1Likes

post #91 of 100 Old 03-17-2014, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeyoung View Post

Interesting. Im just curious because I am pretty passionate when it comes to making sure I have the highest quality (of anything really) rip of my music but I haven't heard much of a difference, or argument for that matter, that FLAC has higher quality than ALAC or that this program has better ripping quality than this other program. Its kind of a bummer that there isnt a standard process across the board for all software programs. If you want the best rip from your cd it should be done "this way."

Most of the time when dbPowerAmp reports an error rip, I don't hear a problem on playback. But at least I know it's there, so I can listen critically to see if there is a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 100 Old 10-24-2014, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
IF EAC is a little difficult or seems like a hassle try EASY Audio Copy!

I must admit that I had some issues with EAC at first and then discovered Easy Audio Copy! Same creator, same ripper, same results with all guess work removed! I will be posting a review in just a few minutes.

Someone who truly loves others speaks the truth, not just what they want to hear.
post #93 of 100 Old 11-26-2014, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
EAC is horrible software IMHO

I tried EAC and was not impressed in the least. Not sure if the software is no longer being maintained, but my advice: avoid it like the plague!

Tried installing EAC on my Windows 8.1 machine and it was an absolute nightmare! Tried ripping a CD multiple times with EAC and each time it locked up my PC and I'd have to reboot. Then, when I finally uninstalled the software, don't ask me how, but it corrupted the driver for my CD burner and my computer would no longer recognize the device...so I had to reinstall that.

Weird, weird software that I'm guessing is not compatible with Window 8.

Just trying to help save someone the hassle I just went through with this craptastic software. It may have been great on previous versions of Windows, but not with Windows 8...at least in my experience.

You can try it, but don't say I didn't warn you!
post #94 of 100 Old 11-26-2014, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Easy Audio Copy doesn't want to work either :(

So after uninstalling ExactAudioCopy, I read in another forum that EasyAudioCopy works much better. However, that didn't work for me either. But, at least it doesn't lock up my PC. It just gives me an error during the process of ripping.

Fortunately though I was able to use Windows Media Player and rip my music that way...and it worked great; only WMP won't let me rip a FLAC file.

Oh well, maybe I'll cough up some money for dBpoweramp.
post #95 of 100 Old 12-06-2014, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 31
dBpoweramp is the way to go if you are planning to rip a bunch of CDs. I also use EAC, but dB is much faster. At most I can get 8x with my drive for secure with EAC, while with dB I can get 40x and faster. The label selection with dB is better and the ability to edit the metadata directly in the software allows for more choice.

Occasionally I'll have a rip issue with dB and EAC will work--I'd say 1 out of every 100 discs (on a particular track).

If your time is important to you then dB is the way to go.

B.
post #96 of 100 Old 12-10-2014, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
EAC has been the most reliable for me.
post #97 of 100 Old 12-10-2014, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I used EAC. It's a bit too fiddly when all I want is to rip FLAC or MP3.

Ended my search with Fairstars CD Ripper. It's easy and straight forward. A lightweight software that just works.
post #98 of 100 Old 12-11-2014, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
dBpoweramp is the way to go if you are planning to rip a bunch of CDs. I also use EAC, but dB is much faster. At most I can get 8x with my drive for secure with EAC, while with dB I can get 40x and faster. The label selection with dB is better and the ability to edit the metadata directly in the software allows for more choice.

Occasionally I'll have a rip issue with dB and EAC will work--I'd say 1 out of every 100 discs (on a particular track).

If your time is important to you then dB is the way to go.

B.
Just read through this thread (mostly).

Using a MAC for about two years to do ripping (moved completely away from the semi-proprietary Olive system about a year ago).

Here is what works for us:

1) XLD - free. Does a good job overall but can be slow. Links to Amazon web services for an amazing way to locate artwork, esp. for older CD's. Provides data on the accuracy of rips (jitter, retries, bad secotrs, etc.)

