Absurd loudness? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 05-14-2012, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
saywhut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it just me, or have producers gone completely insane when it comes to mastering songs? I mean, this stuff doesn't even look like music.



What reason could you possibly have for clipping the life out of every word and every beat in a song? I can't even listen to it.
saywhut is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 05-15-2012, 03:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 13,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by saywhut View Post

Is it just me, or have producers gone completely insane when it comes to mastering songs? I mean, this stuff doesn't even look like music.

What reason could you possibly have for clipping the life out of every word and every beat in a song? I can't even listen to it.

I presume that you bought the track, right? You didn't post this from a bootleg, right?

As far as the producer goes, that's all that matters. He's got your money!
arnyk is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 05-15-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Knucklehead90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: State of Confusion - 98823
Posts: 7,319
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Yup - succumbing to the 'louder is better' school of thought.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Knucklehead90 is offline  
post #4 of 16 Old 05-15-2012, 10:30 AM
Senior Member
 
Tweaked05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Looks to me like someone doesn't know how to properly set/use a Compressor/Limiter.
Tweaked05 is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 05-15-2012, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
saywhut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would have thought somebody with 14 grammys would at least know how to produce a record but I guess I'd be wrong.

It isn't a bootleg, but I didn't buy it either. I always listen to albums before I buy them, so I got this from a friend who had it. I definitely decided against forking over any cash for such a trash production. It just hurts my ears.
saywhut is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 05-15-2012, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Knucklehead90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: State of Confusion - 98823
Posts: 7,319
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by saywhut View Post

I would have thought somebody with 14 grammys would at least know how to produce a record but I guess I'd be wrong.

We do have a president with a Pulitzer Peace Prize...

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Knucklehead90 is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 05-15-2012, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
JD in NJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

We do have a president with a Pulitzer Peace Prize...

There's a Pulitzer peace prize now?

JD in NJ is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 05-15-2012, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CharlesJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD in NJ View Post

There's a Pulitzer peace prize now?

Why not?
Is that higher than a Nobel?
CharlesJ is online now  
post #9 of 16 Old 05-15-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
postrokfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ft. Collins, CO
Posts: 2,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Apparently he's a brilliant writer as well as a philanthropist. Sorry Knucklehead, we knew what you meant....

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
postrokfan is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 05-16-2012, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jdcrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 1,963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

We do have a president with a Pulitzer Peace Prize...

Did he get it the same place he got his Birth Certificate?
jdcrox is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 05-16-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Venomous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Huntington Beach/San Diego CA
Posts: 1,198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrox View Post

Did he get it the same place he got his Birth Certificate?

Yeah an eBay auction, lol.

A lot of music is coming out with loudness fully engaged. It's almost their claiming the music is hirez now because of how loud it's recorded. Perhaps record companies will figure it out in 10 years...
Venomous is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 05-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Senior Member
 
paligap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

We do have a president with a Pulitzer Peace Prize...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrox View Post

Did he get it the same place he got his Birth Certificate?

Yuk, yuk. He got it the same place as bogus Churchill quotations and conspiracy theories: the Internet.
paligap is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 05-21-2012, 10:49 AM
 
matteos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Was about to start a similar kind of thread. This weekend I've finally built my perfect stereo system, an HTPC with all my music ripped to Flac, a 155W Per channel amp and two full range tower speakers....

Stuck in all my modern music (radiohead, Mumford & Sons etc) and it sounded slightly better, played old recordings like Dave Brubeck, The Doors, Grateful dead etc and the difference blew me away, Dave Brubeck especially sounded stunning, like it was a live concert.

I never realised before how music is being made for cheap speakers and ****** setups (because I had a ****** setup before) But the dynamic range isn't there. Don't know what to do though other than buy older recordings, listening to anything in the last 15 years I may as well just listen to it on computer speakers.
matteos is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 05-21-2012, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Knucklehead90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: State of Confusion - 98823
Posts: 7,319
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post

Apparently he's a brilliant writer as well as a philanthropist. Sorry Knucklehead, we knew what you meant....

Yeah - got that one wrong. Nobel Peace Prize was the right answer.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Knucklehead90 is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 05-21-2012, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Knucklehead90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: State of Confusion - 98823
Posts: 7,319
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteos View Post

Was about to start a similar kind of thread. This weekend I've finally built my perfect stereo system, an HTPC with all my music ripped to Flac, a 155W Per channel amp and two full range tower speakers....

Stuck in all my modern music (radiohead, Mumford & Sons etc) and it sounded slightly better, played old recordings like Dave Brubeck, The Doors, Grateful dead etc and the difference blew me away, Dave Brubeck especially sounded stunning, like it was a live concert.

I never realised before how music is being made for cheap speakers and ****** setups (because I had a ****** setup before) But the dynamic range isn't there. Don't know what to do though other than buy older recordings, listening to anything in the last 15 years I may as well just listen to it on computer speakers.

Try this thread. Lots of well recorded albums.

Try this thread too.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Knucklehead90 is offline  
post #16 of 16 Old 05-22-2012, 09:25 AM
 
matteos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
nice, thanks
matteos is offline  
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off