New amplifier for Paradigm Studio 60 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 04-30-2012, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Dr.Hibbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: A suberb of Moskow, Russia.
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello.
I'm from Russia; it's my first post here, so I must apologize for my bad English.
Two and half years ago I bought stereo consists of CD player Rotel RCD-1072, amp Rotel RA1062 and, finally, acoustic Paradigm 60 v.4. I really fell in love with Paradigms because of its dynamic, linearity and soft enough sound with great (in my 19 square meters listening room) bass and outstanding soundstage for its price. Rotel 1062 firstly seemed me good enough for Paradigms thanks to its details, linearity and bass control. But some times ago I started to notice some roughness in high frequencies, appearing as exceeding sibilants and sometimes schematic and metallic-sounded subtle HF details. I suppose my amp causes this disadvantage mostly than Paradigms.
So I'd like to ask the following questions.
1) Am I right thinking that in my stereo Rotel is source of HF roughness?
2) If the first question answer is "yes", what amplifiers with Rotel's bass control but naturally-sounded HF would you recommend?
3) What about Bryston B60? I understand that its quality grade is significantly higher than studio's, but, in first, it can fully expose studio's capabilities and, in second, with Bryston I get ability to farther upgrade my stereo because of Bryston's universality and sound quality (if I only will have enough money).
Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.
Dr.Hibbert is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 Old 04-30-2012, 02:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
glangford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,753
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Hello to Russia! Its been years (since 2001) since I've been in Moscow. Lovely city, I've visited about 5 or 6 times (Unfortunately it seems a lot of those were in January!!)

Anyway, I'd be sure its not the speaker before I did anything. Can you audition another speaker in your home? Take your rotel to a dealer and try out another speaker? If that seems to point to the rotel, I'm not sure I'd swing for the bryston. Its also rated at 60 wpc, just like the rotel. The paradigms have a max rated power input of 150 wpc, although they are efficient and can be driven to loud levels at 60 wpc, but the possibility of clipping is there. Does this sound occur at very high volume levels, if so you may be clipping in the rotel. This can damage a speaker so cut if down until it quits. This would indicate you need more power not another 60 wpc amp.

Your english in much better than my russian!!

до свидания
glangford is offline  
post #3 of 30 Old 04-30-2012, 03:47 AM
Moderator
 
PooperScooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Leominster MA
Posts: 19,770
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 73
What about room acoustics/treatments? Room reflections could be the cause of your "HF roughness".

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
PooperScooper is offline  
post #4 of 30 Old 04-30-2012, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
glangford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,753
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 46
^^^

Room effects is another good possibility. I have a set of paradigm studio 10 v5 bookshelf speakers. At the time I got them I hooked them up in 2 channel mode to a denon avr-789. I was asking in the amps and recievers section about a good integrated amp to replace the denon and the guys there recommended I try audyssey first, so I did. It took a little of the 'edge' off and made things just sound a little better. Looking at the frequency response curve after audyssey was run showed that it rolled off the high frequencies about 5-6 db.

I was impressed enough that I upgraded to a denon 3311ci (the 789 had a firmware bug that required sending back to the manufacturer) instead of an integrated amp. In two channel mode an AVR can provide near its rated power.

You might try an AVR and run room correction and see if that helps any.
glangford is offline  
post #5 of 30 Old 04-30-2012, 05:05 AM
 
buddahead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,903
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi Dr. Hibbert. I used a Rotel integrated for years with good speakers.I just replaced the Rotel and it made a huge difference.Any new amp like Bryston will make a huge difference.Even a cheaper good quality integrated like Creek' Rega'Krell' Music Hall' ect will do wonders.And beware of advice here'Many here think every thing sounds the same and hanging a picture on the wall will make a bigger difference than new speakers or amps.But ditch the Rotel and get something to make those speakers sing.Good luck.Bob
buddahead is offline  
post #6 of 30 Old 04-30-2012, 05:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 13,890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Hibbert View Post

Hello.
I'm from Russia; it's my first post here, so I must apologize for my bad English.
Two and half years ago I bought stereo consists of CD player Rotel RCD-1072, amp Rotel RA1062 and, finally, acoustic Paradigm 60 v.4. I really fell in love with Paradigms because of its dynamic, linearity and soft enough sound with great (in my 19 square meters listening room) bass and outstanding soundstage for its price. Rotel 1062 firstly seemed me good enough for Paradigms thanks to its details, linearity and bass control.

