Starter turntable: Denon DP-300F or spring for the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 08-02-2012, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Some background: I just christened my first "real" AV system and want to get my feet wet with vinyl. The system is primarily designed as a living room home theater, and will be used roughly 70% HT and 30% music, so it will never be ideal for 2.0 audio, but music still sounds great on it, far better than any system I've had before. Receiver is a Yamaha V673 (no phono input so I need a preamp) and the main speakers are DefTech DI6.5S 6.5" in-walls and a MartinLogan Dynamo 500 Sub.

Most of my records will be from my dad's record collection at first, with lots of 60s and 70s-era rock: Beatles, Stones, Dylan, Clapton, Steely Dan, Chicago, CSNY, Beach Boys, etc. The LPs are all 25-50 years old and they haven't been religiously preserved, but they're in good condition and have been reasonably well stored and taken care of. I will be getting more new and used records as I go, but the bulk of the collection will be these older LPs for a while. With that background, I don't want to go overboard (yet) given the limitations of the system and the records themselves, but I don't want to sell myself short on sound quality either.

I've narrowed my choices down to the DP-300F, Pro-Ject Debut III and Pro-Ject Debut Carbon. I'd want to keep the budget as close to $300 as I can, but I can justify $400-500 for a major bump in quality. My heart says spring for the Carbon since it looks cool and I probably won't need to upgrade it unless I change out my entire system or collect a lot of newer high-quality records, but that means maxing out my budget right out of the gate. My head says just get the Denon for now, which is a good turnkey solution for my system at half the price, and trade up to the Carbon later. I've heard mixed reviews on the Denon's stock cartridge - is it any good? If not, should I get a Denon with a new cartridge or just get the Carbon straight away? The Debut III is another possibility, but the Carbon seems like much better bang for the buck for a small jump in price, so the III is probably out unless I can get a fantastic deal.

Related question: Can I get away with a super cheap ($15-20) preamp with the Debut III or Carbon as a stopgap before I get a better ($100+) preamp, or am I better off with the stock Denon?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 08-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
FWIW I have a Debut III, which over time I upgraded the felt mat to a Herbie's, swapped the cartridge to a 2M Blue, and added a Speedbox. Used Debut III's are going to get cheaper and cheaper, maybe find a great deal and use that as a starting point and add upgrades later on down the road? Or just get the Carbon biggrin.gif

But this satisfied Pro-Ject fan votes for the Carbon. Also, if you do get the Denon, you will spend many hours drooling over the Carbon/other P-J TT playing the "if only I..." game wink.gif

2.0 > 7.1
post #3 of 27 Old 08-02-2012, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaphile View Post

FWIW I have a Debut III, which over time I upgraded the felt mat to a Herbie's, swapped the cartridge to a 2M Blue, and added a Speedbox. Used Debut III's are going to get cheaper and cheaper, maybe find a great deal and use that as a starting point and add upgrades later on down the road? Or just get the Carbon biggrin.gif
But this satisfied Pro-Ject fan votes for the Carbon. Also, if you do get the Denon, you will spend many hours drooling over the Carbon/other P-J TT playing the "if only I..." game wink.gif

Thanks for the input! Any opinion on inexpensive preamps? Will cheapos like the Behrringer PP400 ($22) and the Art DJ Pre II ($40) work in the short term or do I need to spend $100 on a Phonobox MM or something better? The Art DJ seems like the best value for under $100, and it's cheap enough that I can justify splurging on the Carbon.

post #4 of 27 Old 08-02-2012, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 1110
fwiw, i own a art dj pre II and imo for $40 its the best bang for the buck. it s just as good as my cambridge audio 550 pre that cost me over $100 a few years ago, just my 2 cents

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #5 of 27 Old 08-02-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Check out this phono preamp as well.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #6 of 27 Old 08-03-2012, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

Found an open box red Debut III for $300 from crutchfield. Also ordered the Pro-ject phonobox MM and Art DJ to compare. I figure the $60 bump to the Phonobox is worth it if I can tell the difference between the two. Will let you know how it turns out.

post #7 of 27 Old 08-03-2012, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
The Denon is a pretty decent turntatble the only problem is the cart it comes with is terrible. Change the cart to a Shure 97Xe and you'll have a nice starter setup.smile.gif
post #8 of 27 Old 08-03-2012, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post

The Denon is a pretty decent turntatble the only problem is the cart it comes with is terrible. Change the cart to a Shure 97Xe and you'll have a nice starter setup.smile.gif

