What's the best CD ripping software? - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #91 of 118 Old 03-17-2014, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeyoung View Post

Interesting. Im just curious because I am pretty passionate when it comes to making sure I have the highest quality (of anything really) rip of my music but I haven't heard much of a difference, or argument for that matter, that FLAC has higher quality than ALAC or that this program has better ripping quality than this other program. Its kind of a bummer that there isnt a standard process across the board for all software programs. If you want the best rip from your cd it should be done "this way."

Most of the time when dbPowerAmp reports an error rip, I don't hear a problem on playback. But at least I know it's there, so I can listen critically to see if there is a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 118 Old 10-24-2014, 02:31 PM

Liked: 12
IF EAC is a little difficult or seems like a hassle try EASY Audio Copy!

I must admit that I had some issues with EAC at first and then discovered Easy Audio Copy! Same creator, same ripper, same results with all guess work removed! I will be posting a review in just a few minutes.

Someone who truly loves others speaks the truth, not just what they want to hear.
post #93 of 118 Old 11-26-2014, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
EAC is horrible software IMHO

I tried EAC and was not impressed in the least. Not sure if the software is no longer being maintained, but my advice: avoid it like the plague!

Tried installing EAC on my Windows 8.1 machine and it was an absolute nightmare! Tried ripping a CD multiple times with EAC and each time it locked up my PC and I'd have to reboot. Then, when I finally uninstalled the software, don't ask me how, but it corrupted the driver for my CD burner and my computer would no longer recognize the device...so I had to reinstall that.

Weird, weird software that I'm guessing is not compatible with Window 8.

Just trying to help save someone the hassle I just went through with this craptastic software. It may have been great on previous versions of Windows, but not with Windows 8...at least in my experience.

You can try it, but don't say I didn't warn you!
post #94 of 118 Old 11-26-2014, 08:47 PM

Easy Audio Copy doesn't want to work either :(

So after uninstalling ExactAudioCopy, I read in another forum that EasyAudioCopy works much better. However, that didn't work for me either. But, at least it doesn't lock up my PC. It just gives me an error during the process of ripping.

Fortunately though I was able to use Windows Media Player and rip my music that way...and it worked great; only WMP won't let me rip a FLAC file.

Oh well, maybe I'll cough up some money for dBpoweramp.
post #95 of 118 Old 12-06-2014, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 36
dBpoweramp is the way to go if you are planning to rip a bunch of CDs. I also use EAC, but dB is much faster. At most I can get 8x with my drive for secure with EAC, while with dB I can get 40x and faster. The label selection with dB is better and the ability to edit the metadata directly in the software allows for more choice.

Occasionally I'll have a rip issue with dB and EAC will work--I'd say 1 out of every 100 discs (on a particular track).

If your time is important to you then dB is the way to go.

B.
post #96 of 118 Old 12-10-2014, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
EAC has been the most reliable for me.
post #97 of 118 Old 12-10-2014, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I used EAC. It's a bit too fiddly when all I want is to rip FLAC or MP3.

Ended my search with Fairstars CD Ripper. It's easy and straight forward. A lightweight software that just works.
post #98 of 118 Old 12-11-2014, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
dBpoweramp is the way to go if you are planning to rip a bunch of CDs. I also use EAC, but dB is much faster. At most I can get 8x with my drive for secure with EAC, while with dB I can get 40x and faster. The label selection with dB is better and the ability to edit the metadata directly in the software allows for more choice.

Occasionally I'll have a rip issue with dB and EAC will work--I'd say 1 out of every 100 discs (on a particular track).

If your time is important to you then dB is the way to go.

B.
Just read through this thread (mostly).

Using a MAC for about two years to do ripping (moved completely away from the semi-proprietary Olive system about a year ago).

Here is what works for us:

1) XLD - free. Does a good job overall but can be slow. Links to Amazon web services for an amazing way to locate artwork, esp. for older CD's. Provides data on the accuracy of rips (jitter, retries, bad secotrs, etc.)

2) JRiver version 20. Not free. You get what you pay for. This has been updated a couple of times already and keeps getting better. Faster rips than XLD, provides info on the quality/success of the rip. Excellent artwork finding capabilities and/or artwork file uploads. Integrates with the (excellent) JRiver library management tools and has a very deep tag set, especially useful for classical. All tags edits are saved back into track metadata (not an independent database like Olive used) - hence something else like Sonos or BlueSound will 'see' all these changes including updated artwork etc. Highly recommended.

Most everything is FLAC or more recently, Apple lossless; some limited hi-res material and some very limited DSD material.
WAV does not allow metadata to my knowledge. Given current processor capabilities, can't see a reason for WAV.

Occasionally use XLD and Amazon web services to locate artwork for some obscure CD found in used record store (boston area) or similar that 'stumps' JRiver. This is getting less and less frequent. But any search tool would suffice as long as you can save the image file.

Keep everything on a recent vintage time-capsule which is network visible. Back-up onto a separate USB hard drive, kept in my office. CD's kept in simple archival binders, but nothing obsessive.

--> does dBpoweramp work for OSX (Mac's)?

