Best integrated amp for Direct TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-08-2012, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone recommend a high quality integrated amp that can be controlled by the Direct TV remote. I have a 20 year old pair of B&W 801's driven by 2 Aragon 4004's and the Aragon preamp I have won't work with the remote for DTV. Would like a quality integrated but might be better off financially with a good preamp. I don't want a fancy remote. Would like to keep it simple. Just got an Apple TV so the inputs to my Panny Plasma are now Direct TV, Blue Ray and the Apple. Great sound from the B&W's. No need for surround. Just need a quality 2 channel unit with 3 optical inputs controllable by the 2 simple Direct TV remotes my wife & I are used to. Any help and direction is greatly appreciated. I've been trying to figure this out for years!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-08-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 250
None of the integrated amplifiers that I know of can be controlled by a 3rd party remote; you have to use the one that comes with the amplifier.

Since you have two high-quality power amplifiers, you might want to just get a preamp that has its own remote. You don't make it clear if your Aragon preamp even has a remote control.

You might want to consider an Audio Research LS17; that would be a huge upgrade to your system's sound quality.

If that is more money than you want to spend, the Vincent SA-31MK is an excellent preamp for a very reasonable price.

DirecTV lists codes "11154" and "31289" for Marantz, so some of their integrated amplifiers may be controllable from the remote.

You could take your remote to a store where they have Marantz and see if you can get it to work. The 8004 integrated amp is a very nice one, and you could either use its own amplifiers or run its preouts to your Aragon amplifiers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianSTL View Post

Can anyone recommend a high quality integrated amp that can be controlled by the Direct TV remote. I have a 20 year old pair of B&W 801's driven by 2 Aragon 4004's and the Aragon preamp I have won't work with the remote for DTV. Would like a quality integrated but might be better off financially with a good preamp. I don't want a fancy remote. Would like to keep it simple. Just got an Apple TV so the inputs to my Panny Plasma are now Direct TV, Blue Ray and the Apple. Great sound from the B&W's. No need for surround. Just need a quality 2 channel unit with 3 optical inputs controllable by the 2 simple Direct TV remotes my wife & I are used to. Any help and direction is greatly appreciated. I've been trying to figure this out for years!

post #3 of 7 Old 04-08-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Most remotes have the capability of learning commands, the above is only partially valid.

post #4 of 7 Old 04-08-2012, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

What I need is someone with direct experience with this situation. Am old school in my tastes for high end stereo but need a good "command center" to drive the top quality amp & speakers. Have tried B&K, Aragon, Acurus preamps and EAD & Sunfire prepro's. The setup in the DTV remote says these (not aragon) could be controlled by the remote but none could be. Probably too old the be compatible.
May have to settle for a Panasonic box system for the TV and take the high end to another room.
Hoping someone could save me from that.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-08-2012, 05:41 PM

Logitech Harmony One. I don't even touch my Direct-TV remote now.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-16-2012, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I bought the Universal RF Direct TV remote for my wife last year; it is very good at what it does. Like all things it has limitations; after enter entering your manufacturer setup code, you are limited to the codes that actually transfer and the existing hard buttons on the Direct TV remote. Looking through the manual it appears that ‘most’ manufactures have setup codes, however I did notice(quick look) that Classe & Luxman were not on the list.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/technology/remote

Steve
post #7 of 7 Old 04-17-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

There are a number of AVR's and pre/pros that can be controlled by the DirecTV remote. Used in "Pure" or "Direct" mode (each mfr calls it something different) and in conjunction with your amps, they might be a cost-effective answer to your 2-channel needs...

John

"What happens in Vegas..."
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page