Channel_Master_6329_02.jpg
photo upload

Channel_Master_6329_03.jpg
photo upload

Channel_Master_6329_04.jpg
upload picture

Channel_Master_6329_05.jpg
photo hosting

Fairly decent moment of derp when I realized I couldn't hook this up to my bare wire tower speakers. Do you know if anyone makes an adapter or cable that I could use? Again the speakers have a bare wire only connection in the back.

Found a youtube video someone did of one of these
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O84XIavrZw
Hmmm, was this unit a combo thing, speaker and receiver? Like an early boom box? Heh, it's a cool little guy and it's in great shape. Not a scratch on her. I'd like to hear it. Let me know if there is a way to hook this up.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-05-2012, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 741
That isn't a receiver, it's just an 8-track with a tuner with a pre-amp. You need an amp to power your speakers (assuming your speakers are passive rather than powered, as it sounds like). You want to do this why?

post #3 of 12 Old 09-05-2012, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Okay so I'm not going to be able to power my speakers with it. Lol, this is how we learn. Well I may like this preamp more than the little one I have now.
Is it safe to hook this up to my receiver's analog in connections?

My receiver's zone 2 left channel is not working (zone 2 left, front high left, front wide left, surround back left all produce only a faint wisper). That's why I'm looking for a two channel solution for a pair of Bose 10.2 series II towers I picked up recently.
I'll be looking for a bargain amp then.
post #4 of 12 Old 09-05-2012, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Just look for an old receiver on Craigslist would be what I'd do, and hopefully that thing hasn't got some unusual line level so that you can't plug it into whatever component you want....do you actually have any 8 track tapes still?

post #5 of 12 Old 09-05-2012, 09:04 PM

Actually, I suspect it does have a small amp in it. There are two RCA connectors that are marked "Speakers" on the back. This was a common type of speaker connector on low-end all-in-ones back in the 60's / 70's.

You could try it out by either soldering new RCA connectors to your speaker leads (center is probably positive) or by cutting up an old RCA cable and splicing it to the speaker leads. It probably won't sound very good - but assuming the amp is still working - it should produce sound this way. If you don't want to risk trying it with your current speakers, you could probably pick up a cheap/junk pair from a thrift store for less than $10 and try it with those instead.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-05-2012, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

I don't believe I was alive for the 8 track era. If I was I wasn't doing anything other than drooling and soiling myself. Not that I'm doing much more than that now rolleyes.gif

I attempted to hook it up to my Onkyo 709 using the line out's on the channel master but when I turned it on a boom came from my speakers and scared me. It says 80w on the back. It also has outs for L and R speakers so I'm sure if I could locate some speakers with that type of connection it would power them. You know like little bookshelf speakers.

I just don't know what I'm doing and I don't want to damage anything. I'll put it back up on craigslist and see if someone who knows what they are doing could use it.

I would have totally rocked some 8 tracks btw. Just for the experience.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-05-2012, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzzz View Post

Actually, I suspect it does have a small amp in it. There are two RCA connectors that are marked "Speakers" on the back. This was a common type of speaker connector on low-end all-in-ones back in the 60's / 70's.
You could try it out by either soldering new RCA connectors to your speaker leads (center is probably positive) or by cutting up an old RCA cable and splicing it to the speaker leads. It probably won't sound very good - but assuming the amp is still working - it should produce sound this way. If you don't want to risk trying it with your current speakers, you could probably pick up a cheap/junk pair from a thrift store for less than $10 and try it with those instead.

You must have posted this when I was typing. I went to RS to see if they had anything. They do have cables with that type of connection at one end and bare on the other but they are real thin. Like ground wire thin. Not going to produce the sound I'm looking for. Ugggh I wish all my Onkyo's channels would work.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-05-2012, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe I'm wrong about the amp, I missed the first time that it says line out on the upper right but speaker on the bottom right, but what speakers would mate up to those rca type connections is anyone's guess...did you try googling this unit for a manual or any comments out there on the interwebz? I assume the 80w on the back there is the unit's power consumption rating, not any type of amplifier output rating but....hoo nose?

post #9 of 12 Old 09-05-2012, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert's Fish View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzzz View Post

You must have posted this when I was typing. I went to RS to see if they had anything. They do have cables with that type of connection at one end and bare on the other but they are real thin. Like ground wire thin. Not going to produce the sound I'm looking for. Ugggh I wish all my Onkyo's channels would work.

And those were added while I was writing back. For a short distance the small gauge wire may be okay but depending on the efficiency of those original speakers...hoo nose if it would be satisfactory until you try?

post #10 of 12 Old 09-05-2012, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, and you're not missing much with 8-track, if you could even find one now (have no idea, there is probably a circle of fans out there). My first car deck was an 8-track in 1971. Got ripped off one day and didn't reinstall one, went soundless in that car until it was killed (by a big Plymouth Fury). I had stock am/fm only in the next car for a while until the cassette unit was cheap enough and my part time job could justify.....

post #11 of 12 Old 09-06-2012, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi Albert's Fish,

I remember that unit. A high-school friend of mine had one in the early 70's. We used it to make tapes for the car from our albums, before the world moved on to cassette.

You can hook standard 8 ohm speakers up to it, using those RCA jacks. But it was pretty under-powered, only around 5 or 10 watts per channel. It was really low-end, but had the very cool feature of being able to record 8-track tapes from LPs. But the recording mechanism was mechanical, and sometimes it would record with bad track alignment, so you would occasionally hear two songs at once on some car 8-track players. Many a bad recording flew out the car window.

The receiver itself was painful to listen to, probably because of the poor quality of the speakers. Didn't matter, that's not what we used it for. We made tapes. Not good tapes, but that didn't matter either.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-06-2012, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16

To the OP. Just run the L&R RCA Line Out to any RCA Line In, on your AVR.  It should work fine.  Also, you can still find Eight Trax at most flea markets and thrift stores.  You may have to ask, since most of the time they get pushed out of the way.

Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page