A success story!

Quote:
But some times ago I started to notice some roughness in high frequencies, appearing as exceeding sibilants and sometimes schematic and metallic-sounded subtle HF details. I suppose my amp causes this disadvantage mostly than Paradigms.

That supposition is hard to support given the other possibilities which are equally or even more likely.

Quote:
So I'd like to ask the following questions.
1) Am I right thinking that in my stereo Rotel is source of HF roughness?

It is far from being certain.

Modern amplifiers are among the most perfected of all audio gear, with DACs running just ahead or just behind.

The *least* perfected of all audio gear are loudspeakers, rooms, and recordings.

I'm not suggesting that you run right out an buy new speakers. But I am suggesting that you pay attention to how the speakers and the room are working together to provide you with the sound you hear.

The most effective and reliable ways to improve the sound quality of an audio system that has reached the high levels of the equipment you already have is to work on room acoustics and room/speaker interfacing with an equalizer.
arnyk is online now  
post #7 of 30 Old 04-30-2012, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Dr.Hibbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: A suberb of Moskow, Russia.
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks you very much for concern on my trouble, I really was surprised to find so many detailed answers!
I'll try to answer all of you.
I used not correct world "roughness", I ought to say "crisp HF". HF is crisp sometimes, only on some genres and artists, e.g. on Norah Jones or Skye Edwards's vocals. It appears particularly on women's vocal, but sometimes – on a husky man's vocal, such as Mark Knopfler's. So, as variant, might it be due to the records quality?
I don't sure about clipping because it appears at comparatively low volumes, and not depends on volume from half past 8 till 11. And I don't need more powerful amp because I like mid volumes in my comparatively small room.
My friend's stereo based on hybrid Opera Audio Consonance A120 coupled with Jamo D450 has not such a crisp in the same typical Russian room (even more resonant than mine), so it isn't room acoustic effect only. My stereo sounded a little crisp in 3 rather different rooms. I'd listened my paradigms with his opera audio in one, and HF was noticeable silkier and smoother than in couple with Rotel, but not as soft as Jamo's HF. So I understand, that speakers are less perfect gear and give much more difference in sound than middle-cost amps.
On the other hand, I'd listened RA1062 with some others acoustic: Dali Ikon6, B&W CM 7 – HF remained a little crisp in varying levels. Even with B&W 805 Rotel gave a bit crisp sound, but 805 sounded smooth enough with Prima Lune tube amp. Reading this forum I've found some people think Paradigm Studio's HF not so smooth, and there's the same opinion about Rotel, so I suppose than in this couple occurs effect's mutual amplification. And because I like studio 60's sound style best of all within this price bracket I don't want to change them and I try to find amp sounded with Paradigms silky in HF like Opera A120, but controlling bass as well as Rotel.
Summarizing, opinion is divided – Buddahead advises try to change amp, Arnold advises not… What to do? It's clear only about room acoustic; I know that bad room might kill perfect sound.
To: buddahead. I dream about Bryston, though I never heard it, because of many comments such as " The Bryston B-60 gives you more than a taste of the High End—it gives you the High End" (c). But now I can't afford it. Maybe in far future I'll accumulate enough money for change speakers too with Paradigm S2, for example, or even with Westlake LC 6.5 or even 8, and I'd like to have at that moment true high-end universal amp. But if I can't, I'd like examine cheaper amps. By the way, what can you say about couple Musical Fidelity with Studios? I'd listened it but with Audiovectors and was well impressed, but how would it deal with my Paradigms? Has any reason to bear it from about 100 km to listen at home with studios?
PS Special thanks to Glangford for givin' good mark for my English. If you only know how much time I spent writing posts… Besides, your Russian is not so bad too!
Dmitry.
Dr.Hibbert is offline  
post #8 of 30 Old 04-30-2012, 06:29 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member
 
ap1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Do you hear this roughness at high volume only or at low volume too? If high volume only affected, it is possible that your amp is not up to the task. For speakers like yours, I suggest amplifier rated at least 200W/channel. On the other side, it is possible that you have problems with records. I own more advanced system, but on some records I have to use tone control to bring treble down a bit.
ap1 is online now  
post #9 of 30 Old 04-30-2012, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Dr.Hibbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: A suberb of Moskow, Russia.
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To: glangford
HF is not too much, but a little crispy in different rooms, even in dealer's large, anechoic enough room. I want no less HF, I want it more smooth and combined with midrange.
Dr.Hibbert is offline  
post #10 of 30 Old 04-30-2012, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Dr.Hibbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: A suberb of Moskow, Russia.
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

