Low budget build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-26-2012, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone, this is my first post here so please be brutally honest (I need it).

I'm currently in school, and as soon as I graduate I plan to move far away to get a PhD. Through a series of fortunate circumstances and generous friends/family, I do not actually own any furniture. Because of this, I am trying to avoid purchasing anything that I can't either take with me or sell before I move.

I live in an apartment building and don't want to disturb my downstairs neighbors with a subwoofer.

My furniture is arranged in a way that I could accommodate a 5 speaker system.

I will be using this system mostly to listen to music, watch steamed movies from hulu/netflix, and watching hdtv through an antenna.

With all of this in mind, I'm leaning towards a 2.0 system. The surround speakers seem like they would almost never be used. Any subwoofer of decent quality/volume will probably give my neighbors a headache, so I'd rather go with two floorstand speakers.

As for the price range, I'm hoping someone can provide some insight. I know that for computer components there are certain performance/cost plateaus that you want to meet, but not exceed, in a build. Is this the same for speakers? Or does performance/cost degrade at a relatively constant rate? I'm hoping to spend ~$200 ( polk monitor 70 perhaps? ), but I could pay up to $300 ( veritas 6.2 or cf 50 perhaps? ) if it provides better value.

Frustratingly enough, I love my bass. However, I love not being evicted even more. I would like my speakers to provide relatively good quality sound at low frequencies, but not so low that they would rattle my floor.

I don't have a receiver yet either and have absolutely no idea what to get. I don't think I need any special features, I think I want one with a digital audio in (from the TV), at least 2x (3x ideal) hdmi inputs from my computers, and a hdmi out to provide video to the TV from the computers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-26-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 293
For speakers, consider Infinity Primus P363.

Plenty of AVRs out there with 3 or more HDMI ports, plus room correction. I'd recommend whatever's on sale at Best Buy this week that meets your connection needs.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #3 of 4 Old 09-26-2012, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

For speakers, consider Infinity Primus P363.
Plenty of AVRs out there with 3 or more HDMI ports, plus room correction. I'd recommend whatever's on sale at Best Buy this week that meets your connection needs.

Home theater receivers by Yamaha and Denon are both good choices for mixed music/home theater systems. Onkyo used to be a solid choice, too, but they've had a lot of HDMI quality control complaints with their recent models. Check out the Yamaha V373.

I don't have any speaker recommendations, but I would look into getting both full range speakers and a nice pair of headphones. If your sources are mostly OTA and online, going with a better 2.0 music-centric system rather than 5.1 is probably the right move, and you can get a lot of bang for your buck with headphones for when you want to turn the music up or watch a bass-heavy movie.

FWIW, as long as you have a thick skin, it takes a lot to get evicted for playing your music too loud. If you don't mind your neighbors hating you, go nuts. smile.gif

post #4 of 4 Old 09-26-2012, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 324
+1 on the Infinity Primus recommendation. Great budget towers and they dig fairly deep. It's always better to have a subwoofer in the mix but these towers are great for the price. For AVRs I would check out last year's Denon or Yamaha models. I'm not sure if you're interested in Airplay or networking but the Denon 1612 wouldn't be a bad choice. If you want networking you would have to step up to the 1912 or 2112.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page