Help choosing cheap (and probably temporary) used speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-10-2012, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to sell my ML Sequels because I cannot make them sound good in my room. One of the speakers is tucked tightly into a corner, and that kills the Logans.
My speakers are on consignment at a Hifi Shop, so I am left without music in my basement.

I would like to spend as little as possible on a passable pair of floor standing speakers that I may very well resell in a few months after I have the money from the Logan sale to buy something nice.

The speakers will be used for 100% music with a modified Carver C-1 and Soundcraftsmen MA5002a amplifier.

I have it narrowed down to these options from Craigslist, but I don't know much about vintage speakers.

What are you thoughts on each of these:
B&W DM220i - $175
Infinity Reference Six - $200
Infinity 7.1 Kappa II - $350
Wharfedale Modus One.6 - $400

From my research I am leaning towards the Infinity Reference 6 as being the best deal of the bunch, but the Wharfedale sure are the prettiest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-10-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thst View Post

I am trying to sell my ML Sequels because I cannot make them sound good in my room. One of the speakers is tucked tightly into a corner, and that kills the Logans.
My speakers are on consignment at a Hifi Shop, so I am left without music in my basement.

I would like to spend as little as possible on a passable pair of floor standing speakers that I may very well resell in a few months after I have the money from the Logan sale to buy something nice.

The speakers will be used for 100% music with a modified Carver C-1 and Soundcraftsmen MA5002a amplifier.

I have it narrowed down to these options from Craigslist, but I don't know much about vintage speakers.

B&W DM220i - $175

From my research I am leaning towards the Infinity Reference 6 as being the best deal of the bunch, but the Wharfedale sure are the prettiest.

Infinity Primus P163
post #3 of 13 Old 04-10-2012, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Infinity Primus P163

I should have clarified more. Sorry.

I am looking for floorstanding speakers because the room is fairly large (it also houses my 8' pool table).
I am really looking for a very "solid" "full" sound with good bass presence and "chimey tubey smooth highs".

My ultimate setup would be something along the lines of B&W 802s with McIntosh Electronics.

My thought is to stay in the Minneapolis Craigslist market because my budget is so low for the time being.
post #4 of 13 Old 04-10-2012, 10:52 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I am looking for floorstanding speakers because the room is fairly large (it also houses my 8' pool table).
I am really looking for a very "solid" "full" sound with good bass presence and "chimey tubey smooth highs".

My ultimate setup would be something along the lines of B&W 802s with McIntosh Electronics.

My thought is to stay in the Minneapolis Craigslist market because my budget is so low for the time being.

Large room and "cheap" do not match. Even on Craigslist.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-10-2012, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

Large room and "cheap" do not match. Even on Craigslist.

Any thoughts on any of the speakers I was asking about or are they all throw away crap?

Quote:

B&W DM220i - $175

post #6 of 13 Old 04-10-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Throwing a curve ball:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...916979192.html

Easily one of the most under-appreciated models in the vintage JBL line. Go listen to them.

Combined with a good sub and placed on stands at ear level, these little beauties will amaze you. Woofer surrounds may need some attention.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
What about the floorstanding version of Andrew Jones's speakers from Pioneer? I think a pair of them is $200 shipped from Newegg.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;

post #8 of 13 Old 04-11-2012, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkest View Post

What about the floorstanding version of Andrew Jones's speakers from Pioneer? I think a pair of them is $200 shipped from Newegg.

Do they sound like a $200 pair of speakers? I haven't heard them, but newegg marked them down to $129 a pair and is out of stock.

The good news is I might have a big bump in my speaker budget. I think I found a buyer for a Lexicon RT-20 that has been collecting dust in my basement for a few years, so that will really give me a lot more options.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-11-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primu.../dp/B0044D178S

http://www.highdecibels.com/proddetail.asp?prod=P252
post #10 of 13 Old 04-11-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

B&W DM220i - $175

Used Retail:
B&W $150
Ref Six $75
Kappa II $100
Modus Music 1.6 $315

B.
post #11 of 13 Old 04-13-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
I am selling one of my homes and have two systems to liquidate.

My A/V system has a pair of KEF iQ9 speakers which are excellent-sounding. I paid $1400 for them about 4 years ago, and they are just like new. They got excellent reviews at the time, which I am sure you can look up online. They might be what you need for a reasonably priced permanent upgrade to your system.

I will sell them for $550 plus shipping, if that will help you out.

The 2006 Stereophile review has detailed specs and pictures, etc.

Quote:

B&W DM220i - $175

post #12 of 13 Old 04-13-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I am selling one of my homes and have two systems to liquidate.

My A/V system has a pair of KEF iQ9 speakers which are excellent-sounding. I paid $1400 for them about 4 years ago, and they are just like new. They got excellent reviews at the time, which I am sure you can look up online. They might be what you need for a reasonably priced permanent upgrade to your system.

I will sell them for $550 plus shipping, if that will help you out.

The 2006 Stereophile review has detailed specs and pictures, etc.

There is an appropriate place on AVS to sell your gear. This is not it.
post #13 of 13 Old 04-14-2012, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Do they sound like a $200 pair of speakers? I haven't heard them, but newegg marked them down to $129 a pair and is out of stock.

The good news is I might have a big bump in my speaker budget. I think I found a buyer for a Lexicon RT-20 that has been collecting dust in my basement for a few years, so that will really give me a lot more options.

Those Pioneer speakers are killer, and punch way out of their weight class.

I recently purchased a pair of the middle bookshelf version (BS41's) in that lineup. Absolutely dynamite! Atkinson (Stereophile Magazine) measured them in an extremely favorable review and said that they measured like speakers that cost $1000 a pair. The floorstanding versions put out a bit more bass.

I bought mine with the idea of using them temporarily while I mulled over the choice of some rather expensive speakers. Now I'm not in such a big hurry to make up my mind. I can happily live with them for a while. They're that good

Cheers,
SB
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page