Direct-to-customer integrated amps? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 04-27-2012, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been VERY grateful for discovering speaker-to-customer manufacturers on AVS, even though shipping is insanely high and these manufacturers are choosing couriers that want $75+ brokerage fees (before taxes) when there are couriers that collect taxes without charging brokerage fees, or very little brokerage fees (i.e. UPS, USPS, etc.).

So, I was wondering if there are any integrated amp manufacturers that ONLY sell direct-to-customer. Are there any??? With the Canadian & American dollar on par it makes a lot of sense to buy direct from the USA because I can't afford to spend $2825CDN/$2800USD after taxes for an HK990 at Best Buy Canada. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-27-2012, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I assume you mean two channel integrated amps. I can recommend these two:

Audio by Van Alstine Insight+ Integrated Amp

Outlaw RR2150 Stereo Receiver
post #3 of 20 Old 04-27-2012, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much!!! The outlaw even has a USB port. I was hoping for coax (for PC) & optical inputs (PS3).

Will the USB allow my PC to bipass soundcard and play ALL audio, or is it JUST for streaming music files...and I'd have to use the Outlaw remote to change songs?
post #4 of 20 Old 04-28-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I think your best bet is to buy an amplifier manufactured or at least sourced in Canada. There are none that I know of that sell factory-direct, so I think that is not going to happen.

Since Bryston is a Canadian company, I would think that the prices there would be favorable, and their quality is excellent and their warranty is 20 years!!

You might want to check Canadian dealers for the price on their B60 amplifier.

Another company you should check out is partsconnexion in Ontario, which sells Music Hall amplifiers, which are excellent, and very reasonably priced. That would be a very good way to go.

They list the Music Hall A35.2 (85 watts/ch) at $799 US; you would need to call them to get the price direct to you in Canada, I guess. They also have the A70.2, which is 150 watts/ch.
1-905-681-9602

SimAudio and Classe are two other Canadian companies that make top-quality amplifiers.

The SimAudio Moon 250i is an excellent amplifier you might want to look for. I don't think they sell factory-direct, but you can find a Canadian dealer by going to their website and entering your postal code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyBGood View Post

I've been VERY grateful for discovering speaker-to-customer manufacturers on AVS, even though shipping is insanely high and these manufacturers are choosing couriers that want $75+ brokerage fees (before taxes) when there are couriers that collect taxes without charging brokerage fees, or very little brokerage fees (i.e. UPS, USPS, etc.).

So, I was wondering if there are any integrated amp manufacturers that ONLY sell direct-to-customer. Are there any??? With the Canadian & American dollar on par it makes a lot of sense to buy direct from the USA because I can't afford to spend $2825CDN/$2800USD after taxes for an HK990 at Best Buy Canada. Thanks.

post #5 of 20 Old 04-28-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I've seen the hk990 at amazon for 1795.
post #6 of 20 Old 04-28-2012, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

I've seen the hk990 at amazon for 1795.

Exactly. Unfortunately, the Canadian version (amazon.ca) is VASTLY different from the American version and lists HK990 at $2499.99 + 13% taxes to Ontario even though the Canadian dollar is currently SLIGHTLY stronger right now.

I e-mailed with Bryston this morning, but I just can't afford their new integrated amp, which looks great.
post #7 of 20 Old 04-28-2012, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Fortunately, the current exchange rate makes now a good time to buy boutique direct-to-customer speakers, so there's that little light at the end of the tunnel. Lots of choices, too (Ascend Acoustics, JTR, Philharmonic, etc.).
post #8 of 20 Old 04-28-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 742
+1 for the Outlaw Audio Stereo Receiver already mentioned. One neat thing about it is that it has analog high pass filters built in if you want to use a sub.

Emotiva carries a 2 channel amp and some mono blocks that you would need a separate preamp for (although the XPA-2 is out of stock at the moment). They also have a small mini 2 channel amp. They do carry a stereo preamp and a separate DAC, so you could put together something quite nice.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #9 of 20 Old 04-28-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Exactly. Unfortunately, the Canadian version (amazon.ca) is VASTLY different from the American version and lists HK990 at $2499.99 + 13% taxes to Ontario even though the Canadian dollar is currently SLIGHTLY stronger right now.

I e-mailed with Bryston this morning, but I just can't afford their new integrated amp, which looks great.

