Newbie Looking For Ideas - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-23-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to buy a low-budget sound system for my home theater, but I know nothing about them. I am thinking a decent 2 channel system might be my best bet to start with. These Sony speakers seem to be a great buy. My home theater is in a smallish corner of my basement, so I think they would work well for me. Would I also want to purchase a subwoofer for these, or would they be satisfactory as-is? As for the receiver... I have no idea. I currently do not want 5.1 because I cannot currently run lots of wiring and will likely be moving my home theater very soon, but having the option in the future would probably be nice. Something cheap and easy would probably be my best bet, so perhaps this Yamaha receiver? Sorry for all the newbie questions... I'm just getting started with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-23-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Check out the Pioneer SP-BS51-LR. A much better speaker than the Sony which falls into your price range. Pretty sure Best Buy carries it.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-23-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegeta13613 View Post

I am looking to buy a low-budget sound system for my home theater, but I know nothing about them. I am thinking a decent 2 channel system might be my best bet to start with. These Sony speakers seem to be a great buy. My home theater is in a smallish corner of my basement, so I think they would work well for me. Would I also want to purchase a subwoofer for these, or would they be satisfactory as-is? As for the receiver... I have no idea. I currently do not want 5.1 because I cannot currently run lots of wiring and will likely be moving my home theater very soon, but having the option in the future would probably be nice. Something cheap and easy would probably be my best bet, so perhaps this Yamaha receiver? Sorry for all the newbie questions... I'm just getting started with this.

I suggest you look into these speakers:

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloud...s/605infinity/
post #4 of 7 Old 04-24-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
The Sony speakers are very cheap; no doubt about that.

What is your price range?

Quote:

post #5 of 7 Old 04-24-2012, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

The Sony speakers are very cheap; no doubt about that.

What is your price range?

Cheap yes, but they also seem to be fairly thought of, at least in that price range. I spent a lot on my projector/screen, so money is a bit tight. I would like to keep it under $300 for my fronts... preferably closer to the $200 mark. I have decided I will be slowly upgrading this to a 5.1. I want to be clear that I am not an audiophile. I want good sound, yes, but only the best I can get within my budget. The Sonys seem like a decent choice to me because they are well within my budget, are readily available on Amazon (as are their matching counterparts when I do upgrade to 5.1). The Pioneer SP-BS51-LR do seem like a nice set of fronts, but as a complete newbie to this, I have no way to to judge them against the Sony SS-F6000 (my current choice for fronts). Amazon reviews are helpful, but only to a degree.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-24-2012, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 42
The Pioneers were designed by Andrew Jones, one of the top speaker designers in the business. He was chief designer for KEF speakers before moving over to Pioneer where he designed the TAD Model 1 a $45000 speaker. His entry level Pioneers are highly regarded. Well worth a listen.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-26-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
I don't know who speaks well of them, but IMO the Sony speakers are very mediocre-sounding. I very much doubt that you would be happy with the way they sound.

The Polk Model 60 speakers are under $300, and will sound considerably better, as will the Pioneer BS41 or BF51.

I am sure that they are more than you want to spend, but a really really great deal right now on some high-quality speakers is the Wharfdale EVO2-20 speakers at Music Direct. They were $1200, but right now they are being closed out for a bargain price; $480 per pair.

Quote:

Cheap yes, but they also seem to be fairly thought of, at least in that price range. I spent a lot on my projector/screen, so money is a bit tight. I would like to keep it under $300 for my fronts... preferably closer to the $200 mark. I have decided I will be slowly upgrading this to a 5.1. I want to be clear that I am not an audiophile. I want good sound, yes, but only the best I can get within my budget. The Sonys seem like a decent choice to me because they are well within my budget, are readily available on Amazon (as are their matching counterparts when I do upgrade to 5.1). The Pioneer SP-BS51-LR do seem like a nice set of fronts, but as a complete newbie to this, I have no way to to judge them against the Sony SS-F6000 (my current choice for fronts). Amazon reviews are helpful, but only to a degree.

Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page