2 channel set up question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-21-2012, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm setting up a small 2.1 system in my bedroom (~10'x12'x10') and I'm not sure the best way to go about it. Ill be using a pair of focal 705v speakers. it will be mostly for music, but I also want to hook up a cable box and bluray player (I will play music mostly through this). So I'll need 2 seperate inputs. A sub out would also be nice but I guess I can just run the speakers through the sub if I have to. A remote is also a necessity. I'm not sure if the best way is to get a stereo receiver or an amp or what. All my experience is with home theater receivers and do not have a lot of 2 channel experience. My big concern is getting enough power to listen at moderate levels while keeping the reciever or amp small. Its in my bedroom so I don't want some huge receiver. I have no real budget, but cheaper is obviously better and id like to stay under $200 or $300 if possible. Any suggestions of how to go about this and what specific models to buy would be a great help. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 10:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Even for 2.1 audio, I would still consider something like the Marantz 5.1 slim-line receiver.
It will have a sub out, and you can hook-up cable and Bluray systems. You will also have
bass management for your sub. It will play 2.1 audio, and will drive the Focal in that room.
http://www.amazon.com/Marantz-NR1402-AV-Receiver/dp/B0052T82H2/ref=sr_1_1?

There is a refurb one here >
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARNR1402/MARANTZ-NR1402-Slimline-5.1ch-AV-Receiver-w/HDMI-3D-ready/1.html

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Old 08-21-2012, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

I did take a look at that marantz. It does seem to fit the bill, just wasn't sure if I could do better with something 2 channel specific. And I'm always wary of any slim version electronics due to fears of overheating, but I'm sure it will be fine. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbean16 View Post

I did take a look at that marantz. It does seem to fit the bill, just wasn't sure if I could do better with something 2 channel specific. And I'm always wary of any slim version electronics due to fears of overheating, but I'm sure it will be fine. Thanks for the suggestion.

It's not extremely thin. Most receivers are 6 inches high, this one is 4 inches. Most modern receivers are big empty boxes. The last one I tore apart even had what I would consider phoney circuit cards - they had a few parts on them but were mostly a kind of jumper cable.

Also, the amp is only 50 wpc, which dramatically decreases its ability to produce heat.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbean16 View Post

The Marantz is built well and is a nice friendly option > and will make for a nice
set-up with the Focal. Also, you wanted something smaller and a remote.smile.gif

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Old 08-22-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

It's not extremely thin. Most receivers are 6 inches high, this one is 4 inches. Most modern receivers are big empty boxes. The last one I tore apart even had what I would consider phoney circuit cards - they had a few parts on them but were mostly a kind of jumper cable.
Also, the amp is only 50 wpc, which dramatically decreases its ability to produce heat.

Good information, thanks.