Do you hear this roughness at high volume only or at low volume too?

From low enough volume (volume control at half past 8) till high. I don't listen very loudly, no more loudly than at half past 10 volume control position.
Dr.Hibbert is offline  
post #11 of 30 Old 04-30-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
glangford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,753
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Hibbert View Post

PS Special thanks to Glangford for givin' good mark for my English. If you only know how much time I spent writing posts… Besides, your Russian is not so bad too!
Dmitry.

I used an on-line translator. I've forgotten all my cryllic letters since I last went to Moscow. I was kind of getting used to cryllic navigating the subway system.

One integrated to consider would be the yamaha-s1000 or s-2000. 90 wpc. Most say its a laid back 'warm' sound, which some don't like. The main difference between the 1000 and 2000 is the 2000 has balanced inputs. Otherwise they are nearly identical. Both are built like a tank. Google some reviews of both and if possible see if you can try one out somewhere.
glangford is offline  
post #12 of 30 Old 04-30-2012, 08:08 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member
 
ap1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

I used an on-line translator. I've forgotten all my cryllic letters since I last went to Moscow. I was kind of getting used to cryllic navigating the subway system.

One integrated to consider would be the yamaha-s1000 or s-2000. 90 wpc. Most say its a laid back 'warm' sound, which some don't like. The main difference between the 1000 and 2000 is the 2000 has balanced inputs. Otherwise they are nearly identical. Both are built like a tank. Google some reviews of both and if possible see if you can try one out somewhere.

Considering the price of these Yamahas he can better decide on changing speakers to something else.
ap1 is online now  
post #13 of 30 Old 04-30-2012, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
SpotcheckBilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western Colorado
Posts: 689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
In my experience those Paradigm speakers might be considered to sound "bright". I would strongly recommend auditioning some different speakers before changing electronics.

Cheers,
SB
SpotcheckBilly is offline  
post #14 of 30 Old 04-30-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
glangford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,753
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 46
He said he loves the paradigms so I was trying options that accommodated that. Upgrading speakers is always fun!
glangford is offline  
post #15 of 30 Old 04-30-2012, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Dr.Hibbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: A suberb of Moskow, Russia.
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

He said he loves the paradigms ...

studio in his price segment. In this price segment I like also Jamo D450 with quiet different sound. They sounded more naturally and without brightness at all, but I prefer paradigms for its dynamic and really deep bass; besides, Jamo's high seemed to me, otherwise, a little muffled. These two models of speakers impressed me most of all other listened speakers cost no more than $2000 per pair: Monitor Audio RS6, Dali Ikon 6, Focal JM Lab Horus 726, AE Aelite 3, B&W cm7, Elac FS247...
Generally, without regard to price, I was especially liked sound of Westlake Audio Lc 8.1, driven by tube amp VTL, but, unfortunately, can't afford it. But among speakers priced no more than $2000, I still like Paradigms studio best of all. So if I decide change speakers, I will examine more expensive models, which whenever will demand more advanced amp. So I've decided to start upgrade from amp.
Dr.Hibbert is offline  
post #16 of 30 Old 04-30-2012, 11:08 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member
 
ap1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Hibbert View Post

studio in his price segment. In this price segment I like also Jamo D450 with quiet different sound. They sounded more naturally and without brightness at all, but I prefer paradigms for its dynamic and really deep bass; besides, Jamo's high seemed to me, otherwise, a little muffled. These two models of speakers impressed me most of all other listened speakers cost no more than $2000 per pair: Monitor Audio RS6, Dali Ikon 6, Focal JM Lab Horus 726, AE Aelite 3, B&W cm7, Elac FS247...
Generally, without regard to price, I was especially liked sound of Westlake Audio Lc 8.1, driven by tube amp VTL, but, unfortunately, can't afford it. But among speakers priced no more than $2000, I still like Paradigms studio best of all. So if I decide change speakers, I will examine more expensive models, which whenever will demand more advanced amp. So I've decided to start upgrade from amp.

