What's the best CD ripping software? - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 20Likes
post #151 of 156 Old 01-27-2016, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goes to 11 View Post
Have you tried a different optical drive to see if the one you're using has a problem? I installed a second drive, sometimes a disc with rip with errors on one, and fine on the other.
Yes, multiple computers, same thing. The dBpoweramp settings are the same on them. That's why I was wondering if that might be why, that I'm simply missing something here.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 156 Old 01-27-2016, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Electra Glide View Post
Yes, multiple computers, same thing. The dBpoweramp settings are the same on them. That's why I was wondering if that might be why, that I'm simply missing something here.

Thanks!
I haven't changed any of the default settings, IIRC, except maybe letting it run longer before timing out, and changing a DSP or two. So, if you are also using the defaults, I doubt that is your problem. Have you sought advice in the dBpoweramp forums or from Spoon (the dBpoweramp man)?
post #153 of 156 Old 01-27-2016, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
EAC and dbpoweramp are both solid software that obviously a lot of people here use. A lesser known but completely viable and free option that I personally use is CUERipper. It has a pretty basic interface but all of the necessary features to get a flawless rip in whatever codec you want are there. I've used EAC and I prefer the CUERipper software because it's simple and it just works. Dang man, 800 CDs, I've ripped a lot of CDs but not that many. Have fun.
post #154 of 156 Old 01-28-2016, 09:17 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobilis View Post
EAC and dbpoweramp are both solid software that obviously a lot of people here use. A lesser known but completely viable and free option that I personally use is CUERipper. It has a pretty basic interface but all of the necessary features to get a flawless rip in whatever codec you want are there. I've used EAC and I prefer the CUERipper software because it's simple and it just works. Dang man, 800 CDs, I've ripped a lot of CDs but not that many. Have fun.
A friend also recently recommended CDex to me, but I have read that the download for it now installs malware, or at least bloatware, depending on how you define these things.

What I would like to know is if there is some ripper (like CUERipper?) or other software tool that can take an inaccurate rip -- lets say one that causes an audible drop out -- read the file, and fill in or otherwise repair the damaged/missing data?
post #155 of 156 Old 01-29-2016, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goes to 11 View Post
I think most dbPowerAmp users rip to FLAC because it is a non-proprietary format, and creates files that we all assume will be good "forever," or at least easily converted into some other needed file type.....
By the way, no matter how you choose to do it, I want to strongly urge you to back up your FLAC (or ALAC or whatever) files regularly. After you've spent hours ripping this stuff, you don't want to lose it.
I will point out that ALAC is now also open source (since 2014, I believe). Virtually every digital server/renderer I am aware will play ALAC. Only iTunes will not work with FLAC (no printable comment). So, if you are a heavy iOS user then ALAC has an advantage. Otherwise the two formats are equivalent.

-second the reminder to back up.
post #156 of 156 Unread Today, 06:05 PM

Liked: 13
I downloaded CDex a few weeks ago and then spent the next few hours swearing at the computer while fighting to remove the several other programs that accompanied it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio