post #211 of 214 Old 08-14-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

One way to do blind testing with devices like this is to have a person who is hidden from all of the listeners.
Let him flip a coin in secret and make a numbered secret list of unknowns. Since there are more than 2 choices he should flip a number of coins, count heads as 0 and tails as 1 on the first coin he picks up after each toss, then heads as 2 and tails as 3 on the second coin he picks up, etc., and sum the value of the coins tossed for each unknown.
Then when the listeners call out a trial number, he consults the list and selects the filter associated with that number. They write down the filter number they think they are listening to and keep their results to themselves.
When all of the trials are complete, compare the secret operator's list with the listener's lists.
Score in accordance with this:
http://home.provide.net/~djcarlst/abx_bino.htm
I would not do the test this way. The task of identifying one of 8 filters is absurdly difficult. The risk of a false negative would be high. All we need to know is, can they distinguish between any two filters. You could pick two at random. Or you could let the subjects decide in advance which two filters are most distinguishable.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 214 Old 08-15-2012, 03:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

I would not do the test this way. The task of identifying one of 8 filters is absurdly difficult. The risk of a false negative would be high. All we need to know is, can they distinguish between any two filters. You could pick two at random. Or you could let the subjects decide in advance which two filters are most distinguishable.

I totally agree with this. But I was under the impression that the people doing the test were shall we say very optimistic about their hearing abilities.
post #213 of 214 Old 08-15-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

I totally agree with this. But I was under the impression that the people doing the test were shall we say very optimistic about their hearing abilities.
Yeah, Arny's, but let's at least give 'em a fighting chance!

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #214 of 214 Old 08-15-2012, 08:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

Yeah, Arny's, but let's at least give 'em a fighting chance!

The bad news is that they don't have one and never will, no matter how they simplify the test.

There is only one way to "hear" differences among the settings of this product, and that is with a sighted or single-blind evaluation. ;-)
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page