HK990 Alternative? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-31-2012, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm very interested in the HK990 but its looking like the RS232 port is not active for control, which I need. Anyone have a suggestion for a comparable unit that would have RS232 or IP Control?

Thanks

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-01-2012, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 256
You are asking a very vague question.

To answer it, one needs to know exactly WHAT functions you want to control and are you going to be using a computer or what sort of device to control it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdepaola View Post

I'm very interested in the HK990 but its looking like the RS232 port is not active for control, which I need. Anyone have a suggestion for a comparable unit that would have RS232 or IP Control?

Thanks

post #3 of 4 Old 06-01-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdepaola View Post

The Yamaha RXV 671 may come pretty close:

http://download.yamaha.com/search/pr...uct_id=1492813

It appears that your goal would be accomplished by a feature that I have found and happily used on some large venue video projectors - the device has a IP server that runs a Java App over the web or LAN that provides complete remote control and status.

What appears to me to be a very similar function on the RXV 671 is described starting on page 73 of the user manual linked above. Looks pretty functional!

No doubt there are already or shortly will be competitive products with this same kind of facility. Any smart phone, laptop or PC with a web browser can be your remote. Sweet!
post #4 of 4 Old 06-16-2012, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

You are asking a very vague question.

To answer it, one needs to know exactly WHAT functions you want to control and are you going to be using a computer or what sort of device to control it.

So the HK990 has only IR control, which works fine, however my equipment sits on a Control4 system and I like the bi-directional communication offered via IP and/or RS232... So like most networked AVR's I'm looking for a quality stereo receiver that is either networked or has an RS232 port and control protocol. The HK990 is a top of the line stereo receiver, excellent amp section, and has bass management for a 2.1 system, which is what I run. I want quality that can drive my 4ohm Triad Silver Monitors.

Thanks!

Chris
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page