External Sound for Panasonic TC-L37E5 TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-07-2012, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to set up stereo audio to complement my new TV. I recently moved to an apartment and bought a small HDTV for the living room. This panny TC-L37E5 has marginal speakers built in so I want to give it some more range. I'm using a pair of old Wharfdale 70s as a tv stand and would like to drive them with a simple stereo amp. Problem is the tv only has optical audio out, PCM/Dolby Digital depending on the input. Right now I have the tv hooked up to the internet and rabbit ears for OTA TV and Netflix instant movies. I'll probably add a BluRay player soon.

Since it's an apartment, a good home theater sound system is out of the question. Headphones or the Wharfdales at a low volume are about it. So far the best I can see is an old stereo amp from Craigslist along with a toslink to RCA decoder. It appears a simple convertor won't cut it with this particular tv.

Is this the way to go for what I'm trying to do? Should I be looking for a used AV receiver that has optical in and stereo out? I'm concerned with the decoding and conversion when the tv puts out Dolby Digital. And what will happen when the BluRay player can send 9.1 4D Surround? Will the tv convert it to conventional Dolby Digital?

-RC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-08-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Wow; Wharfdale Model 70s! I bought a set of those in 1968 to use with my Harmon-Kardon A500 tube integrated amp. That's going back some. The big walnut cabinets are nice.

The only thing that sounds practical to me is to get an HT receiver and feed the optical audio out to it and use it to drive the Wharfdales. I suggest the Denon AVR-1612, which you can get for $225 on Amazon. It will do what you want, and will make it simple to go to a 5.1 system anytime in the future, if that becomes an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobtuber View Post

I'm looking to set up stereo audio to complement my new TV. I recently moved to an apartment and bought a small HDTV for the living room. This panny TC-L37E5 has marginal speakers built in so I want to give it some more range. I'm using a pair of old Wharfdale 70s as a tv stand and would like to drive them with a simple stereo amp. Problem is the tv only has optical audio out, PCM/Dolby Digital depending on the input. Right now I have the tv hooked up to the internet and rabbit ears for OTA TV and Netflix instant movies. I'll probably add a BluRay player soon.

Since it's an apartment, a good home theater sound system is out of the question. Headphones or the Wharfdales at a low volume are about it. So far the best I can see is an old stereo amp from Craigslist along with a toslink to RCA decoder. It appears a simple convertor won't cut it with this particular tv.

Is this the way to go for what I'm trying to do? Should I be looking for a used AV receiver that has optical in and stereo out? I'm concerned with the decoding and conversion when the tv puts out Dolby Digital. And what will happen when the BluRay player can send 9.1 4D Surround? Will the tv convert it to conventional Dolby Digital?

-RC

post #3 of 6 Old 05-09-2012, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Denon looks like it will fit the bill. First I need to have a look at the Wharfedales. My son pointed out the tweeters crackle. My hearing is no longer in that range unfortunately.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-14-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Oak Tree Enterprises says they have replacement tweeters for the W70, but I would try replacing the capacitors in series with the tweeters first; that might fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobtuber View Post

The Denon looks like it will fit the bill. First I need to have a look at the Wharfedales. My son pointed out the tweeters crackle. My hearing is no longer in that range unfortunately.

post #5 of 6 Old 06-18-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Get a Yamaha sound bar.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-18-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobtuber View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Gefen-GTV-DD-2-AA-Digital-Audio-Decoder/dp/B0021QBIBQ/ref=pd_sim_e_5

This DAC will convert DD or PCM optical digital to L/R analog stereo. About eighty bucks.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc L37e5 37 Inch 1080p Full Hd Ips Led Lcd Tv
Gear in this thread - L37e5 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page