Westlake are near field monitors. Are you sure you do not sit too close to your speakers? You have to be at least 3 meters from them (4 is better) for good sound. If your room is smaller, you will do better with two-way speakers and possibly a sub. If you liked sound of monitors, look at professional series from Adam, Genelec, JBL Pro. It may solve your problem with amplifier too, as they usually have versions with internal power amplifiers.
ap1 is online now  
post #17 of 30 Old 04-30-2012, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Dr.Hibbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: A suberb of Moskow, Russia.
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

Westlake are near field monitors. Are you sure you do not sit too close to your speakers? You have to be at least 3 meters from them (4 is better) for good sound. If your room is smaller, you will do better with two-way speakers and possibly a sub. If you liked sound of monitors, look at professional series from Adam, Genelec, JBL Pro. It may solve your problem with amplifier too, as they usually have versions with internal power amplifiers.

Thank you for advice. Space between speaker's acoustic axes is about 2,4...2,5 meters; I usually sit about 2,7...3,0 meters and never farther than 3,5 meters from speakers, so you've confirmed one of my hypothesis that in my case bookshelf speakers are rather suitable then floorstanding. Then the following question: what the difference between simply 2-way bookshelf speakers and near field monitors? Professional series present little in our country, and I have to choose generally among home speakers, so if I change floorstanding speakers with more advanced bookshelf ones?
Dr.Hibbert is offline  
post #18 of 30 Old 04-30-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 13,890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Hibbert View Post

Thanks you very much for concern on my trouble, I used not correct world "roughness", I ought to say "crisp HF". HF is crisp sometimes, only on some genres and artists, e.g. on Norah Jones or Skye Edwards's vocals. It appears particularly on women's vocal, but sometimes - on a husky man's vocal, such as Mark Knopfler's. So, as variant, might it be due to the records quality?

Yes what you observe might be due to variations in how your preferences match up with those of the engineers who mastered them. The solution here would be to get a bit of hair of the dog that bit you. Your objections may be due to the spectral balance of the recordings, which was established by the use of equalizers. To reset their spectral balance, the use of tone controls or an equalizer could be the solution.
arnyk is online now  
post #19 of 30 Old 04-30-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Dr.Hibbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: A suberb of Moskow, Russia.
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Yes what you observe might be due to variations in how your preferences match up with those of the engineers who mastered them. The solution here would be to get a bit of hair of the dog that bit you. Your objections may be due to the spectral balance of the recordings, which was established by the use of equalizers. To reset their spectral balance, the use of tone controls or an equalizer could be the solution.

Many thanks. If it's so simple, it's good, because I'm in some financial troubles now because I have to refurbish my new flat. So as I first step I'll make some audyssey (if I understood this word meaning), soften my room and after that listen my stereo: probably, I wouldn't like any change. I can't use tone control because there isn't it in my amp, and I don't much like it.
Once more thanks to all, you already gave me much information for thought.
It's midnight in Moscow now, so I go to bed.
Best regards,
Dmitry.
Dr.Hibbert is offline  
post #20 of 30 Old 05-01-2012, 05:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 13,890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Hibbert View Post

Many thanks. If it's so simple, it's good, because I'm in some financial troubles now because I have to refurbish my new flat. So as I first step I'll make some audyssey (if I understood this word meaning), soften my room and after that listen my stereo: probably, I wouldn't like any change. I can't use tone control because there isn't it in my amp, and I don't much like it.
Once more thanks to all, you already gave me much information for thought.
It's midnight in Moscow now, so I go to bed.
Best regards,
Dmitry.

If your equipment supports Audessy, then exploiting it is probably your best, cheapest, most effective first move.
arnyk is online now  
post #21 of 30 Old 05-01-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,209
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I have the Bryston 3B-SST amplifier with a Audio Research LS-26 preamp in my main system at one house, but that is about $11,000 worth of electronics, though. It definitely gives sound to die for, in any case...lol.

