Looking for new pre-amp to replace C-5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-19-2012, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Carver C-5 pre-amp (bought in 1992) is dying. When raising/lowering the volume knob, I get loud, annoying crackling sounds. Also, the power switch is broken (remote works ok). I would like to find a replacement but am out of touch as to what is decent (don't want to bother with repairs). Looking for something under $500. Used is an option too if there is a good model out there.

The amp is a Carver TFM-45 with a couple of DT BP-10s and a DT sub. The only source I have is an Oppo-93.

One feature I would like to have (and I'm not sure if it's even available) is to have a switched outlet on the back of the preamp which can handle the amp. The amp switch doesn't work on a remote and the C-5 can't handle the amp on its outlets so I always need to manually switch the amp on and off. Everything else works with my Harmony One remote except for the amp.

I don't think it needs any digital inputs since the analog outputs on the Oppo seem to be working great (love that Oppo).

-Shimon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-20-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Unfortunately, the preamps for under $2000 are few, and most are not very good. Parasound has a couple that are under $1000, but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

The one that is pretty good for less than $1000 is the Vincent SA-31, which I think goes for $650. I think you are stuck with manual operation on the power amplifier, though, because the current surge at turn-on would be too much for a switched outlet on a preamp, even if it had one. I have the same problem with my Bryston amplifier.

Another possibility would be to find a good used integrated amplifier that has preamp outputs and use it as a preamp. A Cambridge 550A or 650A can be used that way, or a NAD325 or 326.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimonmor View Post

My Carver C-5 pre-amp (bought in 1992) is dying. When raising/lowering the volume knob, I get loud, annoying crackling sounds. Also, the power switch is broken (remote works ok). I would like to find a replacement but am out of touch as to what is decent (don't want to bother with repairs). Looking for something under $500. Used is an option too if there is a good model out there.

The amp is a Carver TFM-45 with a couple of DT BP-10s and a DT sub. The only source I have is an Oppo-93.

One feature I would like to have (and I'm not sure if it's even available) is to have a switched outlet on the back of the preamp which can handle the amp. The amp switch doesn't work on a remote and the C-5 can't handle the amp on its outlets so I always need to manually switch the amp on and off. Everything else works with my Harmony One remote except for the amp.

I don't think it needs any digital inputs since the analog outputs on the Oppo seem to be working great (love that Oppo).

post #3 of 8 Old 04-20-2012, 10:04 AM

Liked: 49
Quote:

When raising/lowering the volume knob, I get loud, annoying crackling sounds.

Likely the contact point in volume potentiometer is dirty. It will take opening up the chassis but couple shots of electronics contact cleaning spray will solve that. A few $ solution.

Quote:

Also, the power switch is broken (remote works ok). I would like to find a replacement but am out of touch as to what is decent (don't want to bother with repairs). Looking for something under $500. Used is an option too if there is a good model out there.

Having someone to replace the switch and clean the volume pot is a lot less than $500.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-20-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 220
All Carver components are usually repairable for a flat rate fee at one of the shops in Washington state. I think that's your best option, and cheapest.

I'd suggest going to the source: http://www.ritasvintageaudio.com/
360-568-4700 The flat rate should be $270.

If you're willing to wait for it, you can usually get the unit autographed by the man himself.
Send the TFM-45 in too, it's due for a re-cap and tune up.

Resist the temptation for something newer, what you have is great and you'd just miss that sound.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-20-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by diomania View Post

Likely the contact point in volume potentiometer is dirty. It will take opening up the chassis but couple shots of electronics contact cleaning spray will solve that. A few $ solution.

Having someone to replace the switch and clean the volume pot is a lot less than $500.

Ditto.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-20-2012, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you to all who replied!

Well, it seems that my best option is to have my C-5 repaired. Especially since it's only located about 1 hour away. I think I will take both the C-5 and the TFM-45 in and have them gone through and brought up to spec. Those two units have served me well for 20 years and I do like them so I guess I will treat them right and give 'em a "tune-up" and repairs.

Thanks, rdgrimes, for posting that link to the service facility. I will call them on Monday and see about dropping off both units soon.

As for turning on the amp with a remote...I'm sure there is a device out there that the amp can plug into and has a remote receiver. I think I'll post that question in the Harmony One thread and see if anyone has some ideas.

Thank again to all who took the time to provide sound advice.

-Shimon
post #7 of 8 Old 04-20-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:

As for turning on the amp with a remote...I'm sure there is a device out there that the amp can plug into and has a remote receiver. .

Consider a simple power strip with "master" and "slave" sockets. When the master turns on the slave(s) are powered on. Just be sure it has adequate load ratings.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-21-2012, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Consider a simple power strip with "master" and "slave" sockets. When the master turns on the slave(s) are powered on. Just be sure it has adequate load ratings.

Good suggestion. Thanks. I was only able to find this one: http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Energy-S...cmu_pg__header

Are there other the products that are of higher quality? This one looks like it is a cheap, Chinese product (what isn't, these days?).

-Shimon
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page