Last edited by clpetersen; 12-11-2014 at 12:33 PM.
post #99 of 118 Old 12-11-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Just read through this thread (mostly).

Using a MAC for about two years to do ripping (moved completely away from the semi-proprietary Olive system about a year ago).

Here is what works for us:

1) XLD - free. Does a good job overall but can be slow. Links to Amazon web services for an amazing way to locate artwork, esp. for older CD's. Provides data on the accuracy of rips (jitter, retries, bad secotrs, etc.)

2) JRiver version 20. Not free. You get what you pay for. This has been updated a couple of times already and keeps getting better. Faster rips than XLD, provides info on the quality/success of the rip. Excellent artwork finding capabilities and/or artwork file uploads. Integrates with the (excellent) JRiver library management tools and has a very deep tag set, especially useful for classical. All tags edits are saved back into track metadata (not an independent database like Olive used) - hence something else like Sonos or BlueSound will 'see' all these changes including updated artwork etc. Highly recommended.

Most everything is FLAC or more recently, Apple lossless; some limited hi-res material and some very limited DSD material.
WAV does not allow metadata to my knowledge. Given current processor capabilities, can't see a reason for WAV.

Occasionally use XLD and Amazon web services to locate artwork for some obscure CD found in used record store (boston area) or similar that 'stumps' JRiver. This is getting less and less frequent. But any search tool would suffice as long as you can save the image file.

Keep everything on a recent vintage time-capsule which is network visible. Back-up onto a separate USB hard drive, kept in my office. CD's kept in simple archival binders, but nothing obsessive.

--> does dBpoweramp work for OSX (Mac's)?

Sorry, should have mentioned I meant for PC. I have read that XLD is popular for Mac, but as I'm stuck in a Windows world I don't know anything about it.

Does JRiver use AccurateRip? I get burst copy speeds with dB vs. EAC even though I'm getting secure rips. The time savings is so big I would never go back to EAC.

B.
Will2007 likes this.
post #100 of 118 Old 12-14-2014, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 49
dBpoweramp gets my vote.

Sure, it costs $38 the last time I checked, but it does everything I need, and it's faster than EAC. They are also actively developing a Mac version, which I think their site says is getting officially released in January 2015 as of the moment. I've also had a pretty easy time getting it to run under WINE in Linux Mint 17. All you need to do is adjust the CD-ROM drive passthrough options in dBpoweramp and it works.

I believe Spoon is the developer who posts on their forums all the time, also added a CUE sheet encoder which is really nice. The program also takes far less setup than EAC, and requires none of the command line options to use an encoder (though the CLI Encoder option is available to those who want it).

I also LOVE the batch converter. If I want to convert my library of FLAC files to a lossy format for my portables, all I do is pick the folders I want, pick the encoder, let it run and set it to automatically shut down the computer when complete.

I don't see a reason to use anything else.
post #101 of 118 Old 12-18-2014, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I had no idea there was much of a discussion... EAC
post #102 of 118 Old 12-21-2014, 02:08 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolsomAudio View Post
I had no idea there was much of a discussion... EAC
I find EAC pretty limited without utilizing scripts and third party plugins (REACT). I set it up years ago and have no idea how I did it, so if anything ever went wrong I would just switch to dB software now.

I'm more interested in how to tag and organize classical music now. I'm finding that Apple Lossless tags with iTunes are severely lacking and am considering re-ripping everything to FLAC with custom tags for work, composer, opus, etc.
post #103 of 118 Old 01-19-2015, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Silly question, I am finally getting around to ripping all my CD, I was going to use EAC but it appears you need to purchase a subscription to a meta data service to have all the CD data be populated w/o manual entry.
Does dbPoweramp or JRiver have the same requirement?
Is there a free source for metadata for use with EAC?
Thanks!
post #104 of 118 Old 01-26-2015, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
Silly question, I am finally getting around to ripping all my CD, I was going to use EAC but it appears you need to purchase a subscription to a meta data service to have all the CD data be populated w/o manual entry.
Thanks!
You don't have to subscribe to anything to get correct Metadata, etc.; I just ripped some more CD's yesterday. If you're just getting started, the important thing to do is make a "plan" for how you want your library to be constructed (e.g. artist/album); I go back and add something like the track# at the beginning of the CD directory structure so (common) playing software will sort them in release order (much like it sorts the tracks in the order of the number at the begining of the title).

Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps and Mills resistors (R/L F/R), (2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (Top Middle), Polk CS300 center channel
Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
post #105 of 118 Old 01-26-2015, 06:08 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
Thanks!
The "build-in freedb engine" works well for me and no subscription required. Often you'll have varying choices of different versions of the same album, be sure to select the right one as some have bonus tracks. I'm currently using EAC version V1.0 beta 3 from 29 August 2011. Works well for me on Windows 7.
post #106 of 118 Old 01-28-2015, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 59
What's the best CD ripping software?

So EAC is only windows? ... Next I guess.
post #107 of 118 Old 02-28-2015, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I have a question as I am not too savvy on some programs. I currently hae all my cd's ripped to a FLAC file and they are connected from my Toshiba external hard drive to my Oppo 105. I play my music this way, but what if I have disks like 2L the Nordic Sound which has files in 2.0 LPCM 24/192KHz format? How or what kind of program can I rip this cd with in order to get higher quality processing ?

