In need of Headphones - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-27-2012, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi guys, ATM i have ATH-A900 but the pads are dead i was looking for new pads like W2000 but there are $100 bucks...So i thought to myself do i spend the 100 bucks or buy a set that has bass smile.gif ....So today i went down to guiter center and picked up a set of KRK kns-8400 while they sound pretty good they got no bass and feel kinda small...I really need is closed back need good isolation good bass and soundstage, I do like to listen to things at high volumes and open to all types of music...This is pc powered from my Forte sound or maybe op amp on sound card needs to be changed? Any help would be great dont wanna spend over $260 thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-28-2012, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A trick I learned on the 8400's is to stuff a papertowel around the inside of the ear cup. really brings out the bass on those cans. see zombiex on headfi.org if you need more info on it.

PC/PS3/360/Wii U
PSN GT: chuckster1
XBL GT: TahoeCougar
Steam: chavan30

post #3 of 3 Old 08-29-2012, 04:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 1141
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperC View Post

Hi guys, ATM i have ATH-A900 but the pads are dead i was looking for new pads like W2000 but there are $100 bucks...So i thought to myself do i spend the 100 bucks or buy a set that has bass smile.gif ....So today i went down to guiter center and picked up a set of KRK kns-8400 while they sound pretty good they got no bass and feel kinda small...I really need is closed back need good isolation good bass and soundstage, I do like to listen to things at high volumes and open to all types of music...This is pc powered from my Forte sound or maybe op amp on sound card needs to be changed? Any help would be great dont wanna spend over $260 thanks

I did a little searching and found that replacement earpads for the ATH-A900 run around $30. That would seem to be a good first choice,

I don't know what ATH-A900s sound like but I have a pair of ATH-A700s and they are really very good. Smooth, reasonable bass, very listenable and revealing. Comfortable.

AT seems to understand how to make good sounding headphones, and I would trust them to do a good job on the ATH-A900s. I've owned maybe 5 different flavors of AT phones over the years including the semi-legendary ATH-M50, HD-280, etc . They are all IMO keepers.

You've got a ca. $250 investment in the ATH-A900s, so spending under $50 to restore them to usability makes a ton of good sense.

The KRK's look to me like a very strange thing to do, and since they are probably non-returnable, sorry about that.

Looking at the online discussion of the ATH-A900s, I think that it is easy to get distracted by a ton of internet eggspurts who blow hot and cold about everything. In reality we really don't know whether most of them would know which end of a headphone plug goes into the jack.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page