connected to this using analog connections (RCA with Toslink, perhaps?)

If you have an open HDMI input on your current Marantz, and using an HDMI connection to your video system, the computer can also connect to the Marantz with an HDMI cable, and the computer image is passed through the Marantz to your video system. Now if your video system only has analog input, this makes the computer hookup more of a PITA.

If the last paragraph describes your setup, then unless your video is small (let's say under 46 inches) you should be able to read anything on your computer, as it's on your video screen. As a reference point: I'm 57, have a 60 inch LCD, and able to read this user group from my La-z-boy; about 12-14 feet depending on the recliner position.

Now I realize you said money is no problem, but I doubt you got there by engaging in un-necessary spending. Maybe you have an extra grand or two burning a hole in your pocket to get a new receiver, but.....

Sorry I made too much of it; there was only one inappropriate response, everyone else has been EXTREMELY helpful.

You are correct regaring the inputs and outputs on my Marantz 6003 receiver. And you are also correct that my Oppo-83SE is connected to my Marantz reveiver via the receiver's MCH analog (RCA) inputs. Thererore, I have an "available" HDMI input on the receiver, and my computer motherboard has one HDMI output.

Given the above, and if I am understanding you correctly, I can run an HDMI from the computer to the receiver and thus be able to listen to my music (just as though I had used the Toslink optical output from the motherboard to the Toslink input on the receiver), AND view the Media Monkey interface (normally only on the computer monitor) on my 40" TV screen in the A/V setup. WOW!

Just two questions:

(1) Can HDMI cables be up to 30 or 40 feet long and operate reliably?
(2) In the setup described above, how would I control the Media Monkey interface from my livingroom setup? In other words, yes, I can see Media Monkey on my TV, but the computer itself is in another room.

The reason I mentioned the newer Marantz 6006 receiver is that it has an ethernet input that would connect to one's router. In the case of my Verizon FiOS service, I currently have a router that connects to my my computer and to the TV cable box. I was told by a Marantz rep that using the Marantz 6006 (w ethernet port connected to my router) will allow everything to be controlled my the Marantz remote control.

So that's what I know, or believe I know, thus far.

Thanks agin,

Howard

P.S. I have a few years on you, but I acknowledge that likely we both know who Heckle and Jeckle were, and also know that Roy Rogers' sidekick Pat Brady drove around in a jeep named "Nelliebell".
post #43 of 61 Old 03-31-2012, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry I made too much of it; there was only one inappropriate response, everyone else has been EXTREMELY helpful.

You are correct regaring the inputs and outputs on my Marantz 6003 receiver. And you are also correct that my Oppo-83SE is connected to my Marantz reveiver via the receiver's MCH analog (RCA) inputs. Thererore, I have an "available" HDMI input on the receiver, and my computer motherboard has one HDMI output.

Given the above, and if I am understanding you correctly, I can run an HDMI from the computer to the receiver and thus be able to listen to my music (just as though I had used the Toslink optical output from the motherboard to the Toslink input on the receiver), AND view the Media Monkey interface (normally only on the computer monitor) on my 40" TV screen in the A/V setup. WOW!

Just two questions:

(1) Can HDMI cables be up to 30 or 40 feet long and operate reliably?
(2) In the setup described above, how would I control the Media Monkey interface from my livingroom setup? In other words, yes, I can see Media Monkey on my TV, but the computer itself is in another room.

The reason I mentioned the newer Marantz 6006 receiver is that it has an ethernet input that would connect to one's router. In the case of my Verizon FiOS service, I currently have a router that connects to my my computer and to the TV cable box. I was told by a Marantz rep that using the Marantz 6006 (w ethernet port connected to my router) will allow everything to be controlled my the Marantz remote control.

So that's what I know, or believe I know, thus far.

Thanks agin,

Howard

P.S. I have a few years on you, but I acknowledge that likely we both know who Heckle and Jeckle were, and also know that Roy Rogers' sidekick Pat Brady drove around in a jeep named "Nelliebell".

Ahh yes, Heckle and Jeckle. As well as Mutt and Jeff.