At my other house I have a Musical Fidelity M3i integrated amplifier, and that sounds very very nice. I highly recommend it to you. It will sound much better than what you have now. I think it would be the perfect amplifier for those speakers (and it is less than $2000).

The Rotel is simply not a particularly good-sounding amplifier, and that is your whole problem; get rid of it.

Your speakers have absolutely nothing to do with the problem. They are excellent speakers that will sound wonderful with the M3i amplifier. There is nothing "bright" about those speakers; that idea is nonsense.

Another excellent amplifier is the Music Hall A70.2 amplifier. Creek also makes good-sounding amplifiers.


Audessy is not a substitute for good-quality equipment. It is not going to fix your basic problem, which is the poor sound quality of your amplifier.

Audessy is designed to adjust for any acoustical problems your room may have. It can not do anything about fundamental equipment problems.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Hibbert View Post

Thanks you very much for concern on my trouble, I really was surprised to find so many detailed answers!
I'll try to answer all of you.
I used not correct world "roughness", I ought to say "crisp HF". HF is crisp sometimes, only on some genres and artists, e.g. on Norah Jones or Skye Edwards's vocals. It appears particularly on women's vocal, but sometimes – on a husky man's vocal, such as Mark Knopfler's. So, as variant, might it be due to the records quality?

On the other hand, I'd listened RA1062 with some others acoustic: Dali Ikon6, B&W CM 7 – HF remained a little crisp in varying levels. Even with B&W 805 Rotel gave a bit crisp sound, but 805 sounded smooth enough with Prima Lune tube amp. Reading this forum I've found some people think Paradigm Studio's HF not so smooth, and there's the same opinion about Rotel, so I suppose than in this couple occurs effect's mutual amplification. And because I like studio 60's sound style best of all within this price bracket I don't want to change them and I try to find amp sounded with Paradigms silky in HF like Opera A120, but controlling bass as well as Rotel.
Summarizing, opinion is divided – Buddahead advises try to change amp, Arnold advises not… What to do? It's clear only about room acoustic; I know that bad room might kill perfect sound.

Dmitry.

commsysman is offline  
post #22 of 30 Old 05-01-2012, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Swampfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 3,711
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Hibbert View Post

Many thanks. If it's so simple, it's good, because I'm in some financial troubles now because I have to refurbish my new flat. So as I first step I'll make some audyssey (if I understood this word meaning), soften my room and after that listen my stereo: probably, I wouldn't like any change. I can't use tone control because there isn't it in my amp, and I don't much like it.
Once more thanks to all, you already gave me much information for thought.
It's midnight in Moscow now, so I go to bed.
Best regards,
Dmitry.

I've had Paradigm speakers in the past. They are fine speakers for the price and are not overly bright.
The Rotel amp is adequate. I've had more amps in and out of my system than I can count, including Rotel amps, and as long as solid state amps are appropriate for the speaker load (yours is), you don't hear a difference.

Your problem is the room.
I'm not saying this is you, but I always get a kick when someone post about a "bright" system, and they get posts recommending all kinds of expensive or exotic fixes and no one looks at the room, only to find out the speakers are in a room with large windows, a hard floor, low ceilings, and no floor or window treatments let alone acoustic treatments.
Swampfox is offline  
post #23 of 30 Old 05-01-2012, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Dr.Hibbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: A suberb of Moskow, Russia.
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Because of my insufficient knowledge in English yestarday I didn't understand right what does "audyssey" means; I thought it's a kind of room acoustic preparation No, I'm not going to use audyssey, but refurbishing my flat I'll make some acoustic preparation for getting rid echoes and etc.
commsysman & Swampfox, thank you for advises, I'm going to follow both: first - set right room acoustic, second - try other amp. Because the problem is only partially room, I wrote above about listening to my stereo in 3 different rooms, and HF characteristic feature was the same even in overdamped room. Repeat, not bright but a little harsh HF. As I told, I listened to my speakers with some others amp, and, to be honest, I really like my speakers, but just my amp seems to me a little strident.
Especial thank to commsysman for good Musical Fidelity M3i review. As I wrote above, I had listened another (forgot model), more expensive model; so I've started to look closely M3i, all the more so I've already read some good comments on it ant it is quiet within my budget.
Dr.Hibbert is offline  
post #24 of 30 Old 05-01-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beaveav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I have the Bryston 3B-SST amplifier with a Audio Research LS-26 preamp in my main system at one house, but that is about $11,000 worth of electronics, though. It definitely gives sound to die for, in any case...lol.

