E5ti with F12 and HK 3490 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-01-2012, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would the E5ti with a F12 sub go well with the HK 3490?

I'm looking for a complete new system as I am moving. I would use it for music 100% of the time. I really like the price on the Emp Tek e5ti, but I'm afraid they are not sensitive enough for the loudness level I am looking for. I make electronic music with very few vocals, therefore that's what I'm going to be listening most of the time.
I still have to buy everything. My budget would be less than 700 dollars for the 2 towers + receiver and the subwoofer. Do you guys think I should go for a different brand of towers (polk, infinity, or other known brands) ?
Does it make sense to get a Stereo Receiver/Amp or should i be looking at multichannel one's?
Thank you for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-02-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 781
I listen to a lot of trance/hip hop/trip hop/house/etc. dance music. I recently upgraded to speakers that have a stronger mid-bass and am much happier. If those are your main listening genres, I would recommend looking for the same.

Similarly, while the F12 is an excellent subwoofer, it is a sealed sub and does not have the same SPL as some of the 12" ID subs. If you are setting this up in a small to smaller-medium size room, the F12 is fine. But if you like those genres of music and hope to feel the bass, there are other subs from HSU, Outlaw Audio, Epik, SVS, and even Rythmik that would be a better choice for bigger rooms for the same money. Research on the AVS subwoofer forum.

Finally, 2 channel stereo receivers are great, but they don't have bass management. You are limited to setting the crossover on your subwoofer to the low end roll off of the speakers you buy. An AVR has both low and high pass filters, so you have can set the crossover even higher and it will cut off the speakers to match the sub.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #3 of 9 Old 04-02-2012, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the Great advice!
I got an amazing deal on a Onkyo nr609, so now I'm looking for towers. You don't believe the the E5ti are good music? . They look like such an amazing deal at the price they are offered.
What do you advice as a good tower for trance, house, progressive under 350 for a pair ?
I heard Polks and like the sound, they just sound a bit flat; while I find Klipsch horns way too overpowering.
post #4 of 9 Old 04-02-2012, 07:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Congrats on the Onkyo

A lot of people find the Klipsch horns too much. I have Energy RC-50s, but they are more expensive than your budget.

I just don't know much about the E5ti's. They might work well. There is an owner's thread in the speaker forum you can read around in about them. I was just suggesting that you might want something with good mid-bass. In fact, you might post in the main speaker forums, tell them your receiver, your budget, and that you want good speakers for this kind of music.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #5 of 9 Old 04-02-2012, 07:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

One other thought. If you are not going to be setting this up in a giant room, you might also consider the Energy RC-10 bookshelves. They sound very good with a sub. They have a nice full sound for their small size (although would be a little challenged in a big room). It's what I use in my 2.1 setup.

post #6 of 9 Old 04-06-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I listen to a lot of trance/hip hop/trip hop/house/etc. dance music. I recently upgraded to speakers that have a stronger mid-bass and am much happier. If those are your main listening genres, I would recommend looking for the same.

Similarly, while the F12 is an excellent subwoofer, it is a sealed sub and does not have the same SPL as some of the 12" ID subs. If you are setting this up in a small to smaller-medium size room, the F12 is fine. But if you like those genres of music and hope to feel the bass, there are other subs from HSU, Outlaw Audio, Epik, SVS, and even Rythmik that would be a better choice for bigger rooms for the same money. Research on the AVS subwoofer forum.

Finally, 2 channel stereo receivers are great, but they don't have bass management. You are limited to setting the crossover on your subwoofer to the low end roll off of the speakers you buy. An AVR has both low and high pass filters, so you have can set the crossover even higher and it will cut off the speakers to match the sub.

We are talking about the Bic F-12 subwoofer? It is a rear ported subwoofer. It's a great sub for the money. In a medium sized room this subwoofer would work great. To the OP. You may also not need tower speakers. A nice set of bookshelf speakers could work fine. I've built several budget 2.1 or 2.2 systems for myself and friends with a sub and bookshelf speakers and the results where very good. Very good with the types of music you listen to. I listen to some dub step and house music as well. I usually listen to heavy metal or rock music though. I like music with double bass drums so percussion is important to me.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-06-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

We are talking about the Bic F-12 subwoofer? It is a rear ported subwoofer. It's a great sub for the money. In a medium sized room this subwoofer would work great. To the OP. You may also not need tower speakers. A nice set of bookshelf speakers could work fine. I've built several budget 2.1 or 2.2 systems for myself and friends with a sub and bookshelf speakers and the results where very good. Very good with the types of music you listen to. I listen to some dub step and house music as well. I usually listen to heavy metal or rock music though. I like music with double bass drums so percussion is important to me.

I realized after I posted that he meant the BIC F12, not the Rythmik, and sent him a PM. Big difference between the two (LOL).

post #8 of 9 Old 04-06-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I figured it was just a simple mistake. No big deal. I just wanted the OP to know. The Bic F12 would be a nice affordable sub for him. I've set several Bic F12s up and I liked them. They sounded good. Since he has a budget I would suggest that he consider a pair of Polk Monitor 40's and a Bic F12. This should cost around $325 for the speakers and the sub. I recently got a pair of Monitor 40's and I'm really impressed with them. The Polks make impressive bass. They're specifications are just about the same as the towers he's looking at but way cheaper. I'm using a pair of Monitor 40s along with a sub in a 12x12 room and they work very well.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-06-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Agreed. For the price, the F12 is one of the best subs around

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page