Looking to set up a good dedicated music set-up. Help please :) - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 48 Old 08-01-2012, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
WagBoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post

Seems like what you want is near-field speakers that I'm not familiar with. But for mid-field and under $1000 budget, try Focal Chorus bookshelves or Paradigm Studio 10s. Biggest upgrade you'll see over your Polk.

I would probably be looking for mid field, I was just saying that the current set-up I have is that my speakers are on my desk, but I am willing to reposition my desk so that my speakers are on the far side of the room ~10 ft away from me.

How much do you typically see Studio 10's go for? The paradigm dealer near me has them for 1199...
WagBoss is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 48 Old 08-01-2012, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
smasher50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: right behind you
Posts: 2,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 1496
fwiw, look into the nht classic 3's great speaker for the price $800 imo best all around sounding speaker in its price range

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
smasher50 is offline  
post #33 of 48 Old 08-01-2012, 11:02 PM
Senior Member
 
kzhtoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by WagBoss View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post

Seems like what you want is near-field speakers that I'm not familiar with. But for mid-field and under $1000 budget, try Focal Chorus bookshelves or Paradigm Studio 10s. Biggest upgrade you'll see over your Polk.

I would probably be looking for mid field, I was just saying that the current set-up I have is that my speakers are on my desk, but I am willing to reposition my desk so that my speakers are on the far side of the room ~10 ft away from me.

How much do you typically see Studio 10's go for? The paradigm dealer near me has them for 1199...

Really? $1200 sounds like Studio 20s price. I thought 10s are under a grand. Try EBay or Audiogon, they should have some mint Paradigms.

If this is your first mid-fi, it'll blow you away. Good bang for the buck and very easy to drive, work well with most receivers.
kzhtoo is offline  
post #34 of 48 Old 08-01-2012, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
WagBoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post

Really? $1200 sounds like Studio 20s price. I thought 10s are under a grand. Try EBay or Audiogon, they should have some mint Paradigms.
If this is your first mid-fi, it'll blow you away. Good bang for the buck and very easy to drive, work well with most receivers.

Well I live in canada so they just mark everything up, even though they're made here. Studio 20's are 1699, so stupid. I always look on canadian used websites but can never find any.

Have you ever compared studio 10s to silver rx2's? Spec-wise, RX2's look better in every way.
WagBoss is offline  
post #35 of 48 Old 08-02-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,382
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by WagBoss View Post

nobody has any advice/opinions/suggestions on what speakers to get?

Here's a reference that might give you some ideas:

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16&Itemid=18

I'm particularly impressed with several models that have "Paradigm" and "Monitor" in ther names. They often show up in posts by happy campers at AVS.

BTW, Paradigm is a Canadian company...
arnyk is offline  
post #36 of 48 Old 08-02-2012, 08:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Theonetruegreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher50 View Post

fwiw, look into the nht classic 3's great speaker for the price $800 imo best all around sounding speaker in its price range

Forum member, HifiSponge, who had gone through a long rotation of some of the more impressive speakers on the forums, listed the NHT Classic 3 as one of the best speakers he had put in his room.

his thread can be found here http://www.avsforum.com/t/1139308/the-ever-changing-ht every page has a different set up of speakers, nearly.

TV's ain't theaters buddy.

My junk collection.

Theonetruegreg is offline  
post #37 of 48 Old 08-02-2012, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
WagBoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Here's a reference that might give you some ideas:
http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16&Itemid=18
I'm particularly impressed with several models that have "Paradigm" and "Monitor" in ther names. They often show up in posts by happy campers at AVS.
BTW, Paradigm is a Canadian company...

I know its Canadian, which is why its ridiculous that I can go to a dealer an hour away from the factory and they sell their speakers for 30% more then I can get if I drive down to Buffalo...
WagBoss is offline  
post #38 of 48 Old 08-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Newbie
 
nrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As previously mentioned, it will really benefit you to go and listen to different speakers to begin to get an idea what you like. I was in a similar situation 2 years ago and spent hours trolling the boards and "learning" about what i might like. Then i finally spent several hours going to 2 audio stores and listening to several brands - it was very helpful and I ended up with a pair of paradigm 60s (used) well driven by a cheap AVR

Also, consider used off of audiogon or craigslist. I have bought speakers using both avenues very successfully. If you decide on the speakers you want, you can either wait on an audiogon listing or craigslist listing (by the way, i am not talking local craigslist - i bought speakers off craigslist 1000 miles away without a problem, a bit riskier, but there are deals out there)

it seems to me the decision between monitors and floorstanders is unique to you and perhaps where others' advice would be most helpful. once that decision is made, there is a bounty of info/opinions/discussions out there with regards to the best speakers at various price points - but again, let your ears guide you
nrad is offline  
post #39 of 48 Old 08-02-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mcnarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,166
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
I know its Canadian, which is why its ridiculous that I can go to a dealer an hour away from the factory and they sell their speakers for 30% more then I can get if I drive down to Buffalo...
Yeah, well, that's capitalism. If you can afford good speakers, you have no right to complain about capitalism. smile.gif

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

mcnarus is offline  
post #40 of 48 Old 08-03-2012, 04:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,382
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by WagBoss View Post

I know its Canadian, which is why its ridiculous that I can go to a dealer an hour away from the factory and they sell their speakers for 30% more then I can get if I drive down to Buffalo...