Anyway, answering number 1 from Wiki

Although no maximum length for an HDMI cable is specified, signal attenuation (dependent on the cable's construction quality and conducting materials) limits usable lengths in practice.[65] HDMI 1.3 defines two cable categories: Category 1-certified cables, which have been tested at 74.5 MHz (which would include resolutions such as 720p60 and 1080i60), and Category 2-certified cables, which have been tested at 340 MHz (which would include resolutions such as 1080p60 and 2160p30).[62][66][67] Category 1 HDMI cables are marketed as "Standard" and Category 2 HDMI cables as "High Speed".[1] This labeling guideline for HDMI cables went into effect on October 17, 2008.[68][69] Category 1 and 2 cables can either meet the required parameter specifications for interpair skew, far-end crosstalk, attenuation and differential impedance, or they can meet the required nonequalized/equalized eye diagram requirements.[66] A cable of about 5 meters (16 ft) can be manufactured to Category 1 specifications easily and inexpensively by using 28 AWG (0.081 mm²) conductors.[65] With better quality construction and materials, including 24 AWG (0.205 mm²) conductors, an HDMI cable can reach lengths of up to 15 meters (49 ft).[65] Many HDMI cables under 5 meters of length that were made before the HDMI 1.3 specification can work as Category 2 cables, but only Category 2-tested cables are guaranteed to work.[70]

As of the HDMI 1.4 specification, these are the following cable types defined for HDMI in general:[71][72]
Standard HDMI Cable – up to 1080i and 720p
Standard HDMI Cable with Ethernet
Automotive HDMI Cable
High Speed HDMI Cable – 1080p, 4K, 3D and deep color
High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet[73]

An HDMI cable is usually composed of four shielded twisted pairs, with impedance of the order of 100 ohms, plus several separate conductors.

As for controlling a computer in another room, some use a device called "Harmony" which is a small RF keyboard and I BELIEVE has a range of 30 feet. There's actually quite a few of these that are no bigger than a TV or Stereo remote. As with most RF controllers, what you have between the transmitter and receiver will influence range, and so using a USB cable to move the RF receiver (attached to the computer) and getting it closer to the transmitter is a good idea. 30 feet RF transmission through furniture, walls and such is pushing the limit.

Don't buy the snake oil that you need $50 USB cables. Monoprice has a well deserved reputation on a good product at a fair price, IMO.
post #44 of 61 Old 03-31-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Oy.

post #45 of 61 Old 03-31-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Oy.

Agreed.

Doesn't the WD TV box have a remote? So you just plug it up to your TV, configure it once to connect to your computer for media streaming, and then use the remote to surf your music collection via the TV? I was looking at the newer version, the WD TV Live, and assuming haverbach has a large flat screen, he shouldn't have any trouble seeing it or controlling it from his couch, should he?

post #46 of 61 Old 04-01-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm through, I leave the OP to the "EXTREMELY helpful" responses, despite their being overly complex, often sub-par and altogether more expensive.

post #47 of 61 Old 04-01-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:

I'm through, I leave the OP to the "EXTREMELY helpful" responses, despite their being overly complex, often sub-par and altogether more expensive.

I'm with you, man. It seems the OP and some responding posters seem hellbent on making this far more complicated than it should be.

Based on the OP, when the question is essentially "how do I get my computer based music collection to my AVR in another room," the answer is exceedingly obvious and simple. Get a Logitech Squeezebox or a Sonos and use their server-side software (no need to futz with DNLA). Interface can be included remote and/or smart phone, tablet PC/netbook, or iPad. Done.

No cables are necessary (except a short S/PDIF optical or coax cable from the Squeezebox or Sonos to the AVR). Assuming you already have a solid, stable home computer network in place, all you have to do is connect to your network via wifi or wired ethernet (this takes about 15 minutes for the SB). I think Sonos uses its own proprietary network (I have Logitech SB devices).

It really isn't hard. The hardest part about it is waiting in anticipation while the SB server software scans your music collection. Until it's finished scanning that first time, you cannot get the server part (the half of the two pieces that contains your computer collection of music on disc -- this is your computer or a NAS, network attached server device) to talk to the front end receiver (the SB Touch, e.g.). Once it's in place, the thing is intuitive and a delight to use.
post #48 of 61 Old 04-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

I'm with you, man. It seems the OP and some responding posters seem hellbent on making this far more complicated than it should be.

