Shure SE530 Custom Ear Mold - First Impressions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-12-2012, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Not an audiophile but wanted to share my experience.

Just had full custom ear molds created at Widex in Hk, for about usd 75. I was originally using the soft single flange tips, with a pretty good fit. First impressions of the cutom molds are not favorable. Although the bass is definitely deeper, I find the bass to be disjointed from the mid and highs. Bass also lacks the subtleties and warmth of before sounding thud-like. Overall, the vocals transformed from warm and immediate to studio like... Bit too clinical for my taste. Maybe it's the fit of the customs or the harder material, but I feel there is less resonance. Bass tends to be more pronounced and overwhelming in an unbalanced fashion. Going back to the soft tips, immediately noticed how musical and well balanced the range of sounds are, and prepared to give up a bit of bass for that overall magical feel.

Anyone else have experience on customs? Thinking of maybe cutting the molds to make them into tips only, not full custom molds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 05:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by avswilier View Post

Not an audiophile but wanted to share my experience.

Just had full custom ear molds created at Widex in Hk, for about usd 75. I was originally using the soft single flange tips, with a pretty good fit. First impressions of the cutom molds are not favorable. Although the bass is definitely deeper, I find the bass to be disjointed from the mid and highs. Bass also lacks the subtleties and warmth of before sounding thud-like. Overall, the vocals transformed from warm and immediate to studio like... Bit too clinical for my taste. Maybe it's the fit of the customs or the harder material, but I feel there is less resonance. Bass tends to be more pronounced and overwhelming in an unbalanced fashion. Going back to the soft tips, immediately noticed how musical and well balanced the range of sounds are, and prepared to give up a bit of bass for that overall magical feel.

Anyone else have experience on customs? Thinking of maybe cutting the molds to make them into tips only, not full custom molds.

I'm under the impression that custom molds can be made with materials that are harder or softer.

http://www.microsonic-inc.com/index2.php?section=48

Old 05-14-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
My Shure E4C came with multiple sizes and types of sleeves. Are these custom ear molds significantly different (not that I'm interested, just curious).

Old 05-14-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

My Shure E4C came with multiple sizes and types of sleeves. Are these custom ear molds significantly different (not that I'm interested, just curious).

Yes, they are different from each other. I don't think that any of the Shure sleeves are as hard as say, plain acrylic. The equivalent of what Shure provides as foam is probably more flexible than any of the plastics that molds are made from. From the OP's description, his earmold was made out of acrylic.

Earmolds made for hearing aids are likely to be harder, for greater durability. Bass sealing is probably not much of an issue.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 32
First off, I hope u frequent headfi.org, there's an entire site dedicated to earphones.

Custom ear molds were in the realm of high-end, say bye-bye to usd$1,000 to get it done, and then of course the Asians (master copiers) said, hey we can do that with much less! But my guess is, the Asians skip that step where a true audiophile$ vendor would test which materials are appropriate sonically as well as for durability.

Once again, we are talking about a Ferrari vs a souped-up Honda. At $1/4, the Asians are not magicians.