That's what I was afraid of with the Denon. If I have to upgrade right away, that pushes the price close enough to the Debut III that I'm better off just starting with the Debut, which looks cooler anyway smile.gif

post #9 of 27 Old 08-03-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Project is a very solid choice. The Ortofon OM-5 MM cart is quite nice. However if you want to shell out $40 more the Ortofon 2M
red will kick it up a notch. I've been using a 2M Blue on my 1986 Linn w/very nice results. Just something to consider. Enjoy the music.smile.gif
post #10 of 27 Old 08-03-2012, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Project is a very solid choice. The Ortofon OM-5 MM cart is quite nice. However if you want to shell out $40 more the Ortofon 2M
red will kick it up a notch. I've been using a 2M Blue on my 1986 Linn w/very nice results. Just something to consider. Enjoy the music.smile.gif

That's what I hear, too. Once I have the table up and running, my next purchase is probably a record cleaning system, since most oft the albums I'll have access to have been in storage for 20 years or more and many have never been cleaned. A new needle is probably next after that if I decide to dive deeper.

The Debut III is due to arrive on Monday, but it's open box, so if it's dinged up or seems out of whack it's probably going back. If I can't tell the difference between the Phonobox and the DJ Art preamps, I'll return the Phonobox too, which will give me an extra $60 to bump up to the Carbon (which has the Red preinstalled) if I'm not happy with the Debut III.

post #11 of 27 Old 08-07-2012, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Got the Debut III up and running last night, and very pleased so far. No dings, and no problems with the sound (once I got it set up correctly, more on that later). The only issues is that the stylus is bent to the side toward the center of the record more than I'd like. The consensus is that some inward bias is OK, and that if it gets moved too far, it will return to center with time, so I'm not too worried, but I'm keeping an eye on it. It's less bent now the more I play it, and it's not screwing up the sound in either channel, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

When I initially set it up, the sound was pretty bad, though. Instruments sounded OK, but vocals were distorted and weak, and all the records I tried were very prone to skipping. I was ready to return it but figured out by accident that I had been adjusting the counterweight incorrectly, and that the tracking force was too low. I had balanced the tonearm by sliding the counterweight along the arm, but the internal thread in the CW wasn't grabbing the guide on the tonearm, so when I then turned the CW to adjust the tracking force, the CW was just spinning in place. During one of these tests, it popped onto the guide, and I saw that the rotation was now actually moving the CW up and down the tonearm. This made the initial balancing much easier, and then dialing in the tracking force was simple too. After that, sound and tracking were greatly improved. Big relief. One record still has a stubborn nick that makes it skip every time (right at the beginning of Back in Black - grrr), but everything else I've played is tracking well, and it all sounds good.

Interesting note on the Art DJ v. the Phonobox MM. When the tracking force was screwed up, the phonobox was putting out a much better sound than the Art DJ, but once I got the tracking force fixed, I couldn't tell the difference. So phonobox is going back today, and I'm saving the $60 toward a record washer. smile.gif

post #12 of 27 Old 08-09-2012, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD NC View Post

The only issues is that the stylus is bent to the side toward the center of the record more than I'd like. The consensus is that some inward bias is OK, and that if it gets moved too far, it will return to center with time, so I'm not too worried, but I'm keeping an eye on it. It's less bent now the more I play it, and it's not screwing up the sound in either channel, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

The stylus is still off vertical after several days, so on the advice of folks in another thread, I called Crutchfield to get the stylus replaced. They don't carry the OM 5E as a standalone, so they said they could offer me a "comparable" Sumiko stylus. To my surprise, they offered me a Sumiko Pearl as a replacement for no charge - not too shabby!. So in the end, it looks like I scored a Debut III with a Pearl stylus for just under $300.

post #13 of 27 Old 08-10-2012, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I believe the OM5 is a much superior cartridge to the Sumiko Pearl, at least from what I have read. And the OM series all use the same basic body, so you can just put the stylus from a higher model, such as an OM10 in and will improve the sound.
post #14 of 27 Old 08-10-2012, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrox View Post

I believe the OM5 is a much superior cartridge to the Sumiko Pearl, at least from what I have read. And the OM series all use the same basic body, so you can just put the stylus from a higher model, such as an OM10 in and will improve the sound.

Huh, the reviews I've read say the opposite. They're definitely different, but from what I've seen, the Pearl looks to be the better cart on balance. The closest I found to a direct comparo of the two was the S&V review of the Project RM 1.3, which gives a nice rundown of the pros and cons of both carts. If I were spending $100 of my own money, I'd probably get the Red over the Pearl, or just return the Debut III and spend the extra $100 on the carbon with a stock Red and a better tonearm, but as a replacement for the stock OM 5E cart, I'm very happy to get the Pearl as a replacement.

My choices were limited anyway, because Crutchfield has a very small selection of standalone carts, pretty much the Sumiko Oyster line and that's it. Given that my only options were to return the whole unit and try to find another deal on a Debut III or to spend more money, I can't complain that they replaced my cart with the best MM cart they carry, no questions asked. I'll let you know my impressions of the Pearl vs. the OM 5E when it comes in.

