peachtree nova main outs dead - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-13-2012, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey folks, I tried searching for this problem and came up empty, but im new here so bear with me! Also the nova thread is too long to be useful but if im supposed to post there then by all means I can do that.

Okay. New problem, happened while unit was off I believe. Always plugged into surge protector. Amp turns on, front panel works fine, HEADPHONES WORK fine, main outs completely silent. all inputs affected, tube toggled on and off has no effect. Tried multiple speakers. all 4 internal fuses that I could find are intact. What do I try next? got a multimeter and soldering gear. Not under warranty, just barely.

Thanks for the help, this has been really frustrating!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-13-2012, 02:45 PM

Liked: 34
..You say, "Not under warranty. ...just barely". In that case, I'd call Peachtree promptly and request a return authorization so they can check it out. ..My guess is they'll fix it under warranty so long as there is no evidence of any sort of misuse. ..I would NOT open it up and start checking things with a volt meter (let alone heat up the soldering iron - yikes!). ..Any evidence that you've attempted to repair it yourself will undoubtedly preclude any free-of-charge repair.

Peachtree is a great fledgling brand that offers innovative products and is working hard to gain marketshare with music-server oriented audiophiles. However, they've been criticized here and elsewhere for their rather unimpressive 1 year warranty. ..Plus, since their products are aimed squarely at the computer user - and therefore internet-savvy - they risk dinging their all-important online reputation by charging people to repair problems that arise shortly after the warranty expires. ..Not to put too fine a point on it, but be gracious, polite, and let them know (without threatening) that you frequent on-line forums where their products are discussed and fans share their experiences. ..I would do this even if you bought it used. ..The warranty is transferable (if memory serves me..). I like their products, but a one-year warranty, IMHO, sucks and is certainly not the norm in this price segment.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-13-2012, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

thanks. i suppose i'll just give em a call. i'm all about DIY, but i suppose a free repair is a free repair. let me know if anybody has any quick fix ideas besides fuses. it sure is pretty inside.
post #4 of 8 Old 05-14-2012, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I hope that Peach Tree helps you out wclifton1. goodluck.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-14-2012, 08:48 AM

I've found them to be very responsive to customers. Even the post-warranty repair quotes are reasonable.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-15-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I had the same problem, but before losing my output channels, I had this hum. No matter what, I had to use a cheater plug to get rid of it. After about two weeks, I lost the output section. The unit worked fine for a year before the hum. My unit was still under warranty and peachtrees customer service was stellar. They even stated that if my warranty was to expire, they would still repair it for a very small fee. I just recently sold the peachtree and it's still holding up fine. So give them a call.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-15-2012, 01:30 PM

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post

They even stated that if my warranty was to expire, they would still repair it for a very small fee. I just recently sold the peachtree and it's still holding up fine. So give them a call.

Assuming the amp is in otherwise pristine condition, I'd be put off by ANY charge for this repair, even as late as six months after the warranty expiring. Ask yourself, "is it reasonable that a high-end audiophile amplifier should fail after just one year of use?" ..The answer, of course, is "no, it shouldn't".

Keep in mind that the Peachtree warranty is one-half to one-third that of competitors products. I realize that they aren't legally obligated to repair this free-of-charge, but if they want to maintain a positive on-line reputation with the internet-savvy crowd they aim their products at, they should do so...

Again.. IHMO, Peachtree products are beautiful looking, well built, and perform great... But a 1-year warranty simply doesn't cut it in my book.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-15-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd123 View Post

Assuming the amp is in otherwise pristine condition, I'd be put off by ANY charge for this repair, even as late as six months after the warranty expiring. Ask yourself, "is it reasonable that a high-end audiophile amplifier should fail after just one year of use?" ..The answer, of course, is "no, it shouldn't".

Keep in mind that the Peachtree warranty is one-half to one-third that of competitors products. I realize that they aren't legally obligated to repair this free-of-charge, but if they want to maintain a positive on-line reputation with the internet-savvy crowd they aim their products at, they should do so...

Again.. IHMO, Peachtree products are beautiful looking, well built, and perform great... But a 1-year warranty simply doesn't cut it in my book.

I agree, for me it served its purpose well but I was a bit turned off by its failure within its warranty period. At $1300, it shouldn't have any issues as it isn't a processor or a hdmi switcher. Since I no longer stream my music direct from a dac to the receiver, I sold it to a friend. My dacs on my Yamaha 3010 sound just fine.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page