I live in Detroit metro, often vacation in Canada and have a sister-in-law that lives in Canada, , so I know quite a bit about all that. The balance has tilted both ways over the years. I still remember people from this side popping over to Canada for the big savings. But since GST and PST and the universal health care plan the direction of money and people has been from Canada to the US.

With respect to Detroit, Windsor is the village on the outskirts of the far larger city, but a few dozen miles north Port Huron is dominated by traffic flow and commerce from Sarnia and east. They doubled the bridge about 10 years ago.

An amazing number of people on the US side started out in Canada: My wife's family, my daughter-in-law's family, many of my friends and associates, etc., etc.
arnyk is offline  
post #41 of 48 Old 08-03-2012, 04:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,382
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

Yeah, well, that's capitalism. If you can afford good speakers, you have no right to complain about capitalism. smile.gif

It's not so much capitalism nearly as much as it is the cost of socialism. One basic rule about vacationing in Canada: if money matters to you, bring what you can.
arnyk is offline  
post #42 of 48 Old 08-03-2012, 06:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,758
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 779
PSB is another Canadian speaker company that would be worth looking into. You ought to be able to find a place to listen to them, even if they are cheaper buying through the US.

As far as towers vs. bookshelves, for bass heavy music (e.g., rap and techno), I prefer bookshelves with a sub over towers because (a) flexibility of subwoofer placement for best bass response in the room, (b) a good sub will outperform towers at lower bass frequencies, and (c) so I can run the sub a little hot and emphasize the bass smile.gif

For a $1000 budget for bookshelves and a sub, look at the Jamo Sub 650 on sale for $300 at Vanns. That's a 12" sub with a 650 watt Bash amp, a great deal at that price. It also is a sealed sub, which should give you a little bit tighter bass response over comparably priced (and value) ported subs. That would then leave you $700 for the bookshelves.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #43 of 48 Old 08-03-2012, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
WagBoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

PSB is another Canadian speaker company that would be worth looking into. You ought to be able to find a place to listen to them, even if they are cheaper buying through the US.
As far as towers vs. bookshelves, for bass heavy music (e.g., rap and techno), I prefer bookshelves with a sub over towers because (a) flexibility of subwoofer placement for best bass response in the room, (b) a good sub will outperform towers at lower bass frequencies, and (c) so I can run the sub a little hot and emphasize the bass smile.gif
For a $1000 budget for bookshelves and a sub, look at the Jamo Sub 650 on sale for $300 at Vanns. That's a 12" sub with a 650 watt Bash amp, a great deal at that price. It also is a sealed sub, which should give you a little bit tighter bass response over comparably priced (and value) ported subs. That would then leave you $700 for the bookshelves.

I already have 4 different subs so I probably won't need to buy one. lol
WagBoss is offline  
post #44 of 48 Old 08-03-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,758
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by WagBoss View Post

I already have 4 different subs so I probably won't need to buy one. lol

No doubt. LOL

In that case, I think bookshelves make a lot of sense for you. With many people, the choice is spending their money for 2 channel audio on towers vs. bookshelves with a sub to get good low end response with their setup. You can devote your entire budget just to the bookshelves.

Check out the Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1s. Lot of love for these bookshelves in the AVS speaker forum (see the owners thread--over 2500 posts discussing the Sierra line).

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #45 of 48 Old 08-03-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Class A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by WagBoss View Post

I know its Canadian, which is why its ridiculous that I can go to a dealer an hour away from the factory and they sell their speakers for 30% more then I can get if I drive down to Buffalo...To bad you're not near New Hampshire. Zero sales tax. We get lots of visits from Massachusetts. As our License Plate states "Live Free or Die".
Class A is offline  
post #46 of 48 Old 09-14-2012, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
WagBoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
So I went and listened to some speakers today. Did blind testing on paradigm monitor 11's, paradigm studio 10's, paradigm studio 60's and monitor audio rx2's.

I could tell them all apart very easily basically right away. The studio line blew the monitor's out of the water. The rx2's sounded really bad to me, they are completely out classed by the studio 10's in my opinion. The studio 60's were very similar to the 10's , other then slightly lower bass extension. definitely not worth over 2x the price. I will probably go with studio 10's if I can find some for a good deal.
WagBoss is offline  
post #47 of 48 Old 09-14-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,758
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Glad you found something you like smile.gif

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #48 of 48 Old 09-14-2012, 07:21 PM
Senior Member
 
kzhtoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by WagBoss View Post

So I went and listened to some speakers today. Did blind testing on paradigm monitor 11's, paradigm studio 10's, paradigm studio 60's and monitor audio rx2's.

I could tell them all apart very easily basically right away. The studio line blew the monitor's out of the water. The rx2's sounded really bad to me, they are completely out classed by the studio 10's in my opinion. The studio 60's were very similar to the 10's , other then slightly lower bass extension. definitely not worth over 2x the price. I will probably go with studio 10's if I can find some for a good deal.

Exactly! That's how I feel 60s vs. 10s. So I sold my 60s and got Focal bookshelves (I also have Paradigm Sub12).
kzhtoo is offline  
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off