5.1 receiver with 2.1 speakers - Doesn't Work - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-29-2012, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had two nice BIC floor speakers and a random powered subwoofer that came with the house.

Was looking for a 2.1 AV receiver, but bought a Sony 5.1 unit that was on sale. With XBox 360, Sony blu-ray, and Roku for inputs, and wiring my two main speakers to the "front" outputs on the receiver, I have great music, but no dialogue. A few old games and Roku work fine, but i assume they're not sending 5.1 signals to the receiver.

Do I need to return my receiver and buy a 2.1 unit, or is it possible to get all of my sound to one pair of speakers with the 5.1 somehow? Alternatively, how many more speakers would I need if that's not possible?

Use small words - I'm obviously not AV literate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-29-2012, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Have you poked around the setup screen for the receiver?

Typically one must "teach" the receiver of how many speakers are in use. Look for a speaker setup page in the settings and configure it for the 2.1 you have. It ought to begin to downsizing to stereo.

Be sure to set the crossover level for the L/R mains (set them to small). Try 80 hz to start.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 Old 05-08-2012, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yeah, there should be a menu option in the AVR (Receiver) to set-up your speakers. You can usually choose yes/no to FL/FR (Yes), Center (No), SL/SR (No) and Subwoofer (Yes). And as suggested, set the FL/FR to "small" and sub crossover to 80Hz (for starters), and if you have a dial/knob on your sub for a crossover, dial that all the way up (as high as it goes - typically 200Hz or so) - or you may have a by-pass toggle switch in which case you will want to select by-pass.

Absent of those set-up options, you should be able to choose "stereo" mode on your AVR remote or front panel which will downmix the surround to 2 channels only (and sub).

If you can let us know the model of your AVR and sub we might be able to assist further if needed.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page