What to upgrade next? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-31-2012, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello guys, I recently "downgraded" from the popular 5.1 Pioneer Andrew Jones to a pair of Klipsch RF3's. The difference was massive and I love the RF3's. I am currently running them as 2.0. I usually only play games and watch movies so 100% HT.

I would rather stick to stereo until I get my own place in the future so what should I upgrade? I am running HDMI out from my PC to a Denon 591 receiver. Could I get better sound if I sold the Denon receiver and purchased a stereo dac and a separate amp?

I am happy with the sound that I have now, but if I could maximize the sound of the RF3's for a little amount of money I will try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-31-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 614
You're unlikely to hear any improvement by replacing your electronics. The sonic improvements provided by changing electronics tend to be very subtle.

However, if you haven't already done so, be sure to run the receiver's Audyssey room equalization calibration: that'll make a significant improvement in sound quality.

Another major audio improvement could be noticed if you add a 10-12" subwoofer to your speaker configuration. Even the best floor-standing "full-range" speakers can't do justice to the low frequencies present in many games and action movies. Of course, if you're living in an apartment or other shared housing, your neighbors might object if you play loud or late at night. Low frequencies tend to travel easily through most construction materials, unlike the higher frequencies.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #3 of 9 Old 07-31-2012, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1207
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjimenez View Post

Hello guys, I recently "downgraded" from the popular 5.1 Pioneer Andrew Jones to a pair of Klipsch RF3's. The difference was massive and I love the RF3's. I am currently running them as 2.0. I usually only play games and watch movies so 100% HT.
I would rather stick to stereo until I get my own place in the future so what should I upgrade? I am running HDMI out from my PC to a Denon 591 receiver. Could I get better sound if I sold the Denon receiver and purchased a stereo dac and a separate amp?
I am happy with the sound that I have now, but if I could maximize the sound of the RF3's for a little amount of money I will try.

Two words: Powered subwoofer.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-31-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Two words: Powered subwoofer.

Two more words: Room treatment.

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #5 of 9 Old 07-31-2012, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I do not think I can add a sub at this point. Like you guys mentioned the neighbors will not be happy. Is there any bang for you buck room treatment I could try? I would like to spend less than 300$ starting out if at all possible.

Also, would running audessey on a stereo setup benefit me at all? I was under the assumption that it was meant for a surround setup only.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-31-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 348
If you already have speakers you like, $300 is unlikely to buy you much if any improvement.

Room treatment is, as you might guess, very room-specific, so you might be better off waiting until you're settled someplace.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #7 of 9 Old 07-31-2012, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1207
Quote:

I do not think I can add a sub at this point. Like you guys mentioned the neighbors will not be happy. Is there any bang for you buck room treatment I could try? I would like to spend less than 300$ starting out if at all possible.
Also, would running audessey on a stereo setup benefit me at all? I was under the assumption that it was meant for a surround setup only.

Audessy could be a bang-for-the-buck winner for you. I know of no reason why it can't help a 2.0 system.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-31-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

1) Optimize speaker and listener placement. The listener should be close as he can get to the speakers without getting into their near field (ex - an 8' equilateral triangle). Everything should be a decent 4-5' to any room boundary. Slightly off-center in the room. Move things fore and aft as needed to avoid room modes.

2) Get sub-woofers. The best placement for bass below the Schroeder frequency and higher frequencies are not the same. You really need to keep low bass out of speakers with domestic sized bass drivers to avoid distortion.

3) Get better speakers.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-01-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

Room treatment is, as you might guess, very room-specific, so you might be better off waiting until you're settled someplace.

All rooms are improved with bass traps and absorbers at the side-wall reflection points. Further, treatment can be taken with you when you move, just like speakers and other gear.

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page