Parametric EQ For 2 channel - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 36 Old 06-21-2012, 04:29 AM
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,530
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillips751 View Post

Even a laptop internal soundcard?
The laptop is about 4- 5 years old, Acer 4315.(Vista)

The biggest problem with laptops is that their audio inputs are often for use with microphones, and not with mic preamps. This is easily and inexpensively circumvented by obtaining an inexpensive USB audio interface, such as the Behringer UCA 202,



310


or a inexpensive USB audio interface with built in mic preamp such as the ART Dual Pre:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/615405-REG/ART_USBDUALPREPS_USB_Dual_Pre.html

345
arnyk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 36 Old 06-21-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ethan Winer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New Milford, CT, USA
Posts: 5,757
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillips751 View Post

Even a laptop internal soundcard? The laptop is about 4- 5 years old, Acer 4315.(Vista)

Probably, and this is not difficult to measure. The Rightmark analyzer can measure the record/play frequency response of any sound card that has line inputs and outputs. I have a Dell laptop I bought at least five years ago and its built-in sound card is fine for playback. (Though there's no line input so I had to buy an external card for room measuring.) But if you want to be sure, there's nothing wrong with calibrating REW either!

--Ethan
Ethan Winer is offline  
post #33 of 36 Old 06-22-2012, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Phillips751's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

The biggest problem with laptops is that their audio inputs are often for use with microphones, and not with mic preamps. This is easily and inexpensively circumvented by obtaining an inexpensive USB audio interface, such as the Behringer UCA 202,


310
or a inexpensive USB audio interface with built in mic preamp such as the ART Dual Pre:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/615405-REG/ART_USBDUALPREPS_USB_Dual_Pre.html
345


Thanks for that.

Would these work with a USB mic (Omnimic)?
Phillips751 is offline  
post #34 of 36 Old 06-22-2012, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Phillips751's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post

Probably, and this is not difficult to measure. The Rightmark analyzer can measure the record/play frequency response of any sound card that has line inputs and outputs. I have a Dell laptop I bought at least five years ago and its built-in sound card is fine for playback. (Though there's no line input so I had to buy an external card for room measuring.) But if you want to be sure, there's nothing wrong with calibrating REW either!
--Ethan

Thank you

The laptop doesnt have a line in just a mic in.

So i can't measure the soundcard with this setup, is this right?

I wonder how accurate the Omnimic mic / txt file is, any way of checking this?

Thank you
Phillips751 is offline  
post #35 of 36 Old 06-23-2012, 01:39 AM
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,530
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillips751 View Post

Thanks for that.
Would these work with a USB mic (Omnimic)?

The Omnimic would completely bypass the inputs on either of the USB alternatives I suggested, which is just fine.
arnyk is offline  
post #36 of 36 Old 06-23-2012, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Phillips751's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

The Omnimic would completely bypass the inputs on either of the USB alternatives I suggested, which is just fine.

Thank you

Would a Steinberg C1 work?
Phillips751 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off