Component and Stereo Cable to TV --> TV to Home Theater (Sound Quality) v/s HDMI to TV --> TV to Home Theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-06-2012, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all the experts and gurus,

Here is my setup looks liks:
  1. Satellite Receiver (Bell)
  2. Sony TV XBR9
  3. Bose Cinemate SR1 Home Theater

Currently i have HDMI connected from Bell to my TV and Optical cable from TV to my Bose Cinemate SR1 Home Theater (everything works like a charm, no problem)

Problem
Problem is there are certain channels with Bell satellite that cannot be run with HDMI (HDCP error) and the solution is Component Cable

What i did
Now in order to solve this problem, i ran a component cable and stereo cable (so total of 5 cables) from Bell receiver to TV --> and my optical TV is already connected with Bose Cinemate SR1.

Question
I can hear the sound + bass everything is all set but one thing i don't know if the sound i am hearing is what it should have been with HDMI or is that compromised sound because of Stereo cables. I am really curious as i don't have any clue if the sound would be same/different.

One thing to add, Bose Cinemate SR1 is not a 5.1 setup where we have 5 speakers, it is just 1 bar.

I will be looking forward to hear from you.

Thanks and Regards,
Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-06-2012, 03:25 AM

Liked: 11
You were never getting true 5.1 sound. Going from the cable box to the tv with hdmi has been Compromising your sound from the start. The edid from the tv tells your cable box that it is a two channel source so the cable box is only passing two channel audio weather you use the stero analog or the hdmi for audio. The bose is probably using some kind of pro logic to give you all five channels but its certainly not true 5.1.

You would need hdmi or optical directly to the bose to get the true 5.1 sound.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-06-2012, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Techphil, really so you think the initial setup i had with HDMI to TV and TV to Home Theater will not give me 5.1.
I thought HDMI will carry all signals from the satellite box to TV then optical cable will carry those signals from TV to Home theater (apologies if i am thinking in wrong direction).

@Also, to add what bose is promoting with thr CineMate SR1 is you connect everything with TV and thn run one optical cable from TV to Home Theater. If it was not 5.1 then won't be doing it (sorry i may be heading in wrong direction, i will check with bose support too).

But i am really confused, your analogy is right but all those years i was under impression that HDMI will transfer true 5.1 frown.gif
Please help!
post #4 of 10 Old 06-06-2012, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

Also to add, i can run Optical cable from Bell Satellite to Bose Home theater but thn my PS3 will not work and i have to flip/flop all the time frown.gif Another headache
post #5 of 10 Old 06-06-2012, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
One thing you seem confused about is optical connections. Optical is an audio only connection. It carries only two channels of audio; NO VIDEO; NO 5.1. You really need to get a receiver that can switch the HDMI signals through to the TV.

Ypu can get a Denon 1312 receiver for less than $180. It has 4 HDMI inputs and an HDMI output to connect to your TV.

While you are at it, you may want to check out the Jamo S426HCS3 speaker system, for $299. The Bose Cinemate is a pretty pathetic speaker setup.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-06-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

toslink (optical) most certainly can (and does) carry a 5.1 signal... ever own a dvd player?

what it does not do (and is not relevant in this case) is carry lossless audio...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 10 Old 06-07-2012, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Ok please help me understand, you guys have got me confused now.
My digital optical cable looks same as Toslink (Sorry if i sound s*)

Are you really sure digital optical cable will only transmit is 2.1? (I don't agree with commsysman, please send me any link or something)
Reason being: In my last home theater setup i ran Optical (same cable i m using with Bose) from my Sony Home Theater to TV and i could hear true 5.1.

@Also my experience on CineMate SR1 has been great, sound quality is unbelievable. Not promoting BOSE but its slick and sound is crisp and way better than my previous owned home theaters.

One more question: Shall i order this optical cable: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6ft-Premium-Toslink-Digital-Optical-Audio-Cable-S-PDIF-/270905578403?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3f133b13a3#ht_2659wt_1037 or i am good with my current one?

Thanks,
Sam
post #8 of 10 Old 06-07-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

yes, toslink = optical....

and yes, it will carry 5.1... it will not carry lossless mch, but that does not matter in this case...

you are good with your current cable...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 10 Old 06-07-2012, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much Chris! Appreciated.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-07-2012, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

you got it... smile.gif

- chris

Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page