Small amp recommendation for Klipsch RB-51 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 07-08-2012, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a pair of Klipsch RB-51 speaker that I want to use with my computer. I want to have a miniature amp that I can leave on my desk.

All I want is a simple setup to listen to music.

Could you guys recommend me something that I can drive the speakers with? I just need a two channel set up and don't want to purchase a AV receiver.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-09-2012, 03:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 953
fwiw, topping tp30 tripath amp $109 at parts express has usb-dac ,headphone output, built like a tank and plenty loud enough for nearfield listening being t-amp will never get hot even playing 24 hrs. at a time there are cheaper ones for sale but this one is built to last

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #3 of 15 Old 07-09-2012, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

The RB-51 are 8-ohm speakers with a max output of 75W.

Do you the Topping TP-30 can supply enough power for these speakers? I noticed the the amp is rate at 2 x 10 watts @ 8-ohms.
post #4 of 15 Old 07-09-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

should have no problem pushing themthey are very efficient speakers and should give you more than enough volume for your purpose,parts express has 45 day no hassle returns try it out if you don't like send it back no questions asked.i just purchased one a little over a month ago. i own a few t-amps they are amazing little amps with great sound for certain instances like use with computers or small rooms,dorms and apartments. i have a lepai t-amp in my work area in garage with older venturi towers with a mp3 playerthey sound great, i have one for my outdoor speakers,have one hooked up to phono amp and turntable in my daughters room and also made myself a work diy boom box with the lepai amp and a set of warfedale 7.1 bookshelves i purchased on ebay. for aprox. $60 for both theres no work radio out there that comes close to sound. imo you won't get the volume but sound wise they are as good as any $300- $500 entry level reciever. for the few watts they do give out i'm sure if you had these turned up in an apartment, you would for sure have your neighbors knocking on your door

post #5 of 15 Old 07-09-2012, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I think that you would be better off buying a pair of Audioengine 2 powered speakers, which have built-in amplifiers. This saves a lot of space! They are only $200.

I use these with my desktop computer, and I have a small inexpensive subwoofer under one end of the desk. It is adequate for this sort of system since it is never played that loud. The sound quality is very good.

The cheapest decent amplifier will cost perhaps $250-350 and will not be that small.

You might want to read the Stereophile anticle on the Audioengine 2 speakers.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-09-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

i would not sell the little tripath amps short like i said i have a lepai t-aamp and a art dj pre II phono amp ( $75 for both)hooked up to my old ar xa turntable in my daughters room and honestly it sounds just as good as my little listening room system just not as loud ( a cambridge audio 340 intreg. amp with cambridge audio 550 phono amp)which new would run aprox.$ 500

post #7 of 15 Old 07-09-2012, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

I already own a set of the speakers. I was originally using these for the rear surround but replaced them with a set of Klipsch RS-42 couple years back. I don't want these to go to waste so I'm not interested in buying another set of speakers. All I want is to place a small amp that will match well with the speakers.

Does anybody have here have experience with Nuforce Icon-2?
post #8 of 15 Old 07-10-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 243
You might want to check out the Audiosource AMP 50 for $69 at Amazon.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-10-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

You might want to check out the Audiosource AMP 50 for $69 at Amazon.

Anybody know of a similar product with a DSP instead of the volume control with questionable tracking and the tone controls with questionable centering?
post #10 of 15 Old 07-14-2012, 08:08 PM

Liked: 10
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-383

i have one of those and it is more than enough for a mid size room and the klipsch speakers...i have one in my garage and it does very well in there.
post #11 of 15 Old 07-15-2012, 05:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixonrsx View Post

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-383
i have one of those and it is more than enough for a mid size room and the klipsch speakers...i have one in my garage and it does very well in there.

Looks like yet another TA-2020-based small integrated amp.

I was looking for something with a DSP, which implies a digital volume control.