Based on the OP, when the question is essentially "how do I get my computer based music collection to my AVR in another room," the answer is exceedingly obvious and simple. Get a Logitech Squeezebox or a Sonos and use their server-side software (no need to futz with DNLA). Interface can be included remote and/or smart phone, tablet PC/netbook, or iPad. Done.

No cables are necessary (except a short S/PDIF optical or coax cable from the Squeezebox or Sonos to the AVR). Assuming you already have a solid, stable home computer network in place, all you have to do is connect to your network via wifi or wired ethernet (this takes about 15 minutes for the SB). I think Sonos uses its own proprietary network (I have Logitech SB devices).

It really isn't hard. The hardest part about it is waiting in anticipation while the SB server software scans your music collection. Until it's finished scanning that first time, you cannot get the server part (the half of the two pieces that contains your computer collection of music on disc -- this is your computer or a NAS, network attached server device) to talk to the front end receiver (the SB Touch, e.g.). Once it's in place, the thing is intuitive and a delight to use.

"hellbent"?
Perhaps you missed this from the OP:

"As the helpful members may suspect, I do not own an iPad or any Apple product. Nothing against Apple, but I've never seen a need for their products (perhaps until now!)." Also, didn't the OP indicate there is not any netwrok acess near his stereo at this time?

Anyway. I believe the OP can sift through the remarks above and reach his own conclusions.
post #49 of 61 Old 04-01-2012, 07:13 PM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

"hellbent"?

"As the helpful members may suspect, I do not own an iPad or any Apple product. Nothing against Apple, but I've never seen a need for their products (perhaps until now!)." Also, didn't the OP indicate there is not any netwrok acess near his stereo at this time?

Anyway. I believe the OP can sift through the remarks above and reach his own conclusions.

His stereo is less than 50 feet from computer, so even is there is no cable, he can use WiFi. Most media players have both iPhone/Pad and Android control applications. On the market for smart phones now it is either iPhone or Android. The same can be said about tablets. And yes, use of network media player is the best solution, unless OP insists on using SPDIF interface in one form or another.
post #50 of 61 Old 04-01-2012, 08:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

LOL

Did you read what you wrote? Supposedly written for an OP who has already admitted being a little technically challenged, your HDMI post looks like some kind of April Fool's joke.

To echo the others, a network streaming solution would be the most user friendly. Just have to find the one that fits his particular setup and needs.

post #51 of 61 Old 04-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

LOL

Did you read what you wrote? Supposedly written for an OP who has already admitted being a little technically challenged, your HDMI post looks like some kind of April Fool's joke.

To echo the others, a network streaming solution would be the most user friendly. Just have to find the one that fits his particular setup and needs.

Let me see if I have you right, YOU apparently think I wrote something I expressedly cited as coming from Wiki, which was to directly answer the OP question on video length. If you can't understand a simple citation and then attribute it as "your HDMI post looks like some kind of April Fool's joke", what would lead anyone to believe you can read and understand any OTHER post here?

I gave the gentleman a suggestion (A network Streaming suggestion at that)as per the original post. I'll leave it to THAT gentleman if he cares to use it. As you evidently can't read nor comprehend my posts, and have missed the gist of the OP issue... perhaps you should be more careful in using the term "April Fool".

Life is too short for this.
post #52 of 61 Old 04-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

His stereo is less than 50 feet from computer, so even is there is no cable, he can use WiFi. Most media players have both iPhone/Pad and Android control applications. On the market for smart phones now it is either iPhone or Android. The same can be said about tablets. And yes, use of network media player is the best solution, unless OP insists on using SPDIF interface in one form or another.

That is true he can use wireless, which you'll note I suggested earler. I know the OP already mentioned he doesn't want to use an Apple Solution.
post #53 of 61 Old 04-01-2012, 10:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Let me see if I have you right, YOU apparently think I wrote something I expressedly cited as coming from Wiki, which was to directly answer the OP question on video length. If you can't understand a simple citation and then attribute it as "your HDMI post looks like some kind of April Fool's joke", what would lead anyone to believe you can read and understand any OTHER post here?

