Advice needed on Vintage Luxman Gear - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-20-2012, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Audio Lovers!

I need som advice and I hope that may be any of you may help me. I have be offered to buy a complete Luxman Vintage set-up: Luxman C-03 pre amp plus 2 x m-03 amps. I know that these unit were sold under different names in the US than in Europe, I think that the amp was named M-117, but I am not sure...

However, back to my question:

How good these electronics, I am an audiophile, I like sweet, lush sound with well difined top. Have you any experience from Luxman and this equipment, how do they compare to eg, Accuphase, McIntosh etc?

Many thank for any advice.

Kind regards,
Christian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I can't speak in comparison to the others you mention, but, I owned two Luxman receivers; An R-106 and an R-115. I would describe them as warm, lush, and full-bodied. I sold the R-106 to buy the R-115, and, kept the R-115 until a channel went out. These were absolutely some of the best sounding units I have owned, and, I would compare them against many separates.

I have since moved on to a Lexicon MC-12B and Proceed amp combination as my listening has changed to mostly HT use. Whenever I see a used Luxman come available on A-Gon or Ebay I am tempted to put together a small two-channel system.

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-12-2013, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Great! Thank you very much for you insights. It seems like I will trigger on the buy button next time I see these items for sale...
post #4 of 4 Old 03-12-2013, 01:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
I was given a Luxman LV-109 digital int amp from the early/mid-80s. Heavy (20kg) but not user friendly at all. There're about 20 buttons, switches, knobs and dials on the front and some buttons when pressed in mean one option and out another. The worse thing is some combinations of buttons mean something else! I never got used to which is which! Some of the big (LED?) lights (something like 1cm x 1cm) have stopped working and I can't tell which option is selected any more. The HT bypass input doesn't seem to work (still affected by volume control) and after some use one output channel gave cracking sound. No complaints otherwise about SQ but I like other brands better.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page