2) JRiver version 20. Not free. You get what you pay for. This has been updated a couple of times already and keeps getting better. Faster rips than XLD, provides info on the quality/success of the rip. Excellent artwork finding capabilities and/or artwork file uploads. Integrates with the (excellent) JRiver library management tools and has a very deep tag set, especially useful for classical. All tags edits are saved back into track metadata (not an independent database like Olive used) - hence something else like Sonos or BlueSound will 'see' all these changes including updated artwork etc. Highly recommended.

Most everything is FLAC or more recently, Apple lossless; some limited hi-res material and some very limited DSD material.
WAV does not allow metadata to my knowledge. Given current processor capabilities, can't see a reason for WAV.

Occasionally use XLD and Amazon web services to locate artwork for some obscure CD found in used record store (boston area) or similar that 'stumps' JRiver. This is getting less and less frequent. But any search tool would suffice as long as you can save the image file.

Keep everything on a recent vintage time-capsule which is network visible. Back-up onto a separate USB hard drive, kept in my office. CD's kept in simple archival binders, but nothing obsessive.

--> does dBpoweramp work for OSX (Mac's)?

Last edited by clpetersen; 12-11-2014 at 01:33 PM.
post #99 of 100 Old 12-11-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Just read through this thread (mostly).

Using a MAC for about two years to do ripping (moved completely away from the semi-proprietary Olive system about a year ago).

Here is what works for us:

1) XLD - free. Does a good job overall but can be slow. Links to Amazon web services for an amazing way to locate artwork, esp. for older CD's. Provides data on the accuracy of rips (jitter, retries, bad secotrs, etc.)

2) JRiver version 20. Not free. You get what you pay for. This has been updated a couple of times already and keeps getting better. Faster rips than XLD, provides info on the quality/success of the rip. Excellent artwork finding capabilities and/or artwork file uploads. Integrates with the (excellent) JRiver library management tools and has a very deep tag set, especially useful for classical. All tags edits are saved back into track metadata (not an independent database like Olive used) - hence something else like Sonos or BlueSound will 'see' all these changes including updated artwork etc. Highly recommended.

Most everything is FLAC or more recently, Apple lossless; some limited hi-res material and some very limited DSD material.
WAV does not allow metadata to my knowledge. Given current processor capabilities, can't see a reason for WAV.

Occasionally use XLD and Amazon web services to locate artwork for some obscure CD found in used record store (boston area) or similar that 'stumps' JRiver. This is getting less and less frequent. But any search tool would suffice as long as you can save the image file.

Keep everything on a recent vintage time-capsule which is network visible. Back-up onto a separate USB hard drive, kept in my office. CD's kept in simple archival binders, but nothing obsessive.

--> does dBpoweramp work for OSX (Mac's)?

Sorry, should have mentioned I meant for PC. I have read that XLD is popular for Mac, but as I'm stuck in a Windows world I don't know anything about it.

Does JRiver use AccurateRip? I get burst copy speeds with dB vs. EAC even though I'm getting secure rips. The time savings is so big I would never go back to EAC.

B.
Will2007 likes this.
post #100 of 100 Old Today, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 38
dBpoweramp gets my vote.

Sure, it costs $38 the last time I checked, but it does everything I need, and it's faster than EAC. They are also actively developing a Mac version, which I think their site says is getting officially released in January 2015 as of the moment. I've also had a pretty easy time getting it to run under WINE in Linux Mint 17. All you need to do is adjust the CD-ROM drive passthrough options in dBpoweramp and it works.

I believe Spoon is the developer who posts on their forums all the time, also added a CUE sheet encoder which is really nice. The program also takes far less setup than EAC, and requires none of the command line options to use an encoder (though the CLI Encoder option is available to those who want it).

I also LOVE the batch converter. If I want to convert my library of FLAC files to a lossy format for my portables, all I do is pick the folders I want, pick the encoder, let it run and set it to automatically shut down the computer when complete.

I don't see a reason to use anything else.
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page