At my other house I have a Musical Fidelity M3i integrated amplifier, and that sounds very very nice. I highly recommend it to you. It will sound much better than what you have now. I think it would be the perfect amplifier for those speakers (and it is less than $2000).

The Rotel is simply not a particularly good-sounding amplifier, and that is your whole problem; get rid of it.

Your speakers have absolutely nothing to do with the problem. They are excellent speakers that will sound wonderful with the M3i amplifier. There is nothing "bright" about those speakers; that idea is nonsense.

Another excellent amplifier is the Music Hall A70.2 amplifier. Creek also makes good-sounding amplifiers.


Audessy is not a substitute for good-quality equipment. It is not going to fix your basic problem, which is the poor sound quality of your amplifier.

Audessy is designed to adjust for any acoustical problems your room may have. It can not do anything about fundamental equipment problems.

Absolute rubbish. The Rotel amp is fine, unless it is damaged in some way.

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
beaveav is offline  
post #25 of 30 Old 05-01-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 13,890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I have the Bryston 3B-SST amplifier with a Audio Research LS-26 preamp in my main system at one house, but that is about $11,000 worth of electronics, though. It definitely gives sound to die for, in any case...lol.

A very old-school approach - the idea that every component sounds different and that spending the big bucks is a prerequisite for the best possible sound.

Run a DBT between a 3B-SST and the power amps in a $75 receiver and the likely results are a very frustrated listening.

Quote:
At my other house I have a Musical Fidelity M3i integrated amplifier, and that sounds very very nice. I highly recommend it to you. It will sound much better than what you have now.

They hype may make uninformed people believe that, but really now folks:

From their web site:

"The M3i integrated amplifier has low distortion, typically less than 0.02% from 20Hz to 20kHz. Most amp manufacturers do not bother to measure high frequency performance. They claim that because you cannot hear such high frequencies, the distortion and other artefacts are irrelevant. We could not disagree more strongly. "

I'll take their word for their claim that their integrated amp has less than 0.02% THD 20-20k, because that is not really an exceptional claim or exceptional performance. What follows after that is IME sheerist BS:

"Most amp manufacturers do not bother to measure high frequency performance. They claim that because you cannot hear such high frequencies, the distortion and other artefacts are irrelevant. We could not disagree more strongly. "

In fact just about every halfways decent amp manufacturer measures high frequency performance. Even $75 100 wpc receivers often measure this good. If they are rated at 0.05% THD or 0.1 THD at full output, backing power off 10% will bring the distortion right down into the 0.01% range.

I would decline to purchase audio gear from a manufacturer that maligns his competition by making self-serving false claims like these, as a matter of principle.

Quote:
Your speakers have absolutely nothing to do with the problem.

Agreed.

Quote:
They are excellent speakers that will sound wonderful with the M3i amplifier.

They will sound wonderful with a wide selection of good amplifiers.

Quote:
There is nothing "bright" about those speakers; that idea is nonsense.

Any speaker can sound bright with a bright sounding recording or in a bright sounding room.

Quote:
Audessy is not a substitute for good-quality equipment. It is not going to fix your basic problem, which is the poor sound quality of your amplifier.

Again we see a very old-school total ignorance of the strong effect that recordings and room acoustics have on system sound.

Audessy isn't a fix, its an adaptation of your equipments' tone to the rest of your listening environment. By bringing your system's sound closer to a over-all proper balance, recordings that may be a recorded with turned-up high frequencies will be easier to enjoy.

Quote:
Audessy is designed to adjust for any acoustical problems your room may have.

And what listening room, particularly one that has not been carefully designed for good performance doesn't have some acoustical problems. Not adapting your equipment to its acoustical environment is like pretending that the acoustical environment is already perfect.

