Peachtree or Cambridge? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-19-2012, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am searching for a compact, "all-in-one" unit for my bedroom system. Speakers are Swan M1. I may upgrade at some point so a bit of extra headroom is not required, but it is certainly helpful. I am willing to sacrifice a bit of sound quality for a simplified DAC + Pre + Power Amp design because this will be in my bedroom. 24/192 for USB DAC is required, this will be connected to my laptop.

Considering this, a few new products have been announced to answer my prayers. First is the Peachtree Decco65. I have confirmed that this uses an XMOS chip which is very high on my priority list. This allows for USB connection to Windows and most importantly, to Linux. Huge points for this feature. Second is the Sabre DAC. I have always wanted to try a Sabre DAC and I think this would be a good opportunity for that. The Nova125 is another option, but it seems to be exactly the same except for the power. I do not believe I need that much power.

Another option is something from Cambridge Audio. I recently spent a lot of time auditioning the DACMagic Plus and I was very happy with it. However, my roommate ended up ordering FOUR of them before he found one that did not suffer from noise in the left channel and a staticky hum coming straight from the DACMagic Plus itself. :thumbsdn: This happened on 2 of the four units he received. Hopefully Cambridge doesn't have a production issue they are not addressing. The DM+ also uses an XMOS USB chip.

Cambridge Audio 651A + DACMagic Plus
or
Cambridge Audio 851A + DACMagic Plus

Has anyone compared Cambridge and Peachtree gear? I have never heard Peachtree gear and I have only recently been able to listen to the DACMagic Plus which has impressed me. How do these two companies products compare? Other suggestions are welcome as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-19-2012, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently auditioned and purchased a NAD 356DAC. It is a 2 channel integrated amp with a DAC with USB and optical inputs. It sounded nice with my Dynaudio Focus 160s. It's goes for about 800.

If DooDoo said it, IT MUST BE TRUE!!!
post #3 of 4 Old 07-19-2012, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I suggest that you consider the Music Hall A15.2 integrated amplifier for $499 from Music Direct with its companion DAC 15.2 for an additional $299.

Both are exceptionally good products for the price, and the DAC is very compact. You can put it out of sight somewhere or behind something else.

The amplifier is the best I have heard for under $1000. I like it much better than the NAD or Cambridge Audio products for under $1000.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-19-2012, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 293
For your setup I would be inclined to go with the Decco65. It's a great all-in-one solution with a longer warranty and improved amp section compared to its predecessor.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page