2.1 Amp & Sub for M&K SS-150 MK II's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-21-2012, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Gang -

I'm a newbie to the world of 2-channel audio and I could really use some advice. I've got some gently-used M&K SS-150 MK II's that have been sitting in the back of my closet for the last 8 years. These are 4 ohm Tripole speakers that were designed to be used as surrounds in a 5.1 system. And yes, they're original USA-made Miller & Kreisels.

The other day I pulled them out, plugged them into my Denon 4308, and they still sound fantastic So I was thinking that I'd like to build a good 2.1 channel system in my home office around these M&K's. But since I'm a newbie to 2-channel audio I figured I'd better get some advice on a matching Amp & Sub. Here's my criteria:

* My home office is roughly 12' x 13', with a 10' ceiling
* I don't want/need surround for this room (just clean 2.1)
* I'll be streaming very high bitrate AAC's & FLACs from my iMac (so I'd like a great DAC)
* I mainly listen to Classic Rock, 80's, and some modern Pop
* My ears were recently opened to the joys of 24/96 vinyl rips (I may start listening to more of these in the future)
* I'd like the Amp to be no larger than a Peachtree if possible
* I'd like the Sub to be no larger than 1.5' square
* I'm thinking a budget of $1000 (but I could go higher for something really great)

Speaking of Peachtree, that's the only Amp I've auditioned so far. It sounded great, but was kinda pricey. So what do you guys think? Many thanks in advance

- phil

The Learned Lurker
I've been here since 2001. You just didn't know it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-22-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Those are very nice speakers; I don't think your $1000 budget will get you the quality you want. The Rega Brio R is a great compact amplifier that might be a good bet. It is $900.

There are all kinds of DACS for all kinds of prices available; it just depends on the specific capabilities you want, which you really haven't spelled out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLearnedLurker View Post

Hi Gang -

I'm a newbie to the world of 2-channel audio and I could really use some advice. I've got some gently-used M&K SS-150 MK II's that have been sitting in the back of my closet for the last 8 years. These are 4 ohm Tripole speakers that were designed to be used as surrounds in a 5.1 system. And yes, they're original USA-made Miller & Kreisels.

The other day I pulled them out, plugged them into my Denon 4308, and they still sound fantastic So I was thinking that I'd like to build a good 2.1 channel system in my home office around these M&K's. But since I'm a newbie to 2-channel audio I figured I'd better get some advice on a matching Amp & Sub. Here's my criteria:

* My home office is roughly 12' x 13', with a 10' ceiling
* I don't want/need surround for this room (just clean 2.1)
* I'll be streaming very high bitrate AAC's & FLACs from my iMac (so I'd like a great DAC)
* I mainly listen to Classic Rock, 80's, and some modern Pop
* My ears were recently opened to the joys of 24/96 vinyl rips (I may start listening to more of these in the future)
* I'd like the Amp to be no larger than a Peachtree if possible
* I'd like the Sub to be no larger than 1.5' square
* I'm thinking a budget of $1000 (but I could go higher for something really great)

Speaking of Peachtree, that's the only Amp I've auditioned so far. It sounded great, but was kinda pricey. So what do you guys think? Many thanks in advance

- phil

post #3 of 5 Old 05-22-2012, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply commsysman!

Regarding the DAC, I realize that I wasn't clear in my original post (sorry!). I'm looking for an Amp with an integrated DAC (eg, the Peachtree Nova) along with a good Sub to match my M&Ks. The upcoming Peachtree Decco65 is probably about my limit for the Amp; the Teac AH01 (which has very few reviews) is more the range I was hoping to stay in.

I'm trying to keep the total cost of Amp + Sub to around $1000, but after reading up more in the forum I suspect I'll probably have to go higher for the quality I'm looking for

- phil

The Learned Lurker
post #4 of 5 Old 06-11-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I would recommend the NHT B12D subwoofer or the Rythmic FV-12. Those are probably the two best subs I know of for around $500-600, and if you spend much less the quality isn't going to be there.

I think that a separate amplifier and DAC would have a lot of advantages. You are going to have a hard time finding the amplifier you want with a built-in DAC, although there are a few around now. That really does limit your choices too much IMO.

The Teac is not really going to give you satisfactory performance with those speakers IMO.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-14-2012, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again -- I'll definitely check out your sub recommendations:)

- phil

The Learned Lurker
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page