Stylus is angled to toward the center of the platter - something I need to worry about? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-09-2012, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
TT is a ProJect Debut III with a stock Ortofon OM 5E cartridge. When I unpacked it, the stylus was visibly angled to the side toward the center of the platter. This was a red flag because it's an open-box special, but this was the only physical defect I could see. Audio quality is fine from both channels, and as I played a few sides, the angling has become less pronounced. It's still not vertical, but it's significantly better than it was.

Google tells me that a little tilt on the stylus is normal because of the centripetal force of the groove against the needle and the counter force of the antiskate weight. So how much angling is too much? To my untrained eye, it doesn't look right, but this is my first turntable, so I don't know what to look for. Like I said, the sound is balanced and high quality, so I'm inclined to keep it, but if I'm destroying my records or cutting the life of my stylus short, I want to get it fixed or replaced while I'm within the return period.

Obviously, the best answer is "get a 2M Red" or "return it and buy a new debut carbon," but unfortunately, my budget doesn't allow for any upgrades at the moment. smile.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 258
If you can visually see that the stylus is not perfectly vertical, when viewed from the front when NOT in contact with the record, YOU SHOULD NEVER USE IT !!!

The suspension of the cartridge is damaged.

It will damage your records.

Replace the cartridge and don't use it until you do.

The Ortophon 2M Blue is well worth the money; it will sound much better.

I don't know who you bought it from, but you should contact them and ask for a new replacement cartridge, and then ask if they will give you some sort of discount or credit towards the Ortophon Blue as an alternative.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Do you mean the stylus, or do you mean the cantilever that holds the stylus?

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

Old 08-09-2012, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

If you can visually see that the stylus is not perfectly vertical, when viewed from the front when NOT in contact with the record, YOU SHOULD NEVER USE IT !!!
The suspension of the cartridge is damaged.
It will damage your records.
Replace the cartridge and don't use it until you do.
The Ortophon 2M Blue is well worth the money; it will sound much better.
I don't know who you bought it from, but you should contact them and ask for a new replacement cartridge, and then ask if they will give you some sort of discount or credit towards the Ortophon Blue as an alternative.

Thanks for the info - I bought the TT from Crutchfield, and they don't carry the OM 5E as a separate item, but they offered me a Sumiko Pearl as a replacement, with no need to return the defective cart. Great customer service from them as always. smile.gif

Old 08-09-2012, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

Do you mean the stylus, or do you mean the cantilever that holds the stylus?

Not sure - I think the cantilever. The stylus is straight, just off axis, and it was at a larger angle out of the box than it is now. I suspect it got banged up by the previous owner or in the factory and Crutchfield QC didn't catch it when they resold it as an open box item. No harm done, and replacement cart is on its way.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Can't beat that with a big stick! Very nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD NC View Post

Thanks for the info - I bought the TT from Crutchfield, and they don't carry the OM 5E as a separate item, but they offered me a Sumiko Pearl as a replacement, with no need to return the defective cart. Great customer service from them as always. smile.gif