Building my first 2.0/2.1 system and need help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-27-2012, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

This is my first crack at putting together a 2.0/2.1 speaker system. I am a complete newb when it comes to this so any advice will be greatly appreciated!

I was originally planning on purchasing a Bose Cinemate II system but after reading unfavorable reviews on this site, I've decided I'd be better off building my own system. I will be using it mostly for tv/movie watching as well as playing music. I want to spend somewhere between 600-800. The only HD sources will be a cable box and panasonic 3d blu ray (possibly an xbox360 down the road).

I would like to have the airplay feature so that i can stream music from my computer or iphone. I figured the Denon AVR-1613 would be a good start. I just have no idea what type of speakers and sub I should pair with this. I like my music and movies loud with good bass. Any suggestions? Is the Denon a good start or am I going in the wrong direction?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Denon is a fine starting point, I have the 3311ci with airplay and like the feature alot. You might can find a 12 model like 2112 discounted pretty heavily since it is last years model. It will have audyssey multieq XT and airplay. Amazon shows 488. Electronics expo shows the 2312 for 600, with free shipping and usually calling customer service will get you an additional 20-30 percent off. They had last years 1612, albiet no airplay for 200 bucks prior to any customer service rep discount. But shop around. I'd try a couple of denon factory authorized refurb sellers. You might find something real good there. assessoriesforless. Check denon's website for factory authorized refurb sellers

Your budget needs to be around the 800 mark and probably bookshelves. I'd forgo the sub for now and get the best bookshelves you can and spend as little as posssible on reciever. Add the sub later when more funds allow. Trying all three for 800 bucks will result in some serious audio quality compromises.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What bookshelves do you recommend?
Old 05-27-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Some folks like the energy. I've read good things about them on this forum. I prefer Paradigm. The new Mini monitor ($558) and atom monitor ($398) get good reviews for SQ. Expect 20% discount from an authorized dealer. (No online dealers). I'd go Mini (larger).

I have to admit I'm partial to Paradigm having a pair of studio 10s (1000/pr). But the new Mini and atom monitor v7 benefit from trickle down technology from the studio line and its drivers.

You might research some internet direct companies Aperion audio has bookshelfs similarly priced to Mini Monitor. I'd also be tempted to stretch the budget and consider the Sierra-1 reference monitor (748 in natural or piano black) for 748.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Is the 600-800 budget for the whole system or just speakers? I've listed some budget bookshelf options below.

Infinity Primus 162 ($280 on Amazon)
Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE ($348)
Pioneer BS41s ($145)
Cambridge S30 ($219)
Energy RC-10 ($280)

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
Old 05-28-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 258
You can get the KEF iQ30 speakers for only $399 right now (were $599) at KEF Direct. They are some really outstanding speakers for that price.

The Denon 1613 is probably a good choice.

The cheapest decent subwoofer I know of is the Rythmic FV12 for $549, so you may want to save up for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmcwilder View Post

Hi everyone,

This is my first crack at putting together a 2.0/2.1 speaker system. I am a complete newb when it comes to this so any advice will be greatly appreciated!

I was originally planning on purchasing a Bose Cinemate II system but after reading unfavorable reviews on this site, I've decided I'd be better off building my own system. I will be using it mostly for tv/movie watching as well as playing music. I want to spend somewhere between 600-800. The only HD sources will be a cable box and panasonic 3d blu ray (possibly an xbox360 down the road).

I would like to have the airplay feature so that i can stream music from my computer or iphone. I figured the Denon AVR-1613 would be a good start. I just have no idea what type of speakers and sub I should pair with this. I like my music and movies loud with good bass. Any suggestions? Is the Denon a good start or am I going in the wrong direction?

Old 05-28-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

the cheapest decent subwoofer i know of is the rythmic fv12 for $549, so you may want to save up for that.

+1