Movies with stereo amp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-20-2012, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
spawnofwar1600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi
Im currently in a dilema
I having the money for either mid priced integrated amp or an entry level avr .
Main concern is high quality music playback but would be watching blurays too , with the same set up.
Now my question is
Would there be any differnce in the lfe channel , when your using a 2.1 setup with an avr compared to 2.1 setup with an integrated ?
spawnofwar1600 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 05-20-2012, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
glangford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofwar1600 View Post

Hi
Im currently in a dilema
I having the money for either mid priced integrated amp or an entry level avr .
Main concern is high quality music playback but would be watching blurays too , with the same set up.
Now my question is
Would there be any differnce in the lfe channel , when your using a 2.1 setup with an avr compared to 2.1 setup with an integrated ?

I think you have the cost backward. AVRs have the advantage of economy of scale, they sell many more of them. You can probably get a mid level AVR or an entry level integrated amp.

If you are into subs, I'd be inclined to get an avr. Much easier to properly blend in the subs to you mains with audyssey room correction from an avr. For example denon's new line is coming out so last years is available at a discount most places. I found the 2312ci for 300 off at electronics expo on line. It is the lowest unit with multieq XT. You could probably get even a little more off by calling and speaking to customer service. I'm sure there are other brands doing the same right now, with new 2012 models coming out.

Integrated amps, however, do not have the yearly changing in models and as far as I can tell never seem to be discounted. In todays world they are more of a niche market.
glangford is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 05-20-2012, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
spawnofwar1600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post


I think you have the cost backward. AVRs have the advantage of economy of scale, they sell many more of them. You can probably get a mid level AVR or an entry level integrated amp.

If you are into subs, I'd be inclined to get an avr. Much easier to properly blend in the subs to you mains with audyssey room correction from an avr. For example denon's new line is coming out so last years is available at a discount most places. I found the 2312ci for 300 off at electronics expo on line. It is the lowest unit with multieq XT. You could probably get even a little more off by calling and speaking to customer service. I'm sure there are other brands doing the same right now, with new 2012 models coming out.

Integrated amps, however, do not have the yearly changing in models and as far as I can tell never seem to be discounted. In todays world they are more of a niche market.

Hi
I guess i had myself confused , what i forgot to mention is i was deciding between the nad 375bee (150 watts) or nad t757 avr (60 watts per channel)
I would be driving my pmc db1+ which have a sensetivty of 87 db , my room is fairly large about 18 by 20 feet , so i need alot of power for good sound quality.
Either i could bi amp them to the avr ,60 watts to hf and lf terminals each or i could use the nad 375bee in biwire configuration.
If i use the nad 375bee stereo will be able to adjust the crossover level in the active sub , if its connected through the pre outs?
And would the lfe in movies be effected in any way , if use 2 channel analouge outputs compared to hdmi or optical in the avr?
spawnofwar1600 is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 05-20-2012, 07:33 PM
Member
 
rwe416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post


I think you have the cost backward. AVRs have the advantage of economy of scale, they sell many more of them. You can probably get a mid level AVR or an entry level integrated amp.

If you are into subs, I'd be inclined to get an avr. Much easier to properly blend in the subs to you mains with audyssey room correction from an avr. For example denon's new line is coming out so last years is available at a discount most places. I found the 2312ci for 300 off at electronics expo on line. It is the lowest unit with multieq XT. You could probably get even a little more off by calling and speaking to customer service. I'm sure there are other brands doing the same right now, with new 2012 models coming out.

Integrated amps, however, do not have the yearly changing in models and as far as I can tell never seem to be discounted. In todays world they are more of a niche market.

FYI the 1712 is the lowest one with multieq xt. It is also ALOT cheaper than the 2312. The 2112ci can be had at a great price right now. The xx13 models are out and the xx12 are being sold at really good prices.
rwe416 is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 05-21-2012, 03:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
glangford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofwar1600 View Post

Hi
I guess i had myself confused , what i forgot to mention is i was deciding between the nad 375bee (150 watts) or nad t757 avr (60 watts per channel)
I would be driving my pmc db1+ which have a sensetivty of 87 db , my room is fairly large about 18 by 20 feet , so i need alot of power for good sound quality.
Either i could bi amp them to the avr ,60 watts to hf and lf terminals each or i could use the nad 375bee in biwire configuration.
If i use the nad 375bee stereo will be able to adjust the crossover level in the active sub , if its connected through the pre outs?
And would the lfe in movies be effected in any way , if use 2 channel analouge outputs compared to hdmi or optical in the avr?

NADs tend to be pricey for an AVR. They are good, but you can probably get better value. It depends on how you are going to calibrate the sub. Audyssey would be the simpliest way, hence the AVR. You can probably get more value from an AVR like denon, onkyo, yamaha (with an audyssey like feature), etc.
glangford is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 05-22-2012, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
spawnofwar1600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post


NADs tend to be pricey for an AVR. They are good, but you can probably get better value. It depends on how you are going to calibrate the sub. Audyssey would be the simpliest way, hence the AVR. You can probably get more value from an AVR like denon, onkyo, yamaha (with an audyssey like feature), etc.

I already own a denon 791, sound quality is awful , i want something warmer now hence the nad.
bumblebeesticker likes this.
spawnofwar1600 is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 05-22-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
glangford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I looked up your speakers. I understand now.

The avr will probably do close to 110. The 60 wpc is full disclosure at 7 channels driven. In a 2.0 setup its probably closer to the 110. Its up to you if you want audyssey or more power with the integrated at 150 wpc.

I have to wonder why you chose the 3d capable avr. Is 3D a requirement for your avr? if not the NAD t765 is 140 wpc in stereo (80x7 all channels) and may be cheaper.
glangford is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 05-22-2012, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
qguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 934
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Not sure if this was mentioned, In 2 Channel, There is no "2.1" only 2.0, the ".1" was just added to denote that you are using a subwoofer.
qguy is online now  
post #9 of 10 Old 05-22-2012, 05:05 PM
 
matteos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
IMO a high quality 2.0 setup is better than a low quality 5.1, especially if your focus is on music, if you have a decent amp and decent tower speakers that are capable of good bass extension you really won't miss the two back speakers that essentially are the only advantage of 5.1 over full 2.0 for movies. Plus you will be able to get better speakers and better amplification if you keep it to stereo.
matteos is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 05-23-2012, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
glangford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofwar1600 View Post

I already own a denon 791, sound quality is awful , i want something warmer now hence the nad.

Did you run audyssey with the 791? If not I'd suggest doing that before you do anything. Use audyssey flat (music), , , offset -5 or -10, dynamic eq on, and dynamic vol off.
glangford is offline  
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off