Finally figured out my stereo system! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-06-2012, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey now fellars,

My original plans were to get 3 way floor standing speakers, and integrated amp, project debut 3 turntable and some kind of iPod/pad integration.

I ended ip buying bookshelf speakers, mordaunt short carnival 3, and decided to throw subs on and that's when everything went haywire. I had so much help from a very knowledgeable man on here who was not only humble, but patient with my questions. In the end I decided I'm gonna keep the carnivals in straight up 2 channel, and proceed forth with my original plan. Anyhow, walbert is a true gentleman for all the help he has given me. A true audiophile who doesn't care about trends or mythology in the audio world. I can't thank him enough.

So here's the system, in the order I'll be getting them.

Integrated amp: either Yamaha AS-500 or NAD 316BEE

Turntable: Pro-ject debut 3 with acrylic platter and speed box

"Universal" Player: Denon 1611 or Oppo 93

Streaming Media: My fiancé wants to be able to stream wirelessly through the iPod so if I go with the Yamaha I can get the Yaired YID-W10 and give that a shot for $150, if I go NAD I can get some kind of network player like a Pioneer N-30 or Denon 720AE. This will be last on my list of things to get.

After 6 months to a year of using the Mordaunt-Short Carnival 2 bookshelf speakers on stands I should be able to tell what I want and don't want in a set of speakers. By then I'll be able to drop a decent amount ($1000-$1500) on a set of really good speakers. After that I'll take the Carnival 2's and get a CRX322 mini system from Yamaha. No money wasted, lots of good times.

I will be hooking this up to my tv for movies. But I don't care to much for surround sound.

Edit: I am also considering getting a dac, like what Emotiva has.

You're not cultured. You're stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-06-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I agree walbert is always helpful and nice.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-06-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Do you like to listen to internet radio also shoutcast.com jango.com pandora slacker addictedtoradio.com I heart radio http://tunein.com/
post #4 of 10 Old 04-06-2012, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
On the network player front - the Oppo can probably do that for you (and if not the Oppo, some other Blu-ray player (I know Toshiba had a few a while ago that had all the bells and whistles, were supposed to be "slow" to respond though)). I think the Onkyo stereo receiver also has some network functionality (I don't know a lot about it, but I've heard it mentioned before, TX-8050 is what I'm talking about). I also think the Pioneer 1121 (multichannel, I know) can do wireless from an iDevice, and there's always the Airport Express (which can do wireless from iDevice/iTunes and stands alone, you just need something to take the analog input).

If you like the Emotiva look, you could go with a complete system - their DAC is also a preamp (no analog in though, converters are cheap though and if you're only hooking up the turntable, I'd probably do that over another component (in other words, turntable -> preamp -> ADC -> XDA-1)), and their power amps aren't dreadfully expensive. The entire stack would be around $1100 methinks. Could go with monoblocks and save *a bit* over the XPA-2 (around $100).

On a more personal note - I appreciate the kind words.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-07-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 56

Before spending the better part of $700 on this, I'd see if you can round up a new/near new (non DJ'd) Technics SL1200.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-19-2012, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

Before spending the better part of $700 on this, I'd see if you can round up a new/near new (non DJ'd) Technics SL1200.

I own a Debut III, and over a... 12ish month period I got a new cartridge, speed box, and mat.

I'm not trying to debate here, and I would love to own a Technics someday, but the OP should keep in mind that Pro-Ject accessories can be added later (which will spread out the overall financial impact), and a easy to come across in the used/agon/ebay market.

Also, since the OP wants a cheap streaming option and already uses iTunes, Apple TV's are $99, which I own/use/enjoy. However, these only have digital outputs (optical/HDMI), so a DAC would needed to be purchased prior. This is my first and only Apple product(!), so I just use the stock remote. I believe if there is an iPad/Phone/Pod Touch in the household, that can control the Apple TV/stream.

PS

AVS Forum has been an essential factor in my A/V knowledge and system design/choices

2.0 > 7.1
post #7 of 10 Old 04-20-2012, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaphile View Post

but the OP should keep in mind that Pro-Ject accessories can be added later (which will spread out the overall financial impact), and a easy to come across in the used/agon/ebay market.

But it's still a belt drive that has none of the motor quality or direct speed feedback that the Technics has stock, and never will have.

It is a simple frequency generator driving a small single phase motor with no feedback, vs a large, powerful, quiet low speed 3 phase motor with direct feedback from the platter. Different technology. I have a unit that does similar to the Speedbox for the Rock and used to use a CDP with a 50Hz sinewave to drive a small power amp to my Gyro, so I'm aware of the technology.

I hope whatever the OP buys he's happy with, just pointing out these are not technologically equivalent.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-20-2012, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

But it's still a belt drive that has none of the motor quality or direct speed feedback that the Technics has stock, and never will have.

It is a simple frequency generator driving a small single phase motor with no feedback, vs a large, powerful, quiet low speed 3 phase motor with direct feedback from the platter. Different technology. I have a unit that does similar to the Speedbox for the Rock and used to use a CDP with a 50Hz sinewave to drive a small power amp to my Gyro, so I'm aware of the technology.

I hope whatever the OP buys he's happy with, just pointing out these are not technologically equivalent.

i respectfully disagree.

belt drive has less moving parts- less is more with tt's. thats just my opinion. we are comparing chevys to fords in a way. either way, both tt's are great and amazing.

You're not cultured. You're stupid.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-20-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:

belt drive has less moving parts- less is more with tt's. thats just my opinion.

Opinions are fine, but A9X-308 has the better of the technical arguments here.

Quote:

we are comparing chevys to fords in a way.

Not a great analogy, unless you think "less is more" applies to cars, too.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #10 of 10 Old 04-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I love my 3 door/4cyl car, and my belt driven TT both have been very reliable, and I don't regret purchasing either. I also haven't had any speed issues with the TT, the speed box was purchased for convenience.

but yes, there are certainly other options... and I secretly have dreams about owning a SL1200. but that would be more of owning the icon personally

2.0 > 7.1
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page