Cassette Decks - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-19-2012, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A forum dedicated to that magnificent medium the Cassette Tape. If you are a product of the 80's you knew exactly when to stop the tape on side A, to find the song you were looking for on side B. This forum is dedicated to those still keeping hope alive and preaching about the good ol days with tape. Sprinkle on me some Dolby B and call it day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-19-2012, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone know where I can get a couple of belts for a Sony TC-WR810 Tape Deck really cheap? Im cheap and so was this deck, but it was in great shape, I slap on some new belts and we got ourselves a party.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-20-2012, 06:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by KasabeHD View Post

Anyone know where I can get a couple of belts for a Sony TC-WR810 Tape Deck really cheap? Im cheap and so was this deck, but it was in great shape, I slap on some new belts and we got ourselves a party.

If you can't find a specific Sony belt by searching the web including ebay, then you start looking at genric belts like these:

http://www.studiosoundelectronics.com/beltmeas.htm
post #4 of 14 Old 08-20-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I'll check them out.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-20-2012, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Call Sony. They apparently keep some parts available for a very long time.

I have a very old pair of good quality Sony portable headphones that have very specific, uniquely shaped, stick-on, ear pads. A while back, I got exact replacement pads from Sony more than 20 years after purchasing them.

I found his telephone number for “Parts & Accessories” on Sony’s site:

1-239-768-7691
Phone Hours:
Monday to Friday - 8:00 am to 12 am (Midnight) ET
Saturday and Sunday - 9:00 am to 8:00 pm ET
post #6 of 14 Old 07-04-2015, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by KasabeHD View Post
A forum dedicated to that magnificent medium the Cassette Tape. If you are a product of the 80's you knew exactly when to stop the tape on side A, to find the song you were looking for on side B. This forum is dedicated to those still keeping hope alive and preaching about the good ol days with tape. Sprinkle on me some Dolby B and call it day.
A month ago, I acquired a Denon DRR-730 deck in very nice condition and have been enjoying some of my large library of cassette tapes from yesteryear. Most of them sound fairly good. The tapes which sound lousy tend to suffer from worn-down or nonexistent pressure pads or a friction-prone inner cassette shell mechanism.

Often, I find that pre-recorded tapes which were manufactured during the final years of the cassette era in clear shells - from 1990 onward - tend to be the most reliable, least prone to excessive wow-and-flutter, and benefit from improved high-speed duplication techniques.

Anyone here have much recent experience using a stereo cassette deck?
post #7 of 14 Old 07-14-2015, 04:10 AM

Liked: 18
i have acquired 2 decks recently,a Yamaha K640 and a Luxman K-111.I have a large collection of tapes from decades ago that i have storing.also have a few blank TDK SA90,which i found to be the best for recording.i recently recorded Pink Floyd's The Endless River off of the blu ray with my Yamaha,and played a comparison for my friends.they couldnt believe the sound quality when i told them it was a tape.since then i have recorded numerous Pink Floyd cd's onto some TDK's that i have.sounds great paired with my Marantz receiver in my bedroom.btw,i record cd's with no Dolby noise reduction used.i find it sounds better.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-14-2015, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have an old Denon cassette deck and a couple hundred tapes stored away in a wardrobe. I rarely play them anymore, but last time I did was for the kids as they were intrigued to see what they were and watching the tape counter move !! I've been enjoying the vinyl resurgence at the moment, so the tapes are now relegated to the wardrobe !! I'll make an effort in a few weeks when I have the house to myself to get the tapes out, crank it up and rock out ....hiss included!!
post #9 of 14 Old 07-18-2015, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked: 453
My Denon DRM-740 does quite nicely with my library of TDK-SA and TDK-MA tapes.

I even have a box of new, in-wrapper TDK-MA90s that I should really eBay one of these days.

I found that Dolby C with HX Pro actually worked quite nicely.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-19-2015, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I haven't undertaken any recent recordings with the Denon DRR-730 but with pop or jazz music often it's worth skipping the Dolby encoding. However, classical music generally has a wide dynamic range so Dolby is important.

