Decent LOUD boombox or shelf system? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-02-2012, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well I have a pair of Rokit powered 8 studio monitors that work for me, If I wanted more id get the matching 10 or 12" sub but my girl wants something and I remembered liking Sonys offerings, they had a lot of different boom box and shelf set ups which for a little more had a 8 or 10" sub with them. What happened to those? Did they discontinue them? I thought about the Audio engine A5's but don't know how loud they go and they want $400? I got my Rokits for only like $25 more.

Looking for something under $300 if you take out the studio quality and Kevlar woofers and bi-amped stuff that my monitors have I'm hoping to find something good sounding that will go even louder, think like house partys idk. Oh and a radio would be nice, I see most iPod set ups (she doesn't have an iPod) are ditching the radio all together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-03-2012, 06:27 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 207
This style, from JVC;

of which there's a few variations, is about as good as it gets, and under 3 bills. Built in subs, it's sweet.

Bought one a few years ago for my daughter, and i've essentially taken it over eek.gif as it does the job nicely.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #3 of 12 Old 09-08-2012, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Hmm ok il look in to it. The speakers look small how big is it? And it doesn't need to be all one it can be a shelf system.
post #4 of 12 Old 09-08-2012, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I suggest that you look at the Panasonic SC-AKX14 that Amazon has for $130.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-08-2012, 06:47 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post

Hmm ok il look in to it. The speakers look small how big is it? And it doesn't need to be all one it can be a shelf system.

It's the best typical, portable boombox (for sheer power and bass response) that I've even encountered. The two large knobs on top control the volume, and the subwoofer level. The sub level control right there is very handy and right where you want it.

post #6 of 12 Old 09-08-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 942
fwiw,dayton audio dta100a tri amp $89 at parts express,great compact amp with plenty of power and a pair of energy rc-10 bookshelves$219 at vanns great pair of speakers for their price .imo better sound than any boombox just add your music device (ipod, iphone, mp3 player, cd player etc.) purchased same system for my nieces graduation gift for her dorm along with a sansa fuze refurbished 8gb mp3 player (has fm radio also) for $42 on ebay.

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #7 of 12 Old 09-08-2012, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher50 View Post

fwiw,dayton audio dta100a tri amp $89 at parts express,great compact amp with plenty of power and a pair of energy rc-10 bookshelves$219 at vanns great pair of speakers for their price .imo better sound than any boombox just add your music device (ipod, iphone, mp3 player, cd player etc.) purchased same system for my nieces graduation gift for her dorm along with a sansa fuze refurbished 8gb mp3 player (has fm radio also) for $42 on ebay.
Hmm how loud will they go? 175watts seems nice but they only go to 50hz. How do they compare to the Panasonic SP-FS51-LR? As I have those but wasn't sure if they were loud enough with out a sub.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-08-2012, 10:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

This style, from JVC;

of which there's a few variations, is about as good as it gets, and under 3 bills. Built in subs, it's sweet.
Bought one a few years ago for my daughter, and i've essentially taken it over eek.gif as it does the job nicely.

Probably going to want to run it off of AC as much as possible. biggrin.gif

post #9 of 12 Old 09-09-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post

Hmm how loud will they go? 175watts seems nice but they only go to 50hz. How do they compare to the Panasonic SP-FS51-LR? As I have those but wasn't sure if they were loud enough with out a sub.

fwiw, the pioneer sp-fs51's are towers and don't fit into your boombox/ shelf system requirements. the rc-10's are 91db efficent at 8ohms where the pioneers are rated at 87db at 6 ohms so they will go louder at the same amount of power used .as for loudness it all depends on the size of room your talking about. if its small to medium you should have no problems of getting to levels where you have to shout to talk over. as for bass at near 50 hz they do put out decent bass and its tight not boomy ( like boomboxes the louder you go the more distorted the bass gets) imo this adequate for much music listening unless your a real bass head and or listen to deep bass music where then a sub will be needed. also the top end ( midrange and highend extension ) and of the rc-10's will not distort with higer volumes.so you get way better sound at high levels

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #10 of 12 Old 09-09-2012, 08:32 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Probably going to want to run it off of AC as much as possible. biggrin.gif

+1

Yeah, we take that thing on all our vacations and without AC, those subs will thump the internal baterries dry quite quickly. After a short time you'll sense a loss of damping factor, ...then subsequently higher audible levels of distortion to the point of being unlistenable.

I always keep a GFI and nice, long, double insulated extension cord with us for travel.

post #11 of 12 Old 09-09-2012, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher50 View Post

fwiw, the pioneer sp-fs51's are towers and don't fit into your boombox/ shelf system requirements. the rc-10's are 91db efficent at 8ohms where the pioneers are rated at 87db at 6 ohms so they will go louder at the same amount of power used .as for loudness it all depends on the size of room your talking about. if its small to medium you should have no problems of getting to levels where you have to shout to talk over. as for bass at near 50 hz they do put out decent bass and its tight not boomy ( like boomboxes the louder you go the more distorted the bass gets) imo this adequate for much music listening unless your a real bass head and or listen to deep bass music where then a sub will be needed. also the top end ( midrange and highend extension ) and of the rc-10's will not distort with higer volumes.so you get way better sound at high levels
They are the only passive speakers I have to compare. I have the surrounds to but there the smaller 4" ones. Size isn't really an issue but yeah Floor standers would look dumb on a dresser.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-17-2012, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Well I'm going to tell my aunt to get Dayton Audio B652's with the Lepai amp as she doesn't need things very loud, unless there is a more powerful amp under like $60, but I'm still looking for the system for my girl. My fear is that they wont be loud enough and or wont put out enough bass, my SP-FS51's work fine but they have 3-5 1/2" drivers vs. the RC-10's 1, but the RC-10's do handle a lot more power. It there a inexpensive amp more powerful than the dayton?

This is what I was trying to find originally http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MHCEC909iP-Hi-Fi-Shelf-System/dp/B003GZDB1Q/ref=pd_cp_e_2
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page