Power Amp and Preamp Choices to Buy - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-07-2012, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am leaning toward getting a pair of Ascend Towers...

Which of these amps does everybody like and why?... And, what about a good pre-amp choice?...

Rotel 1582 Emotiva XA-2 Vincent SP-331
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-09-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 256
IMO the Vincent is a MUCH better-sounding amplifier. It was a "Product of the Year" a couple of years ago in The Absolute Sound magazine. It is far better than anything I know of for a comparable price.

The Vincent SA-31 preamp is only $650 and is the only one under $1000 that I would have any use for. It is amazing for its price.

The next step up would be the Conrad-Johnson Classic for $2000.

An integrated amplifier that has comparable sound quality and power is the Music Hall A70.2, which runs $1500.

The Ascend Towers are decent speakers, but because they are made in the USA they are twice the price they should be. They compete nicely with speakers from PSB and Monitor Audio and KEF that cost $1000 per pair, but at $2000 they are ridiculously overpriced.

The PSB Image T5 towers sound just about the same as them, for $999, and the PSB Image T6 is a MUCH better speaker, for $1300 per pair.

Both the Absolute Sound and Stereophile magazines have made the Image T6 a highly-recommended Editor's Choice. I have since upgraded to other speakers, but I had them for two years and there is nothing for under $2000 that will touch them except possibly the KEF Q900.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-09-2012, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 256
commsysman, are you not aware that he got the Vincent recommendation from you already??!

And you have a lot of nerve talking about Ascend again after their owner called you out for blatantly lying in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1421912/polk-audio-monitor60-series-ii-vs-ascend-sierra-1

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
post #4 of 10 Old 08-09-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

The Ascend Towers are decent speakers, but because they are made in the USA they are twice the price they should be. They compete nicely with speakers from PSB and Monitor Audio and KEF that cost $1000 per pair, but at $2000 they are ridiculously overpriced.
The PSB Image T5 towers sound just about the same as them, for $999, and the PSB Image T6 is a MUCH better speaker, for $1300 per pair.

Since you've never heard the Ascend Towers you need to STOP posting about them-you're embarrassing yourself again.

Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-09-2012, 04:45 PM

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaveav View Post

commsysman, are you not aware that he got the Vincent recommendation from you already??!
And you have a lot of nerve talking about Ascend again after their owner called you out for blatantly lying in this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1421912/polk-audio-monitor60-series-ii-vs-ascend-sierra-1
You didn't think a salesman would care about telling the truth, did you?
post #6 of 10 Old 08-09-2012, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

So, gentleman... Is anything he said in his post accurate?... Are his opinions on good ground, or not?... Thanks...
post #7 of 10 Old 08-09-2012, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 181
I think most sensible people would agree his characterization of audible differences among such SS amps as you've listed here to be wildly hyperbolic.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-09-2012, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinaholic View Post

So, gentleman... Is anything he said in his post accurate?... Are his opinions on good ground, or not?... Thanks...

He may believe so. I stopped taking anything he said valid a while back, not sure what his trip is but it's kinda strange. The Polk M60 vs Ascend posts he made are very revealing IMHO. Waiting for the Cambridge 650r to be recommended everytime I see his name, or Vandersteens, or a variety of other things some audiophool magazine has recommended.

(edited comments thinking I was in the other thread...meds after surgery are fun!). Why do you think you need a particular pre amp and amp? What do you use now? What's your budget?

post #9 of 10 Old 08-10-2012, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

I am replacing a Rotel RB1090 and a pair of B&W CDM9NT's that I lost in a house fire... I'd like to stay around $3-$3,500 to replace that setup...
post #10 of 10 Old 08-10-2012, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Give a call to Klaus Bunge at Odyssey Audio. He has a great line of Stratos & Khartago amps that are in your price range. Tell him what type of speakers you have and he will build to order. Very knowledgeable and great customer service. Product is made in the USA.smile.gif
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page