I'd love to have a Bryston.
post #10 of 20 Old 04-28-2012, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

If any Canadians want to chime in with any store chains, please feel free. The upcoming NAD C 390DD is the only other integrated amp that has got the digital inputs I'm looking for, but I doubt it'll be in Canada any time soon. I've never seen Emotiva or Parasound in a store in my entire life. What many of you (who are really nice in trying to help) don't realize is that postal code searches are useless features in Canada. I've used them so many times only to find so-called dealers a couple of streets away in a residential house who only work as pro audio package installers. Or I'll find distributors who refer me to dealers that don't carry the models I want. With the exception of big box store, my "high end" stores have really limited brands...Marantz & Pioneer for example...and that will be IT for the whole store. There's one last store I need to hit before totally giving up and risking purchasing from unauthorized eBay dealers, or delaying the purchase altogether.

Sorry for being so negative and thanks for the ideas. I guess the answer to my question is "no, there are no American or Canadian manufacturers of integrated amps w/ digital inputs that are sold direct to the customer".
post #11 of 20 Old 04-28-2012, 09:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Right. Emotiva is Internet only. If you search on AVS, you'll find people using their components sometimes, especially their 3 and 5 channel amps in HT setups.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #12 of 20 Old 04-29-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Will the USB allow my PC to bipass soundcard and play ALL audio, or is it JUST for streaming music files...and I'd have to use the Outlaw remote to change songs?

JohnyBGood:
Good question. Anyone used the Outlaw RR 2150 USB port for a computer hookup? The online manual has an illustration showing a laptop computer plugged into the RR 2150 USB port but no text explanation - it just refers to "compatible devices." A related question is about whether or not the Outlaw has a decent DAC in the USB circuit?

mnilan
post #13 of 20 Old 04-29-2012, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnilan View Post

JohnyBGood:
Good question. Anyone used the Outlaw RR 2150 USB port for a computer hookup? The online manual has an illustration showing a laptop computer plugged into the RR 2150 USB port but no text explanation - it just refers to "compatible devices." A related question is about whether or not the Outlaw has a decent DAC in the USB circuit?

I looked in the manual as well, and found nothing about a DAC or any ability to decode digital forms of audio.

Because it says nothing about it, we have to assume there is none. It still is a good 2-channel integrated amp at a decent price.
post #14 of 20 Old 04-29-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Emotiva also has a USB DAC that's gotten good recommendations here in the 2 channel audio forum. It also functions as a preamp with multiple source selectors and a volume control.

post #15 of 20 Old 05-02-2012, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

From Outlaw CS "RR2150's USB input will handle all of your computer's audio, not just streaming music files." That's awesome and would take care of 95% of my needs. But then I'd have to re-install my PS3's AV cables and bipass audio from HDMI to composite, which SHOULD be possible, but isn't as clean as being able to add an optical.

@glangford
I think I just realized the Amazon comment you made. The HK990 is back on sale for the price you quoted before! REALLY tempting!

@cel4145
The "Country" drop-down menu only lists United States. I'm going to e-mail them to see if they ship to Canada, too...
EDIT: Someone told Emotiva that Canada isn't in North America and everyone outside of North America needs to call to place orders.
post #16 of 20 Old 05-04-2012, 01:28 PM
EC
AVS Special Member

go on canuckaudiomart.com which sells used gear (and some new via dealers). Think of audiogon for Canada. Most of the buyers and sellers are in the GTA. You can pick up an older integrated amp for dirt cheap.

Eric Chong
My HT Pictures
post #17 of 20 Old 05-04-2012, 04:52 PM

Hello All,

I started this journey with HT in mind but soon caught the bug for 2 channel music listening as well. I have an oppo bdp-95 and originally it was hooked up to my denon 3312 to power a pair of goldenear triton 2's. Not being able to use the DAC in the oppo this way i decided to bypass the denon and add an integrated amp (Marantz PM5004) while this greatly improved SQ it stopped working 3 days in which has given me little faith to replace for same unit. I spent less $$ and tried the Cambridge Azur 350A and although it sounds good i didnt realize i can't independently control both sets of speakers (A & B), it appears that either only A is on or A & B is on but never just B which is what i want. The Marantz had that option but im wondering if there are any other options for around $650 or less? I'm new to this so your help is definitely appreciated.

Thanks
post #18 of 20 Old 07-02-2012, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 63
My NAD C 390DD arrives Friday at a US based postal receiving service this coming Friday. $10 USD for them to receive it. smile.gif

How's the new house Eric? smile.gif
post #19 of 20 Old 07-02-2012, 09:29 PM
EC
AVS Special Member

new house = all gear still in boxes from the move over 2 years ago including close to 4000 watts of power amplifcation (had to relate this to the thread somehow).

Eric Chong
My HT Pictures
post #20 of 20 Old 07-03-2012, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Magnum Dynalab
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page