Fact is that even rooms with highly tuned acoustics are often improved by minor adjustments of the frequency response of the electronics, such as is done automatically using Audessy.


Quote:
It can not do anything about fundamental equipment problems.

The presumption that electronics that don't have megabuck price tags necessarily has audible problems is just that - a presumption. With the dramatic improvement of audio electronics price performance, this presumption is very old school and not backed up by the relevent facts.
arnyk is online now  
post #26 of 30 Old 05-02-2012, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Dr.Hibbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: A suberb of Moskow, Russia.
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hmmm, you make me more think and listen to... I listened to some different records yesterday and I was generally glad how my system sounded, except rare very little inaccuracy. It seems to me, those of you who think than that little problems are not owing to system itself are right. I've agreed that little harsh HF is mostly due to record's qualities (they are not noticeable on every record) and not acoustic-prepared room. I'm 32 but I'm an old-school 'diophile too, so I think the less elements from record to speakers the better, and I don't have excess money, working as an engineer, so I wouldn't like to buy some equipments such as Audessy. First step I'll make normal acoustic preparation of my room and vary speaker's position.
I know than amps exchange involves small sound changes, but if I have time, money, etc I'll try some other amps to satisfy my interest.
I think that only much more costing equipments can give noticeable sound quality changing, but think such an expense unacceptable for me.
Thanks to all,
Dmitry.
Dr.Hibbert is offline  
post #27 of 30 Old 05-03-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,209
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
For your information:

Audessy is a software program that is supplied as an integral feature of many Home Theater receivers from Denon, Onkyo, and other manufacturers.

It uses a series of test tones and a calibrated microphone to analyze the room characteristics and make some adjustments to the signals fed to each speaker in order to make the sound more linear relative to the room acoustics.

Yamaha uses their own similar one called YPAQ and other manufacturers also have their own proprietary systems, but they all use similar techniques to make corrections to attempt to improve the system performance relative to the room acoustics.








Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Hibbert View Post

Hmmm, you make me more think and listen to... I listened to some different records yesterday and I was generally glad how my system sounded, except rare very little inaccuracy. It seems to me, those of you who think than that little problems are not owing to system itself are right. I've agreed that little harsh HF is mostly due to record's qualities (they are not noticeable on every record) and not acoustic-prepared room. I'm 32 but I'm an old-school 'diophile too, so I think the less elements from record to speakers the better, and I don't have excess money, working as an engineer, so I wouldn't like to buy some equipments such as Audessy. First step I'll make normal acoustic preparation of my room and vary speaker's position.
I know than amps exchange involves small sound changes, but if I have time, money, etc I'll try some other amps to satisfy my interest.
I think that only much more costing equipments can give noticeable sound quality changing, but think such an expense unacceptable for me.
Thanks to all,
Dmitry.

commsysman is offline  
post #28 of 30 Old 05-03-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Dr.Hibbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: A suberb of Moskow, Russia.
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

For your information:

Audessy is a software program that is supplied as an integral feature of many Home Theater receivers from Denon, Onkyo, and other manufacturers.

I have no Home Theatre receiver; I have only stereo equipments and have no need, no resources and no place for HT yet. My amp is rather old-school device with only balance control and stepped tone correction, so I can use no software in it.
However, thank you for info; if I ever have Home Theater, I'll probably use it.
Dr.Hibbert is offline  
post #29 of 30 Old 05-03-2012, 10:40 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member
 
ap1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Hibbert View Post

I have no Home Theatre receiver; I have only stereo equipments and have no need, no resources and no place for HT yet. My amp is rather old-school device with only balance control and stepped tone correction, so I can use no software in it.
However, thank you for info; if I ever have Home Theater, I'll probably use it.

You still can get stereo receiver with room correction - HK990. I do not know if it is officially sold in Russia, but you probably can import it from EU countries (UK?).
ap1 is online now  
post #30 of 30 Old 05-05-2012, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Dr.Hibbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: A suberb of Moskow, Russia.
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

You still can get stereo receiver with room correction - HK990. I do not know if it is officially sold in Russia, but you probably can import it from EU countries (UK?).

Thanks, it's sold here, I've already found it, it's oficially priced here about $2300. I bear it in mind.
Dr.Hibbert is offline  
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off