What's the best CD ripping software? - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #151 of 161 Old 01-27-2016, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goes to 11 View Post
Have you tried a different optical drive to see if the one you're using has a problem? I installed a second drive, sometimes a disc with rip with errors on one, and fine on the other.
Yes, multiple computers, same thing. The dBpoweramp settings are the same on them. That's why I was wondering if that might be why, that I'm simply missing something here.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 161 Old 01-27-2016, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Electra Glide View Post
Yes, multiple computers, same thing. The dBpoweramp settings are the same on them. That's why I was wondering if that might be why, that I'm simply missing something here.

Thanks!
I haven't changed any of the default settings, IIRC, except maybe letting it run longer before timing out, and changing a DSP or two. So, if you are also using the defaults, I doubt that is your problem. Have you sought advice in the dBpoweramp forums or from Spoon (the dBpoweramp man)?
post #153 of 161 Old 01-27-2016, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
EAC and dbpoweramp are both solid software that obviously a lot of people here use. A lesser known but completely viable and free option that I personally use is CUERipper. It has a pretty basic interface but all of the necessary features to get a flawless rip in whatever codec you want are there. I've used EAC and I prefer the CUERipper software because it's simple and it just works. Dang man, 800 CDs, I've ripped a lot of CDs but not that many. Have fun.
post #154 of 161 Old 01-28-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobilis View Post
EAC and dbpoweramp are both solid software that obviously a lot of people here use. A lesser known but completely viable and free option that I personally use is CUERipper. It has a pretty basic interface but all of the necessary features to get a flawless rip in whatever codec you want are there. I've used EAC and I prefer the CUERipper software because it's simple and it just works. Dang man, 800 CDs, I've ripped a lot of CDs but not that many. Have fun.
A friend also recently recommended CDex to me, but I have read that the download for it now installs malware, or at least bloatware, depending on how you define these things.

What I would like to know is if there is some ripper (like CUERipper?) or other software tool that can take an inaccurate rip -- lets say one that causes an audible drop out -- read the file, and fill in or otherwise repair the damaged/missing data?
post #155 of 161 Old 01-29-2016, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
I think most dbPowerAmp users rip to FLAC because it is a non-proprietary format, and creates files that we all assume will be good "forever," or at least easily converted into some other needed file type.....
By the way, no matter how you choose to do it, I want to strongly urge you to back up your FLAC (or ALAC or whatever) files regularly. After you've spent hours ripping this stuff, you don't want to lose it.
I will point out that ALAC is now also open source (since 2014, I believe). Virtually every digital server/renderer I am aware will play ALAC. Only iTunes will not work with FLAC (no printable comment). So, if you are a heavy iOS user then ALAC has an advantage. Otherwise the two formats are equivalent.

-second the reminder to back up.
post #156 of 161 Old 02-05-2016, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I downloaded CDex a few weeks ago and then spent the next few hours swearing at the computer while fighting to remove the several other programs that accompanied it.
post #157 of 161 Old 02-11-2016, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 120
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but MediaMonkey is my choice for ripping CDs to lossless (FLAC) and for media management. It even has "Secure Read" and "Jitter Correct Read" for discs with issues and can check to ensure the disc got ripped properly. Worth the $25 for Gold, IMO, and there's no chance of malware. That's what I use anyways. I know EAC is popular as well. I tried that and the interface was not user friendly at all, IMO, and made things much more difficult than it had to be. Plus, it's just one more program I have to worry about. iTunes works great if you're willing to use their formats. Their error-correction is excellent on a lot of bad condition CDs. Anyways, that's my $0.02.

7.1 Setup: Yamaha RX-V671, Boston Acoustics VR40 (Mains), VR12 (Center), CR8 (Surrounds), CR8 (Rear Surrounds), Mirage Omni S10
Second 7.1 Setup: Yamaha RX-V663/Kenwood KR-5030 (Stereo), Boston Acoustics VR20 (Mains), VR10 (Center), CR6 (Surrounds), CRC (Rear Surrounds), Klipsch Sub12HG
2.1 Setup: Nakamichi RE-2, Boston Acoustics VR40 and Mirage Omni S10 (shared with 7.1), Emotiva XDA-1, and Pioneer, Kenwood, dbx, Luxman, Burwen, and JVC vintage equipment
post #158 of 161 Old 02-11-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightwisher View Post
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but MediaMonkey is my choice for ripping CDs to lossless (FLAC) and for media management. It even has "Secure Read" and "Jitter Correct Read" for discs with issues and can check to ensure the disc got ripped properly. Worth the $25 for Gold, IMO, and there's no chance of malware. That's what I use anyways. I know EAC is popular as well. I tried that and the interface was not user friendly at all, IMO, and made things much more difficult than it had to be. Plus, it's just one more program I have to worry about. iTunes works great if you're willing to use their formats. Their error-correction is excellent on a lot of bad condition CDs. Anyways, that's my $0.02.
Only a month or so ago I read that for those using iTunes to manage their libraries, Apple had gone into their databases and done them the "favor" of "correcting" all their tags. For example, if you have a tribute CD like Bob Dylan's birthday celebration and you've changed the album artist from "various artists" to Bob Dylan, it got changed back to various. Or maybe an album tagged as Christmas got changed to holiday.

If this is true, I would have had a meltdown. iTunes would not be my choice for ripping/managing.
post #159 of 161 Old 02-11-2016, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobilis View Post
A lot of CDs! That's why I chipped in with some friends and bought a Nimbie which we share. Makes bulk ripping possible and runs with dBPowerAmp.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #160 of 161 Old 02-11-2016, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Only a month or so ago I read that for those using iTunes to manage their libraries, Apple had gone into their databases and done them the "favor" of "correcting" all their tags. For example, if you have a tribute CD like Bob Dylan's birthday celebration and you've changed the album artist from "various artists" to Bob Dylan, it got changed back to various. Or maybe an album tagged as Christmas got changed to holiday.

If this is true, I would have had a meltdown. iTunes would not be my choice for ripping/managing.
I use iTunes for managing my lossy library for my iPod. None of my files have been messed with as far as I can tell. I looked at some stuff from the iTunes store and my genre tags are still there. That doesn't mean that the changing doesn't happen though, but it certainly hasn't happened to me (that I've found at the moment). That would definitely be irritating if that's true (I don't care so much about my lossy library but if it were my main library...).

As far as ripping goes, if I'm ripping with iTunes the files go to a separate folder for my Lossless library instead of staying in the folder with the rest of my iTunes library (that keeps library management easier). They couldn't touch those even if they wanted to.

7.1 Setup: Yamaha RX-V671, Boston Acoustics VR40 (Mains), VR12 (Center), CR8 (Surrounds), CR8 (Rear Surrounds), Mirage Omni S10
Second 7.1 Setup: Yamaha RX-V663/Kenwood KR-5030 (Stereo), Boston Acoustics VR20 (Mains), VR10 (Center), CR6 (Surrounds), CRC (Rear Surrounds), Klipsch Sub12HG
2.1 Setup: Nakamichi RE-2, Boston Acoustics VR40 and Mirage Omni S10 (shared with 7.1), Emotiva XDA-1, and Pioneer, Kenwood, dbx, Luxman, Burwen, and JVC vintage equipment
post #161 of 161 Old 02-11-2016, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 191
I got into the habit of using my custom foobar2000 configuration for everything.

With Windows 10 supporting FLAC natively, I made a point to set all completed music files as read-only and keep them out of the OS’s default music folder. I'm extra skeptical of Microsoft’s handling of these things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page