Here's the best picture I could find of its interior:

I see what appears to be an analog volume control, with the potential problems of feed-through and poor channel balance. I don't see the hope-for shaft encoder.
post #12 of 15 Old 07-18-2012, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

I decide to get the Nuforce Dia refurbished unit after countless hours searching on the web. This unit has a built in DAC which will allow me to use the optical out on my Macbook Pro and feed the digital signal directly into the unit. (I just found out that the headphone jack on a Macbook Pro could be used as both analogue and optical out. You have to use a mini-toslink to a regular toslink cable.) This unit decodes up to 24bit/192kHz. The power is 18WPS at 8-ohms. I think this should be plenty power for the room I have.

When I upgrade my laptop to Mountain Lion, I intend to add Apple's Airport Express to turn this into an Airplay amp.

The Topping TP-30 sounded interesting but the USB only decode up to 44kHz. There is also no optical in which wouldn't enable me to Airplay from my Apple devices.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-29-2012, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

I wanted to provide people here with feedback with the system I got.

The Nuforce Dia sounds awesome! I'm glad I made this choice. I can't believe the quality of sound I get out of this little unit.

Initially, I had just the Klipsch RB-51 hooked up. The mids and highs were excellent but it was missing the low bass. I took my Velodyne Minivee 8, which I bought to replace the crappy subwoofer that came with my HTIB in my bedroom, and hooked it up to the line out jack of the Dia. The sound now fills the entire spectrum very nicely.

I was concerned that 18W per channel wouldn't be enough to fill my office but it does so quite easily.

I also downloaded some 24bit/192kHz music to demo the unit. I can tell that the quality of sound is excellent. I wish I had same songs in lower sampling rate to compare it to.

All I need to do now is to get an Apple Tv to cut the cord completely.
post #14 of 15 Old 07-30-2012, 04:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latebloomer View Post

I wanted to provide people here with feedback with the system I got.
The Nuforce Dia sounds awesome! I'm glad I made this choice. I can't believe the quality of sound I get out of this little unit.
Initially, I had just the Klipsch RB-51 hooked up. The mids and highs were excellent but it was missing the low bass. I took my Velodyne Minivee 8, which I bought to replace the crappy subwoofer that came with my HTIB in my bedroom, and hooked it up to the line out jack of the Dia. The sound now fills the entire spectrum very nicely.

Truly amazing what a $900 subwoofer can do for $250 amplifier/DAC and $300 (pair) speakers. ;-)

I thought that the Dia was kinda pricey until I looked around for competitive units that fit into its physical size envelope.

Of course a good starter system AVR could do the job for less, but it would be physically huge in your context.
Quote:
I was concerned that 18W per channel wouldn't be enough to fill my office but it does so quite easily.

I'm not surprised as I've run amps as small as 4 watts with a pair of NHT Superzeroes in my old office. Its all about expectations and room acoustics.
Quote:
I also downloaded some 24bit/192kHz music to demo the unit. I can tell that the quality of sound is excellent. I wish I had same songs in lower sampling rate to compare it to.

I think you can make 24/192 files into 44/16 files with freeware, perhaps even Audacity. If not Audacity, then there is always Sox the freeware resampler.
post #15 of 15 Old 07-30-2012, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Truly amazing what a $900 subwoofer can do for $250 amplifier/DAC and $300 (pair) speakers. ;-)
I thought that the Dia was kinda pricey until I looked around for competitive units that fit into its physical size envelope.
Of course a good starter system AVR could do the job for less, but it would be physically huge in your context.

LOL. I guess a powered sub can make anything sound great... But mids and highs have to be able to keep up with the lows.

AVR was denitely out of the question. The wife factor was one of the reason why this unit was purchased. She already has a hard enough time operating the other AV equipments in the house.

Quote:
I think you can make 24/192 files into 44/16 files with freeware, perhaps even Audacity. If not Audacity, then there is always Sox the freeware resampler.

16bit/44kHz is lower quality audio than 24/192. I don't want to up-convert since garbage in gets garbage out. Down converting from an SACD makes for sense if I want to resample something.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page