Here's the RM 1.3 article with the comparo:
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/review-pro-ject-rm-13-turntable?page=0,2

post #15 of 27 Old 08-10-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

The Pearl is a nice smooth sounding cart for $100. I does well w/older vinyl. Sumiko is better known for it's higher end MC carts but this is a very musical cart and a nice upgrade from the Ortofon. Yes you can upgrade the OM5 to a 30,20 or 10 but it will cost you. Enjoy the free upgrade and buy some records.
post #16 of 27 Old 08-10-2012, 06:06 PM

Liked: 38
As I once actually owned one, I second the vote of confidence on the Pearl. It was on an RM 1.3 that I eventually sold when I upgraded to the RM 5.1SE. The Pearl is a very nice musical cartirdge that I found to be very well balanced performing well with all types of music. As a vinyl junkie since the mid seventies, I have owned and heard quIte a few - Shure V15's in all variants, Audio Technicas and yes, evn Ortofons. At $125 list, the Pearl is great cartridge and value. As Class A says, enjoy it and buy some records.

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
post #17 of 27 Old 08-10-2012, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The Pearl is a nice smooth sounding cart for $100. I does well w/older vinyl. Sumiko is better known for it's higher end MC carts but this is a very musical cart and a nice upgrade from the Ortofon. Yes you can upgrade the OM5 to a 30,20 or 10 but it will cost you. Enjoy the free upgrade and buy some records.

Got the Pearl installed and it sounds great. It also happens to address the few issues I had with the OM 5E, namely the tracking problems and the relatively weak low end*. My copy of Back in Black has a stubborn nick on the title track that the 5E couldnt get past, but the pearl handles it without a hitch. I've played several sides of records in varying condition and no skips so far - a very good sign since most of my records are 30+ years old. The bass response is not thumping by any means, but it is much more balanced than the 5E. Overall, very pleased.

*I have no way of knowing whether these flaws were caused by the needle in the 5E being off kilter or by the cart itself, so I can't judge the 5E on that basis. All I know is that the Pearl fits my needs to a tee.

post #18 of 27 Old 08-10-2012, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I stand corrected. I have read a few reviews of turntables that came with the Pearl and they were not positive.
Edit: Ok, it was the Oyster, not the Pearl. The Oyster is much cheaper.
Sorry for the bad information.
post #19 of 27 Old 08-11-2012, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I suggest the Music Hall MMF-2.2 for a turntable; $450 complete.

The Musical Fidelity V-LPS phono preamp id about $150, and is one of the best for under $500. Highly recommended.
post #20 of 27 Old 08-12-2012, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrox View Post

I stand corrected. I have read a few reviews of turntables that came with the Pearl and they were not positive.
Edit: Ok, it was the Oyster, not the Pearl. The Oyster is much cheaper.
Sorry for the bad information.

That makes sense. I had read the oyster, and even the black pearl, are no that great, but that the pearl overachieves. Im told the pearl sounds even better after the break in period, so I'm looking forward to that. I think my wife is already tired if me spinning records though smile.gif

post #21 of 27 Old 08-12-2012, 07:46 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Whet you choose turntable, it is most wise to separate table itself and cartridge. In budget segment most cartridges that come with a table are poorly performing low cost units. They are there just for a matter of offering "complete" solution. But if you worry about sound quality, ditch whatever comes with table and get new cartridge right away. If you follow that path, you get best table for the money, regardless of what cartridge comes with it (best would be no cartridge at all). Also do not forget that you MUST have speed box with every Pro-Ject table, without it these tables (and MMF too) cannot provide even decent results in speed stability.
post #22 of 27 Old 08-13-2012, 12:28 PM

Liked: 10
you might want to pick up a cheapy used turntable from craigslist to see if this is truly something you want to get into. Like you, I have some old records that I wanted to play again, I was all gung-ho about getting a turntable few months ago and ordered the Denon, luckily, it was backordered, so I won't have it for another 3 weeks. Then I saw an ad in craigslist for an used panasonic automatic turntable for $50. I got that, figured it would tide me over until they ship the Denon. Man, it was snap pop crackle time, and brought back all the memory why I hated records. So then I realized in order to get clean song out my old records, I'd probably need to invest a vacuum cleaner, and those things aren't cheap. And unlike CD player, I have to get up in order to skip to the next song, etc, all of these quickly cured my upgraditis, and I cancelled the Denon order. I still use the panasonic turntable once in a while and would buy a record here and there, but I probably won't invest more money into this. Just my personal experience, YMMV.
post #23 of 27 Old 08-14-2012, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

Whet you choose turntable, it is most wise to separate table itself and cartridge. In budget segment most cartridges that come with a table are poorly performing low cost units. They are there just for a matter of offering "complete" solution. But if you worry about sound quality, ditch whatever comes with table and get new cartridge right away. If you follow that path, you get best table for the money, regardless of what cartridge comes with it (best would be no cartridge at all). Also do not forget that you MUST have speed box with every Pro-Ject table, without it these tables (and MMF too) cannot provide even decent results in speed stability.

