HD Tracks quality? Please share your experience about this download service - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 108 Old 01-01-2014, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
back from the dead ....
quality varies as has been said...
probably cheaper than the sacd and certainly easier to find these days
only place for dinosaur rock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 108 Old 01-03-2014, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've ripped some of my favorite cds to (with Media Monkey) flac and I've also downloaded a couple of HD Tracks' albums. The HD Tracks albums, The Stones' "Between The Buttons" and Fleetwood Mac's "Tango In The Night" sounded significantly better than any of the cds I've ripped. I'm guessing that your mileage will vary. Don't forget that the recording quality of the older albums varies quite a bit and you just can't make a silk purse out of a pig ear.

"Tango In The Night" sounded so much better though, it must have been (at least) remixed. I haven't been able to find much information on the history of these older recordings. I'm think that a lot of the original cds from the 80s and 90s were mixed very poorly so anything remixed or remastered in the past 10 years is going to sound better than a cd that's 15+ years old.
post #93 of 108 Old 01-10-2014, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Skipping issues with Tea for the Tillerman, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Glad Rag Doll

Has anybody purchased these albums and if so do you have any issues.

Below is the email I sent to HDtracks. Initially, kind of got the brush off, as obviously someone did not think to read my issues right thru. After a second reply, they resent the 3 albums . i deleted the original and proceeded to download again. No issues with the 2nd download. But the issues are still there. Affecting different tracks slightly. The sound itself is great and compares to the other hi-def records I own, however, there is definite skips type of issues. The same skips occur at the same spot no matter how many times i play them. The Diana Krall is the worst by far with issues on most tracks. These are my first purchases with the upgraded HD-Downloader.

Music is on a Mac supported WD drive. The only thing on the mini is OSX Mt Lion and Amarra Hi-Fi (on SSD). Hard wired with cat6 for internet.

HDtracks response to my third inquiry after the second install was to contact Amarra. I would think that if it was an Amarra issue, it would affect my other albums. Why only these 3? and not the sampler that was picked up at the same time with the same hook up etc. All my other ripped music at 44.1, 48, 96 an 192 plays fine.

Any suggestions are most welcome, as I'm totally frustrated.
Thank you.

"Hello,
I purchased the attached as well as the 2013 Sampler. On initial download it failed, but I succeeded the following day.
Now that the holidays are over, I got to actually sit down and listen. The sampler comes out perfect with no issues. On this order however I have quite a few hiccups. Part of the music goes missing for a partial second. It almost sounds like a skip. This is repeatable every time I played it.
This happens on the following albums:

Tea For the Tillerman
#4 Sad Lisa - an additional note at the end of the song
#9 On the road to find out - 3:40 to 3:50 - skips + extra note at end
# 10 Father & Son -there is voice saying "welcome" near the end that does not belong in this song
#11 - when song 10 was complete, it did not move to 11. If 11 was selected, than it would play.

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
#1 Funeral for a friend - and additional note at the end
# 5 - Song has no title - 1:07 sounds like Diana Krall voice for a split second
#11 - plays fine, but a loud beep sound at the end

Diana Krall - Glad Rag Doll
ONLY songs # 12, 14 & 15 play without any issues.
There are considerable skips especially on the first half of the album. With multiple issues within the same song.

I have double checked my equipment and went back and played every high def song I have to make sure there are no universal issues. Your 2013 Sampler, Audiogon 2012 Sampler, Dusty Springfield, Fleetwood Mac and War which I purchased from you previously all work perfectly.

Any ideas on what's going on or how I can fix this will be greatly appreciated. "
post #94 of 108 Old 01-11-2014, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubegem View Post

Skipping issues with Tea for the Tillerman, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Glad Rag Doll

Has anybody purchased these albums and if so do you have any issues.

"

I have both goodbye yellow brick road and tea for the tillerman and have NO problems with either
post #95 of 108 Old 01-13-2014, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrat View Post

I have both goodbye yellow brick road and tea for the tillerman and have NO problems with either

Tea For the Tillermam; no issues....
post #96 of 108 Old 01-18-2014, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 38
If I really really care about hi-fi, I will spend a paycheck and get a nice turntable and put some of my records on.

I just came across Mastered For iTunes Black Sabbath albums that are supposed to sound better than the currently-available CD's. Wonder if those masters will go on HDTracks at all.

A crappy master is going to sound crappy regardless of format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdcase View Post

I've ripped some of my favorite cds to (with Media Monkey) flac and I've also downloaded a couple of HD Tracks' albums. The HD Tracks albums, The Stones' "Between The Buttons" and Fleetwood Mac's "Tango In The Night" sounded significantly better than any of the cds I've ripped. I'm guessing that your mileage will vary. Don't forget that the recording quality of the older albums varies quite a bit and you just can't make a silk purse out of a pig ear.