As far as I know, EAC and Media Monkey are all restricted to standard CD bit and sampling rates?
post #108 of 118 Old 03-01-2015, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekos View Post
I have a question as I am not too savvy on some programs. I currently hae all my cd's ripped to a FLAC file and they are connected from my Toshiba external hard drive to my Oppo 105. I play my music this way, but what if I have disks like 2L the Nordic Sound which has files in 2.0 LPCM 24/192KHz format? How or what kind of program can I rip this cd with in order to get higher quality processing ?

As far as I know, EAC and Media Monkey are all restricted to standard CD bit and sampling rates?
Already answered in the other thread, but just in case someone is searching and comes here first:

DVD Audio Extractor works well for all DVD/BR audio (with the exception of dts-HD MA tracks where it only gets the core dts). $38.50US http://www.dvdae.com/dvdae/

Mike
post #109 of 118 Old 03-04-2015, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 90
For Linux, Asunder CD Ripper is awesome. Easy to use and gets the job done quick. No nosense.

On Windows, I agree with people suggesting dbPoweramp. Great program and worth the $40.
post #110 of 118 Old 03-21-2015, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Good thread, I'm going to try the free trial of dbpoweramp based on all of the recommendations. I'm going back and re-ripping cds that I ripped years ago in lossy format. I want to make a high-quality backup copy and portable copy that I can stream from my nas through ps3 or whatever.

Aside from the ability to rip the flac file and m4a at the same time, does dbpoweramp have any big advantage over just using itunes? And is there a reason why everyone in this thread recommends flac over aiff? I was planning on aiff (harddrive space is cheap, and I don't have that much music anyway), but if there's a good reason to go flac, I will.

Thanks!

Two Schneider Cine Digitar Anamorphic lenses for sale here (now with DIY slides!):
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/252-fr...hic-1-33x.html
Pics of my theater space:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #111 of 118 Old 03-22-2015, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

FLAC is vendor neutral. It is supported by most companies, so your investment (in time, mostly) will never be wasted.

Mike
post #112 of 118 Old 03-22-2015, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulakd View Post
And is there a reason why everyone in this thread recommends flac over aiff?
Because it has nothing to do with crapple.
post #113 of 118 Old 03-22-2015, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 59
What's the best CD ripping software?

Lol love Apple haters. They are funny. Either way ACC and ALAC is open source, free and any company worth their reputation will support those files in their products. So it doesn't matter which way you go. Lossless is lossless.
post #114 of 118 Old 03-24-2015, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
And is there a reason why everyone in this thread recommends flac over aiff?
Most likely because Flac is better supported than AIFF.
post #115 of 118 Old 03-25-2015, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
You don't have to subscribe to anything to get correct Metadata, etc.; I just ripped some more CD's yesterday. If you're just getting started, the important thing to do is make a "plan" for how you want your library to be constructed (e.g. artist/album); I go back and add something like the track# at the beginning of the CD directory structure so (common) playing software will sort them in release order (much like it sorts the tracks in the order of the number at the begining of the title).
Hello Stanton - not sure I understood what you meant by 'sorting in release order'- could you elaborate a little more? thx -
post #116 of 118 Old 03-26-2015, 02:23 AM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Aside from the ability to rip the flac file and m4a at the same time, does dbpoweramp have any big advantage over just using itunes? And is there a reason why everyone in this thread recommends flac over aiff? I was planning on aiff (harddrive space is cheap, and I don't have that much music anyway), but if there's a good reason to go flac, I will.

Thanks!
Itunes files, as far as I know, can only be played on devices which have itunes installed.
Flac files can be carted around and played on most devices.
A point to keep in mind: if you are ripping new cd's to flac, and you want to play the sames files on, say, your car system that probably doesn't support flac, you can use dbpoweramp to convert your flac files in batches to mp3 to play in your car.
post #117 of 118 Old 03-26-2015, 10:14 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by madaudio View Post
Itunes files, as far as I know, can only be played on devices which have itunes installed.
Flac files can be carted around and played on most devices.
A point to keep in mind: if you are ripping new cd's to flac, and you want to play the sames files on, say, your car system that probably doesn't support flac, you can use dbpoweramp to convert your flac files in batches to mp3 to play in your car.
Thanks for the response (and to the others who chimed in too!). Ended up looking at my receiver's manual, and it can play flac files streamed from nas, but cannot play aiff. PS3 cannot play either one, but can play m4a. Wife has an ipod, so m4a copy is helpful to have. So a simultaneous rip to flac and m4a through dbpoweramp seems like the best option for me. Price is about $40 for one computer, or $60 for 2-5 computers. With the one-off option, does that mean that when my old computer breaks, I have to purchase the program again?

Two Schneider Cine Digitar Anamorphic lenses for sale here (now with DIY slides!):
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/252-fr...hic-1-33x.html
Pics of my theater space:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #118 of 118 Old 03-27-2015, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I think it's a transferable license. Check with Illustrate to be sure, but that's the usual way these things work.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio