AVS Forum banner

MIT speaker cable

20K views 408 replies 50 participants last post by  arnyk 
#1 ·
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but did not see any sub-forum dedicated to cable.

So I was looking around on Audiogon and found that a lot of discontinued MIT speaker cables are selling for half price. I'm currently using some "just cable" ($3-4 a foot) and wondering if it is worth jumping on the deals. I'm interested in MIT CVT2, S3 etc selling for $250 - $600.

I'm not very familiar with the cables and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#328 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by almadacr  /t/1416997/mit-speaker-cable/300#post_24555740

People believe in what they want to believe , if you believe that cables can influence the way music sounds good for you but at the end of the day you are hearing the clinks and clanks of your system not the music .

I was always fascinated by the audiophile concept of "critical listening." Most of us listen to music and soundtracks for entertainment. Listening to find fault with the equipment never struck me as entertaining.

#330 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1416997/mit-speaker-cable/300_100#post_24556097

I'll bet there is pretty good symmetry. The sites that some people love but hate this one, I probably ROTFLMAO about.

I just ROTFLMAO at all the cable proponents that I can't give $5000 away to. Tesseract here, a large gathering of bufooons at Polk Audio. They are so delusional that PF members actually came over here to try and push the same agenda. They had their ears pinned back so quick it just added frosting to the cake.

I love cable-o-philes

#331 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW  /t/1416997/mit-speaker-cable/300_100#post_24556079

I was always fascinated by the audiophile concept of "critical listening." Most of us listen to music and soundtracks for entertainment. Listening to find fault with the equipment never struck me as entertaining.

I listen casually and critically for what it is worth. If it's Daft Punk, Rob Zombie, Trinity etc I'm not listening critically. If it's Classical, instrumental and the like I tend to sit down and listen a bit more critically.

#332 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW  /t/1416997/mit-speaker-cable/300#post_24556079

That's why in the audiophile world this is the biggest scam of all time but there are some guys buying it . Of course this things are being sold by another high end cable manufacturer

#333 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by almadacr
"People believe in what they want to believe , if you believe that cables can influence the way music sounds good for

you but at the end of the day you are hearing the clinks and clanks of your system not the music."

"Clinks and clanks". And I thought all cables sounded the same. LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk
"I'll bet there is pretty good symmetry. The sites that some people love but hate this one, I probably ROTFLMAO about."

I love this site. I've learned a lot. It's the polarization I can do without.

#334 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by almadacr  /t/1416997/mit-speaker-cable/330#post_24556278

That's why in the audiophile world this is the biggest scam of all time but there are some guys buying it . Of course this things are being sold by another high end cable manufacturer

You should see the huge thread on the Polk Audio forums about cable risers...

#336 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubObjective99  /t/1416997/mit-speaker-cable/300_100#post_24556379

"Clinks and clanks". And I thought all cables sounded the same. LOL.

I love this site. I've learned a lot. It's the polarization I can do without.

I don't think it's polarizing. People don't have to put up with subjective rhetoric. It's like being kind to climate change naysayers in light of all the evidence put together and the models that totally support it.

I've personally never been tolerant of intolerant people.

#337 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjuku  /t/1416997/mit-speaker-cable/330#post_24556566

I've personally never been tolerant of intolerant people.

"There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch."

#338 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjuku

"I don't think it's polarizing. People don't have to put up with subjective rhetoric. It's like being kind to climate change naysayers in light of all the evidence put together and the models that totally support it.

"I've personally never been tolerant of intolerant people."

Oogga Booga! Wooo Weee! Look at the hypocritical strawman go!

#343 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubObjective99  /t/1416997/mit-speaker-cable/300_100#post_24556791

^ Oh, ah, stuff like, you know, facts and such, like ah, some of the stuff in your posts and such?

Yep, The facts like I can't even give $5000 away. You know, that sort of fact. Or the fact that I can't even send out 'burned in' and unused cables for a $100 to charity that the loser pays.

Or the facts that there doesn't exist any claimant of all these supposed night and day differences in cables that has a single credible SBT under their belt to show for it.

Don't let the facts hit you on the way out as I begin showing you the exit door to this particular thread.

#345 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjuku  /t/1416997/mit-speaker-cable/300#post_24547550

Supposedly there is a shield tied to ground in place at the source but left floating at the output. It's supposed to be a emi/rfi mitigation measure. But since the signal is AC it's dubious of value.

Yes, lifting the ground is sometimes done on balanced cables although it's still a hack from an engineering perspective. Moreover, a pro would also use a label such as "gnd cut" or "pin 1 lifted" and not some ambiguous arrow.

No, the direction arrow is solely a snake oil audiophile marking.

#346 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubObjective99  /t/1416997/mit-speaker-cable/300_100#post_24556846

^ I'm still laughing over your post #337. As far as an exit door goes and intolerance, look in a mirror.

Find me a single cable burn in proponent that has participated in any blind test of. Make sure to close the door behind you on the way out.

Glimmie was nicer about the bullocks,Which is also a fact that is 'directional cable', than I.

#347 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie  /t/1416997/mit-speaker-cable/300_100#post_24556849

Yes, lifting the ground is sometimes done on balanced cables although it's still a hack from an engineering perspective. Moreover, a pro would also use a label such as "gnd cut" or "pin 1 lifted" and not some ambiguous arrow.

No, the direction arrow is solely a snake oil audiophile marking.

For anyone interested here is the really excellent RANE note on ground lift.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.