3.55mm headphones tv port vs receiver headphones port question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-19-2012, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, question here, i bought the headphone Sennheiser RS 170.

I was wondering if there would be any difference in quality between :

3.55mm headphones port on my tv (samsung 46c6000) and if i where to buy a receiver with dts-master and so on and plug my headphones in that.

Just curious.^^

Thank you.

Not allowed to list my equipment =(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-19-2012, 08:55 PM

Liked: 11
You may be surprised how good the sound is directly off the Samsung's headphone jack -- although depending on the headphones you may get more volume and maybe a bit more punch running them off the receiver. Plus it would probably be easier to connect/disconnect the headphones from the receiver than from the TV itself.

The audio quality off the headphone jack on my 22" Samsung is outstanding; I have it connected to a 2-channel receiver and it sounds surprisingly good (especially given how craptacular the built-in speakers on that TV sound).
Leito1987 likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-19-2012, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your comment, really nice to read !

post #4 of 5 Old 07-20-2012, 04:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leito1987 View Post

Hey guys, question here, i bought the headphone Sennheiser RS 170.
I was wondering if there would be any difference in quality between :
3.55mm headphones port on my tv (samsung 46c6000) and if i where to buy a receiver with dts-master and so on and plug my headphones in that.
Just curious.^^

I have a pair of RS-160 digital headphones and suspect that they are very similar to the RS170 in terms of hook up and usage.

These headphones have their own volume control, and work best if driven from a source that has a high, stable line level signal voltage (RCA jacks). In the world of analog preamps and receivers, that might mean a tape output.

Making a recommendation here is difficult without knowing more about what else you are attaching the TV to. Are you just using the internal speakers?

In my situation the TV set's only audio output is a coax digital output, so I fed that to a DAC and use that to drive the inputs of the RS160 base station.

The high dynamic range of the 16 bit digital connection to the headphones gives you a lot of latitude in terms of how you use them. However, they themselves will provide the most convenient usage if you drive them from a source that is before the TV's volume control so that you can have a full range of adjustment with the volume control on the headphones.

There are good quality headphone amplifiers with digital inputs that might apply in your situation. Adding a whole receiver if you aren't using it to drive speakers seems like overkill but given the prices they get for some of these little headphone amps, it might be the cost-effective way to go.
Leito1987 likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-20-2012, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reponce. based on your comment and the previous comment i think it is indeed a bit overkill. Thanks again both, u satisfied my curiosity =D

Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page