diy ipod dock?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-09-2012, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got a set of old infinity reference bookshelf speakers that are sitting in the closet collecting dust. I was thinking, instead of going out and buying a new ipod dock, I would like to somehow build an ipod dock using my bookshelf speakers. Has anyone done this before? What cables and or equipment is needed to make this happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-09-2012, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Hi ThisGSX,

Not exactly an iPod dock, but I did something similar. It was really easy, but ugly.

I started with one of my Sansui BA-2000 amplifiers hooked to a pair of Polk speakers, and I simply used a 3.5mm-to-RCA stereo cable to plug the analog output of the iPod into the amp. That got me music, but only for half a day at a time.

Having the iPod battery run-out got old fast. So I took an old iPod-USB cable and an old USB battery charger (from a pair of Blu-Ant headphones) and spliced the USB power wires together. That gave me a power-supply to run the iPod continuously.

That's as far as I've gone. All control is still from the front of the iPod, and it dangles from the end of two cables, but it works. It looks pretty silly, but people expect that from me.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-10-2012, 05:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisgsx View Post

I've got a set of old infinity reference bookshelf speakers that are sitting in the closet collecting dust. I was thinking, instead of going out and buying a new ipod dock, I would like to somehow build an ipod dock using my bookshelf speakers. Has anyone done this before? What cables and or equipment is needed to make this happen?

I was looking at Mark's comments, and from a technical standpoint, it seems to me that he's done just about everything right.

People obsess over bypassing the supposedly horrible converters in the ipod, but my listening and measurements, as well as those of many others including John Atkinson of Stereophile say otherwise. Think of an iPod as a very small CD player with built in media collection. Ditto for other less costly but also highly effective portable players going right down to even the Sansa Clip.

From a usage and appearance standpoint, mechanical support for the iPod and the dress of the connecting 3.5 mm cable seems to be the only thing that is really any different from a plain old hifi system.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-10-2012, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page