Interestingly, I found in my collection three four-decade-old audiophile cassettes, the Advent CR/70 series. These were recorded on relatively slow (four times speed) tape duplicators using BASF chromium dioxide tape, excellent electronics, 70-uSec EQ and Dolby-B. Those tape titles sound quite good given their age, though one of them does exhibit a few dropouts. One contains four Haydn symphonies played by a chamber orchestra, "The Little Orchestra of London", and the performances are sprightly and the audio refreshingly ambient and realistic. Another contains music of Kurt Weill in the original woodwind jazz band scoring, while a third is a sensual reading of the Rachmaninoff Third Symphony (recorded by the now-defunct Delos Records) with the National Philharmonic conducted by Leopold Stokowski.

Somewhere in my boxes I also have three Mobile Fidelity audiophile cassettes from the early 1980s: Earl Klugh's Finger Paintings, Strauss' Also Sprach Zarathustra (Reiner/Chicago Symphony/1962) and Respighi tone poems (Cleveland Orchestra/Maazel). I recall those sounded good, but last time I auditioned these it seemed like the high frequency content had rolled off quite a bit and I needed to switch from the 70 uSec EQ specified by Mobile Fidelity to standard 120 uSec EQ, and they still didn't sound quite as vivid as my past recollections. By contrast, those early 1970s Advent tapes sounded pretty good other than the cassette shell design seemed to be good but not state-of-the-art.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-19-2015, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 180
I have a Yamaha KX-1200 3-head cassette deck that I bought for $15 from a thrift store. The motor is on constantly while the power is on and apparently the prior owner left it on 24/7. No visible wear on the transport but the brushes wore right off the motor.

I got another deck (a Sony dual deck) with one functioning motor off the same thrift store for another $15 a month later and used its one working motor as a replacement. The replacement was drop-in compatible including the pulley (plastic instead of brass but works fine). Yamaha wanted $85 for the motor. I used a 'new' (thrift store overstocked items dumping) commercial cassette recording playing against a CD copy of the same program to set the speed and it worked fine.

Last time I tried it, the Yamaha was not going into fast forward or rewind so presumably a belt has failed. It still plays though and that is all I need to transcribe tapes so I just completed my library with the machine limping along as-is. Maybe if I see something I like in the thrift store I might add one or two things to my collection on cassette but not likely to spend much time thinking about it either way. It is obsolete junk compared to what is available today.

I recorded some material with DBX back when and it really helps with dynamic range. It sounds very natural also, without that breathing in the treble of Dolby. DBX was common on home music studio multitracking and on some better home 'audiophile' cassette decks. Companding was especially important for home music studio recording because live sources have such wide dynamic range.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-21-2015, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by KasabeHD
If you are a product of the 80's you knew exactly when to stop the tape on side A, to find the song you were looking for on side B.

Hmmmmmm I havent really ever thought of it...... I LOVE CASSETTES but I dont know if I remember what songs are where (from side 1/2 like you said)
post #13 of 14 Old 07-22-2015, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Hmmmmmm I havent really ever thought of it...... I LOVE CASSETTES but I dont know if I remember what songs are where (from side 1/2 like you said)
i'd say you were more likely to carry a pen with you so you could rewind a cassette without killing the batteries in your walkman !!
post #14 of 14 Old 07-22-2015, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Fun thread idea, made more so for me by the fact that one of my two Denon decks serves as the #2 music source (CD #1 ) for our future retirement home and is used every single weekend by me.

Back in the day I recorded a few hundred great sounding cassettes of other folks' albums (and later, CDs) on a very good Denon three head deck. Even today some of the CDs I recorded then sound extremely good (although after 25-30 years a few do have drop outs).

I also remember moving from Dolby B to C although I don't think I ever used DBX. I recall reading about DBX, and it was probably one of those first things that got me interested in the possibilities of good audio and the 'high end'.

I haven' used a pencil tip on a cassette tape in years but I smile thinking about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page