Floorstanding Speakers for Vinyl 2.0 setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-17-2012, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Im just starting to get into the vinyl game and want to enjoy the sound of vinyl on a budget. i just bought a Pro-ject Debut Carbon which i heard was a good starting audiophile TT.

I would really like to get some nice musical floorstanding speakers for a 2.0 music (mostly vinyl) setup. I have been researching but i figure most floorstanding speakers are for home theater and not made specifically for music. Great lows, Great high, Mids, Soundstage, Imaging, lifelike sound on a budget.

speakers i have looked at:
BIC acoustech pl-89, pl-76
BIC venturi dv64
Klipsch rf-42II
Klipsch Icon vf-36
Energy CF-30
Energy Veritas v6.2

any other suggestions?

i plan on pairing with a Harmon Kardon HK 3490 stereo amp.
i won't be buying used equipment.

room size: 11x12
budget: less than $600, under 400 would be great.
music i listen to: Doom metal, Death metal, Black Metal, Prog and Classic Rock, Punk, Electronic, Jazz,.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-17-2012, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Infinity Primus p253

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #3 of 13 Old 07-17-2012, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'd budget for a sub as well.
post #4 of 13 Old 07-17-2012, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
I'd budget for a sub as well.
The budget is $400-600 for new gear. I'm not sure two bookshelf speakers, two speaker stands, and a sub really works within that constraint.

Besides, it's a small room, so a pair of decent towers should provide enough bottom for now.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #5 of 13 Old 07-17-2012, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
At that price point DIY might be better..... Cabs from PE or make ur own....
post #6 of 13 Old 07-17-2012, 08:39 PM

Liked: 37
Since you said musical speakers and asked for additional suggestions, then I would recommend you take a look at these.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-15532-wharfedale-evo2-30-tower-speakers-pr.aspx

You will have no problem driving them either with the HK you are considering. Sure they are $60 over your budget, but the EVO's are second from Wharfedales top of the line range and originally listed at over $1600 pair. As a former Wharfedale owner, these are very musical and IMO, an outstanding buy. Hope this suggestion helps.

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
post #7 of 13 Old 07-17-2012, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 726
My favorites when vinyl was all I listened to for the most part were JBL L100s (but I had original version of Advents, couldn't afford the L100s). You might get a pair in reasonable shape for $600....

post #8 of 13 Old 07-18-2012, 04:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 1074
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomnaut View Post

Im just starting to get into the vinyl game and want to enjoy the sound of vinyl on a budget. i just bought a Pro-ject Debut Carbon which i heard was a good starting audiophile TT.
I would really like to get some nice musical floorstanding speakers for a 2.0 music (mostly vinyl) setup. I have been researching but i figure most floorstanding speakers are for home theater and not made specifically for music. Great lows, Great high, Mids, Soundstage, Imaging, lifelike sound on a budget.
speakers i have looked at:
BIC acoustech pl-89, pl-76
BIC venturi dv64
Klipsch rf-42II
Klipsch Icon vf-36
Energy CF-30
Energy Veritas v6.2
any other suggestions?
i plan on pairing with a Harmon Kardon HK 3490 stereo amp.
i won't be buying used equipment.
room size: 11x12
budget: less than $600, under 400 would be great.
music i listen to: Doom metal, Death metal, Black Metal, Prog and Classic Rock, Punk, Electronic, Jazz,.

I used a big sub back in the days of vinyl, and so did some of my friends.

I had no special problems with acoustic feedback, but that part of my house is built on a concrete slab with a very solid foundation and the walls are wet plaster over steel beams.

My friends with more normal houses had issues. One simply never turned his sub on when he was playing vinyl. Another had a user-adjustable volume control for the sub and whipped a big counter-clockwise flip on it before selecting the vinyl (Linn Sondek) input.

Another had 18 dB/octave high pass filters @ 50 Hz.

You should know that a lot of vinyl was intentionally high pass filtered at relatively high frequencies like 85 Hz or even higher during mastering or cutting. If not then, then the left and right channels were summed to mono below that frequency. This eliminates vertical modulation on the groove which is always more problematical.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-19-2012, 01:53 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrevo2u View Post

At that price point DIY might be better..... Cabs from PE or make ur own....

agree here, assuming you have wood working skills and can solder. You can easily build speakers for $300-$400 that would cost up to $2000 retail. DIY is a great way to get into audio on a budget.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-22-2012, 04:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

My favorites when vinyl was all I listened to for the most part were JBL L100s (but I had original version of Advents, couldn't afford the L100s). You might get a pair in reasonable shape for $600....

The L100s were horrifically flawed by modern standards due to the over-simplicity of their crossovers. The drivers themselves were pretty good.

If you buy Infinity Primus P163s you pretty much have a modern equivalent of a L100, only the P163 has the necessary refinements to the crossovers as well as good modern drivers and vastly outperforms the L100 both in terms of SQ and the ability to get loud while remaining clean.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-22-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Quote:

The L100s were horrifically flawed by modern standards due to the over-simplicity of their crossovers. The drivers themselves were pretty good.

If you buy Infinity Primus P163s you pretty much have a modern equivalent of a L100, only the P163 has the necessary refinements to the crossovers as well as good modern drivers and vastly outperforms the L100 both in terms of SQ and the ability to get loud while remaining clean.

Thanks for that, I'll try and get a listen in one of these days altho I can't see a small two way with that 6.5 inch driver comparing to the L100, crossover primitive or not. I've not listened to the L100s in many many years, but have fond memories of friends' houses whose parents had them.

post #12 of 13 Old 07-22-2012, 03:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for that, I'll try and get a listen in one of these days altho I can't see a small two way with that 6.5 inch driver comparing to the L100, crossover primitive or not. I've not listened to the L100s in many many years, but have fond memories of friends' houses whose parents had them.

The idea that a 6.5 inch speaker is some how comparable to a 12" speaker kinda blows my mind as well.

In order for a 6.5 inch speaker to even equal the bass of a 12 inch speaker, the 6.5 inch speaker would need to have about 4 times the linear travel of the 12 inch speaker. However, this is possible with modern technology.

Remember, the L100 is from the early 1970s and that is about 40 years ago.

I've heard both L100s and P163s, and I've read credible technical reports, The P163s are that good.

Enjoy! ;-)
post #13 of 13 Old 07-22-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Quote:

The idea that a 6.5 inch speaker is some how comparable to a 12" speaker kinda blows my mind as well.

In order for a 6.5 inch speaker to even equal the bass of a 12 inch speaker, the 6.5 inch speaker would need to have about 4 times the linear travel of the 12 inch speaker. However, this is possible with modern technology.

Remember, the L100 is from the early 1970s and that is about 40 years ago.

I've heard both L100s and P163s, and I've read credible technical reports, The P163s are that good.

Enjoy! ;-)

It's been probably 30-35 years since I've heard some L100s, too, but I have some memories of quite good bass, altho could be with loudness countour and bass knob up, a lot of us did that then. I have some of the newer crop of small bookshelves, have 3 pairs in a/b/c test in front of me now but none are Infinity (two Ascends and one SVS) smile.gif Their woofers range in size from 5.25 to 7" (mid woofers?) but prodigious bass is not their thing, but decent, but I prefer subs for the prodigious bass thing. I wonder how an L100 set would compare now in any case, but not likely to find out any time soon. Did you get to hear the P163/L100 at the same time, or close in time?

Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page