"Tango In The Night" sounded so much better though, it must have been (at least) remixed. I haven't been able to find much information on the history of these older recordings. I'm think that a lot of the original cds from the 80s and 90s were mixed very poorly so anything remixed or remastered in the past 10 years is going to sound better than a cd that's 15+ years old.

Placebo effect is not to be underestimated. Plus you have to wonder if what you're hearing is all coming from the same master.
bo130 likes this.
post #97 of 108 Old 01-18-2014, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post

A crappy master is going to sound crappy regardless of format

This statement times a million. It can't be overstated. I'd take a well mastered album on CD than a poorly mastered (or from a low generation master tape that I suspect those SHM-SACD's are mastered from) album on HD Tracks, or SACD, any day of the week.
CruelInventions likes this.
post #98 of 108 Old 01-18-2014, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdcase View Post

I'm think that a lot of the original cds from the 80s and 90s were mixed very poorly

I would say it's a case-by-case basis whether an album was remixed for cd to begin with. Not every one has been.
Quote:
so anything remixed or remastered in the past 10 years is going to sound better than a cd that's 15+ years old.

What evidence do you have of this? Are you also aware of the (sad) recent trend of the overuse of compression on music?
post #99 of 108 Old 01-18-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
so anything remixed or remastered in the past 10 years is going to sound better than a cd that's 15+ years old.

I would have to VERY much disagree with you. In fact, I'm finding a lot of remasters done in the last ten years that sound worse than a remaster done before that, or the original release.

Then again, hey, whatever. All that should matter is you get enjoyment out of your music. There's the whole "holier than thou" crowd out there who can't get enjoyment out of anything but vinyl too.
post #100 of 108 Old 05-09-2014, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Myself I don't buy from HD tracks because for some reason the quality just isn't there..I have a well above average 5.1 system and I can always tell when a song is playing that was from HD tracks because the volume takes a 30% drop and I'm always have to up the volume for there songs plus another reason they don't deal with surround sound and that's a big deal for me. people say there is hardly a difference between 2.0 and 5.1 maybe if your listening from a cheap system just try going to a stereo shop and sample some above average 5.1 and you'll see for yourself......back to the subject HD Tracks blows
post #101 of 108 Old 05-09-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I have some HDTracks albums that I like, some are only OK.
J River 19 can run DR ratings. I have found that when the DR ratings are the same between the CD and HDTracks version, the sounds was essentially the same.

It would be nice if HDTracks posted DR ratings. That takes minutes.
I wont go near Concord Music since they sell many downloads with prices that increase with the bit-rate. I doubt they are from a different masters.
This is the definition of a rip-off.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #102 of 108 Old 05-10-2014, 04:01 AM

Well, HDTracks should allow user reviews so that people don't get burned. I realize it's not HDTracks supplying the downloads, but HDTracks should stand behind the product they're selling.
post #103 of 108 Old 05-10-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Well, HDTracks should allow user reviews so that people don't get burned. I realize it's not HDTracks supplying the downloads, but HDTracks should stand behind the product they're selling.

Totally agree. I've been told (by a recording engineer who supplies product/downloads to HDTracks) that while they verify submissions were sourced at the advertised bit rate (e.g. simple analysis reveals it was not something up-converted), the result is still only as good as the actual mastering process (as had been said many times before). Also, while the same release may have two different bit rates available (e.g. 44.1 kHz and 96 kHz), that doesn't necessarily mean they were from the same master, which makes something like a review even more important.

Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps and Mills resistors (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
B&O TX2 Turntable
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
Optoma HD65 Projector
post #104 of 108 Old 05-10-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 59
"Croz" by David Crosby was my first HD Tracks purchase. I use JRiver on my PC connected to an Oppo 105, it sounds incredible. CTA by Chicago was next, pretty good but not in the same league. They should let you ple 30 seconds of tracks to check sq before you purchase.

post #105 of 108 Old 05-10-2014, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 61
But I think that they are starting to clean up their game. This favorite of mine was original recorded in 176/ 24 and that is also the highest bit rate they a selling not 192/24.

http://www.hdtracks.com/there-s-a-time?format=AIFF
post #106 of 108 Old 05-15-2014, 07:27 PM

I will only go there if they are selling a better or different mastering that I want. Otherwise I don't see any benefit to it over buying it on a record or a CD.
post #107 of 108 Old 05-15-2014, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:

I will only go there if they are selling a better or different mastering that I want. Otherwise I don't see any benefit to it over buying it on a record or a CD.

That makes sense. I buy the CD in most cases and rip it which is cheaper.

How can you know if HDTracks has a different master?

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #108 of 108 Old 05-16-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

That makes sense. I buy the CD in most cases and rip it which is cheaper.

How can you know if HDTracks has a different master?

- Rich

Google search and usually you'll find someone on the Hoffman forums or CA talking about it.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page