Good advice, but I wouldn't go so far as to say any of these upgrades are essential to get right away. One of the things that drew me to the Project was that it performs well out of the box, and also has a lot of room for upgrades down the road. Obviously, a $300 table is going to have drawbacks, but the stock Debut III still sounds really nice, even with some of my more banged up records. The Pearl is a great free upgrade over the stock OM 5E, but the 5E isn't a bad cartridge to start with. Same with the speedbox - the consensus is that it improves speed stability quite a bit, but I can't say that speed stability is a problem without it.

I'm looking forward to upgrading over time, but this setup feels like I could go a long time without upgrading and never feel like I'm missing out.

post #24 of 27 Old 08-14-2012, 08:42 PM

Liked: 10
Also a very happy pro-ject customer here. I have the blue Debut III with the 2m Blue cart upgrade, acrylic platter,pro-ject speedbox, and pro-ject phonobox II. Go for the carbon with the 2m Red upgrade!
post #25 of 27 Old 08-18-2012, 07:36 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardyc View Post

you might want to pick up a cheapy used turntable from craigslist to see if this is truly something you want to get into. .

That is the best answer. I usually use a Technics 1200 with a Denon 110 cartridge (connected to a cheap TCC preamp) but last week, picked up a mint
Pioneer pl 41 with stock pioneer cartridge and new stylus for $150- this thing is much better than tables you are considering. Plus, there are two roads I can take with this:
Be happy with it in its totally stock form or,
Replace the tone arm with a newer, low mass one and get a different cartridge. Option two sounds like fun to me. I watch the craigslist and have seen some
awesome tables for sale, classic totl Optonica, Kenwood and a few Dual tables that my wife would kill me if I dragged them home, all for around $100. Just watch the ads, I'd rather pay bottom dollar for the craftsmanship of totl table made in China than top dollar for crap made today in China.
post #26 of 27 Old 08-18-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclark View Post

That is the best answer. I usually use a Technics 1200 with a Denon 110 cartridge (connected to a cheap TCC preamp) but last week, picked up a mint
Pioneer pl 41 with stock pioneer cartridge and new stylus for $150- this thing is much better than tables you are considering. Plus, there are two roads I can take with this:
Be happy with it in its totally stock form or,
Replace the tone arm with a newer, low mass one and get a different cartridge. Option two sounds like fun to me. I watch the craigslist and have seen some
awesome tables for sale, classic totl Optonica, Kenwood and a few Dual tables that my wife would kill me if I dragged them home, all for around $100. Just watch the ads, I'd rather pay bottom dollar for the craftsmanship of totl table made in China than top dollar for crap made today in China.
Check out the thread he already has the Pro-ject and just added a Sumilko Pearl to the tonearm.smile.gif
post #27 of 27 Old 08-23-2012, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Check out the thread he already has the Pro-ject and just added a Sumilko Pearl to the tonearm.smile.gif

Oddly enough, my experience with replacing the cartridge reconfirmed that I made the right decision by paying a little more for a new player rather than finding a nicer used player.

I think dclark is spot on that you can get a fantastic used turntable for much less than the cost of a decent entry level TT, but the catch is that you have to know what you're looking at first. I've definitely gotten the bug even after these last few weeks, and I'm sure I'll be looking at upgrades and nicer used players in no time, but that wouldn't have happened if the Debut hadn't been a good performer out of the box. The beauty is that the Debut will probably hold its value enough, especially with the Pearl, that I should be able to get a nice upgrade for no cash out of pocket when I'm ready.

The Debut is considered very easy to set up, but as someone completely new to turntables, it took me a while to get it set up correctly, and it was not clear to me right away that the cartridge was damaged either. Also, once I got the new cart, installing it was not simple. It wasn't particularly difficult once I figured it out, but it required a lot of precision, and was daunting enough for this turntable novice that I did a lot of homework on cartridge installation and alignment before I attempted what is one of the simpler turntable upgrades.

So that was my experience with a brand new player. If I had gone for a used player, I would probably have had to deal with the new cartridge out of the gate, plus figuring out whether the arm and belt were in good shape and working correctly, and any number of other things, all without having a good frame of reference for what a working turntable should look, operate and sound like. I could see it being much easier to get in over my head, and much easier to screw up the setup and blame the subpar sound on the table rather than the setup. None of these things are too hairy for someone who's had a TT already, but for if you're like me and have a box of old records and just want to see what all the fuss is about, spending a little extra on a new, quality entry level table is well worth it.

Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page