Cheap and compact setup for music/TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-29-2012, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello:

I have a PS3 (fat) and a Pioneer plasma (720p). I have been using the TV's speakers since the beginning and I think it's time to upgrade. The main reason is music, not movies so I don't think I need 5.1 or 7.1 set up. Neither I want many speakers. Just don't care about movies that much.

So, I need 2 or 2.1 setup mainly for music.

The other requirement is size. I want the whole set up to be as compact as possible. I understand that speakers need to move a lot of air, so I will consider floor-standing speakers but would really prefer shelf-size ones.

The amplifier. Or decoder. Or that thing that drives the speakers. Ideally I want a small unit with HDMI pass-through so I can connect HDMI PS3 to the unit and the unit to TV (I have PS3 connected to the TV via HDMI). I want to minimize number of wires I have to run. I really don't care if it has CD player or not. Also I think I can use PS3 optical output to the amp and HDMI to the TV -- perfectly acceptable.

The subwoofer. Optional. Preferably wireless.

The room. "Acoustic nightmare".

Price. I really want to stay under $500. Or less.

Suggestions?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-29-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
U sounds like u just walked into Best Buys online and ask what we sell! Online free forums are more for specific technical questions, what u ask is too broad, but OK maybe u get lucky and sumone here has the exact answer u need.

My short answer: A set of self-amplified speakers. Many times the amp is built into the subwoofer box then u get 2 smallish speakers to go with it for your 2.1 There is a vendor I like but can't recall at the moment.

"Move lots of airs" - not necessarily. Depends how big is the room you want to fill and your listening position. $500 is not gonna get you any decent floor-standings, but again I say u may not need those.

Wires - this is a fools' errand. U wire as many as needed for what u need. I don't see many people willing to spend time sorting through this requirement of yours.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-29-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 780
I could be wrong, but I doubt you will find some kind of compact receiver with HDMI in your budget range for receiver and speakers. Given the size of your budget, you might watch for specials on Newegg (subscribe to their mailing list) and Amazon for a budget Pioneer, Yamaha, or Onkyo AV receiver. A little patience, and you should be able to get one under $200.

However, doesn't your PS3 have optical out? If so, then you might have better luck finding a compact unit.

You should ask in the subwoofer forum, but I also doubt that there is a decent wireless sub that won't eat up your budget very quickly. For instance, there is the Polk PSWi225, although the low frequency response is not great (36Hz dB).

So I'd probably put my money into bookshelf speakers that go down to around 50hz and then decide later on if you need a sub as a future upgrade.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #4 of 9 Old 04-29-2012, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, PS3 does have toslink, I totally forgot about it. Thank you!

And yes, I just walked into a BestBuy. Sorry, if this kind of questions are not appropriate here.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-02-2012, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

After a few days with major headache I have settled on Denon AVR-1312 + Polk Audio Monitor 50 Series II. Not as compact as I hoped, but for $350 total seems like a good deal.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-04-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I suggest that you go with with the 1612 instead; a lot more receiver for slightly more money.

I think the Polk Monitor 40 speakers actually sound better and would be worth considering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemon17 View Post

After a few days with major headache I have settled on Denon AVR-1312 + Polk Audio Monitor 50 Series II. Not as compact as I hoped, but for $350 total seems like a good deal.

post #7 of 9 Old 05-05-2012, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

I went with Monitor 50's mainly because I would not need any speaker stands. It would add more headache, more time spent searching the Internet for options which I would consider counterproductive. The speakers arrived yesterday.
And the 5-way connectors actually made me wonder why there were 4 of them per speaker and, after some googling I learnt about "bi-amping".
As far as I have understood bi-amping is sending higher and lower [sound] frequencies to different terminals via two sets of wires to each speaker and may make sense for some setups.
Does it make sense for my set up? Is it even possible? Reading Denon AVR-xx12 thread I think bi-amping will not produce any effect.

Thank you!
post #8 of 9 Old 05-05-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:

As far as I have understood bi-amping is sending higher and lower [sound] frequencies to different terminals via two sets of wires to each speaker and may make sense for some setups.

No, that's biwiring, which never makes sense for any setup. (But lots of people do it anyway.) Bi-amping would require two amps and only makes sense if you're going to replace the crossovers in the speakers.

Forget about this, and just hook up one wire.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #9 of 9 Old 05-14-2012, 01:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
daemon17 I hope that everything works out with the good sound with the speakers and receiver. You got what you wanted and got to stay under your budget. Enjoy the stereo.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page