Can I ask for turntable input here? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-26-2012, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Wasn't 100% sure if this was the right forum or not but I see some other turntable threads.

So basically I'm looking for some affirmation that my recent purchases were good, and also some advice. I picked up a Revolver Rebel turntable which is in excellent condition and so far (to my ears at least) it sounds very good. I have it hooked up to my Onkyo TX-NR809 phono input but from what I've read, a dedicated phono would be better. I did a little research and decided to go with a Cambridge 640p. Do you feel this is a good combination? I run the table through Polk RTi 12 speakers.

Finally, the table has a Grado G cartridge on it....do you recommend any others or is this one acceptable? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-26-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 56
The Cambridge will be fine, but the Onkyo would have been just as fine.

Basic Grados are good carts especially if just starting with vinyl. I'm assuming the stylus is in good condition.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-29-2012, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Actually, that is probably a Grado G1 cartridge (?). The phono stage in the Onkyo is not all that good, in my experience.

I highly recommend the Musical Fidelity V-LPS phono stage; it competes in sound quality with many costing several times as much; excellent!!

I am using it with a $900 Benz Micro Ace cartridge, and the sound is wonderful.
post #4 of 4 Old 09-30-2012, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 42
It depends on the type of sound you want. The Grados have a tendency to be on the warm side. W/something like a Ortofon 2M Red you'll get a more open and dynamic top end. The Shure 97Xe is somewhere in the middle and it works rather well if you have a collection of used vinyl. You could also look at the Denon DL-110 which is a high output MC cart and soundwise leans toward the Grado. Plenty of solid carts in the $75-$150 range to choose from. All carts don't sound the same and it just depends on your taste in the type of sound you want and how they match up to your speakers (warm Harbeth or revealing Thiel).smile.gif
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page