You wrote it, you copied it, whatever. It was a poor choice of text to share with the OP. Not reader friendly at all.

And, what is "Wiki?" I know what a wiki is. Do you mean Wikipedia and you don't know how to spell it? Also, best practice attribution on the web--and on AVS, too--is try to link to sources. And, you know, quotes are typically used when quoting a source. So yeah. Good citation and source work there. Get you an F in college

post #54 of 61 Old 04-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You wrote it, you copied it, whatever. It was a poor choice of text to share with the OP. Not reader friendly at all.

And, what is "Wiki?" I know what a wiki is. Do you mean Wikipedia and you don't know how to spell it? Also, best practice attribution on the web--and on AVS, too--is try to link to sources. And, you know, quotes are typically used when quoting a source. So yeah. Good citation and source work there. Get you an F in college

The refuge of the week when all other arguments fail is to attempt to deride spelling in a forum post. Get a life. I'm done with you.
post #55 of 61 Old 04-02-2012, 06:03 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I know the OP already mentioned he doesn't want to use an Apple Solution.

Android based phone/tablet is NOT Apple solutions.
post #56 of 61 Old 04-02-2012, 06:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm done with you.

Poor me. Whatever will I do??? LOL

post #57 of 61 Old 04-02-2012, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

Android based phone/tablet is NOT Apple solutions.

No one said it was. Instead of tilting at windmills, why not peruse the entire thread. Thanks.
post #58 of 61 Old 04-02-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

That is true he can use wireless, which you'll note I suggested earler. I know the OP already mentioned he doesn't want to use an Apple Solution.

I believe the OP mentioned he didn't see any value in Apple product with the possibility of 'until now'.

Apple TV could be worth a look, the Squeezebox. Get a well regarded streamer.

An audiophile likes to talk about how much they spent and how good it sounds.

A DIY'er likes to talk about how little they spent and how good it sounds.

post #59 of 61 Old 04-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjuku View Post

I believe the OP mentioned he didn't see any value in Apple product with the possibility of 'until now'.

Apple TV could be worth a look, the Squeezebox. Get a well regarded streamer.

OK, fair enough. He COULD re-evaluate his position on Apple.He could also take a line from your signature and run an HDMI cable from his computer along with an RF mose and Keyboard, or any of the 1/2 dozen suggestions in this thread.

As mentioned above, I believe the OP is intelligent enough to sift through the thread and come to his own solution(s),
post #60 of 61 Old 04-02-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:

"hellbent"?

"As the helpful members may suspect, I do not own an iPad or any Apple product. Nothing against Apple, but I've never seen a need for their products (perhaps until now!)."

"Hellbent," meaning "determined." No, I didn't miss it. I read the same post Jinjuku did before I posted the post to which you responded with rolling eyes and the admonishment above. Perhaps you should read a little closer and cool down before responding in anger and haste. You know, for the gentleman's sake.

Quote:

Also, didn't the OP indicate there is not any netwrok acess near his stereo at this time?

No, he did not. In fact, this is what the OP said about his network access:

"My computer motherboard has only one Ethernet connector. Currently, it is connected to my Verizon router/modem. The Verizon router/modem is, in turn, connected to my Verizon cable box. But the Verizon router/modem has other Ethernet connectors, so I guess the Squeezebox would connect into one of these."

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...0&postcount=23

So, yes, as other posters and I have suggested, he could connect to a streaming solution wirelessly via wifi, or wired via ethernet cable.

The OP is already positioned to benefit from a streaming solution, and a streaming solution sounds ideal for him, provided he can figure out a suitable interface for him. He's already gotten some good suggestions in this thread.

He could also try browsing the Networking, Media Servers & Content Streamers forum here at AVS. It's where these things are discussed on their relative pros and cons, and where he could pose particular questions if he likes.

Quote:

Well, I hope for his sake he can sift through them better than you have done so far. I can hardly blame him if he might feel confused at the moment. I would urge him to pose some relevant questions in the Networking forum I mentioned above. Here's a link to it for his convenience:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=39

EDIT: I see the OP is already on the Logitech Squeezebox Touch thread at that forum, so it appears he's interested and asking questions in the right spot. Good luck to him.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page