Upgrade to Yamaha RX 497? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-02-2012, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Ron6981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
About a year ago I purchased the yamaha htr 3063 receiver with the intention of getting into home theater but it turns out I'm mainly into 2 channel audio. So i bought a pair of bose 301 series ii used cheap (i know bose is frowned upon but i like that they're not too big and have an 8 in woofer) and I chucked the speaker package the yam came with and use the bose in 2 ch mode. I was thinking of getting the yamaha rx 497 since its built for 2 channel music, would this be an upgrade or a waste of money? (In the future i intend on buying floorstanders)
Ron6981 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 04-02-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 16,705
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3002
I have not heard your particular Yamaha AVR, but based on specs, I wouldn't expect a big improvement in SQ. I think you'd be better off saving your money toward your new speakers.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 04-03-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 15,020
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1714 Post(s)
Liked: 1632
Buy new speakers - the Bose sound character will not change
with a new receiver.

__________________________________________
Who AM I

Speakers -- Canton GLS 2 > Boston VS240
Receiver -- Integra 50.2
zieglj01 is online now  
 
post #4 of 6 Old 04-03-2012, 08:25 AM
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,420
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6981 View Post

About a year ago I purchased the yamaha htr 3063 receiver with the intention of getting into home theater but it turns out I'm mainly into 2 channel audio. So i bought a pair of bose 301 series ii used cheap (i know bose is frowned upon but i like that they're not too big and have an 8 in woofer) and I chucked the speaker package the yam came with and use the bose in 2 ch mode. I was thinking of getting the yamaha rx 497 since its built for 2 channel music, would this be an upgrade or a waste of money? (In the future i intend on buying floorstanders)

This looks like a pile on, but without impugning Bose in general, even more of us can agree that the Bose 301 series can easily be improved in without spending a ton of money or devoting more space to them.
arnyk is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 04-03-2012, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Ron6981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the replies guys. I was looking into replacing the receiver because my father has the same speakers but has an old onkyo receiver (tx 108) and it sounds so much better. Ofcourse id rather just replace the speakers and not both eventually, less money. Anyone have any experience with the polk monitor 70's for music? I want speakers that dont require a sub.
Ron6981 is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 04-03-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mcnarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,156
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:


I was looking into replacing the receiver because my father has the same speakers but has an old onkyo receiver (tx 108) and it sounds so much better.

Believe it or not, that probably has more to do with the room that he uses (among other factors) than the receiver.

Quote:


Anyone have any experience with the polk monitor 70's for music? I want speakers that dont require a sub.

Haven't heard them, but Polk is a respectable brand. Consider also these.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

mcnarus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off